Life in SOMD

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He'll get caught. He may not do any jail time or be punished in any meaningful way, though. :ohwell:

MR47930

Yes, the cashier took the bill.

A counterfeit $100 was also passed at Subway in the same strip mall and JoAnne fabrics in PF.

Doh!

Do you guys have those pens that mark bills and turn black if its counterfeit? Sorry this happened to you guys, i'll be in soon to spend some $$ and help make up for it!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It is a federal offense...but you're right...probably slap and release.

My understanding is that counterfeiting is some serious time.

Back during the cold war days a lot of bogus money was coming out of communist eastern Europe. Western Europe nations wanted dollars and they weren't too accustomed to handling US currency on a daily basis. Fooling them was easy and there was a lot of funny money in circulation.

General Lee

My understanding is that counterfeiting is some serious time.

Back during the cold war days a lot of bogus money was coming out of communist eastern Europe. Western Europe nations wanted dollars and they weren't too accustomed to handling US currency on a daily basis. Fooling them was easy and there was a lot of funny money in circulation.

There is a difference between passing fake currency and fabricating fake currency. This mope passing a fake bill.......slap on wrist, if that. Easy defense, "I didn't know it was fake"

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
There is a difference between passing fake currency and fabricating fake currency. This mope passing a fake bill.......slap on wrist, if that. Easy defense, "I didn't know it was fake"

There was something about the states attorneys kid doing that several years ago, dad made it go away.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

If they can prove he passed fakes at several businesses, then it's a different story. They'll probably squeeze him to find out who is making those bills.

frequentflier

happy to be living
What is interesting to me is how many people have questioned how I am sure that he *knew* he was passing counterfeit money. One person asked how I knew he was "awear" he had a phony $100 bill. Another fb person claims a bank once gave him a fake $50 and $100, another claims to have been given a fake $20 at a gas station.

I was asked if I "profile much". I suspect it is the same person that responded on Baynet. Somehow people are trying to make me out the be the bad guy!

And YES, if you want to accuse me of "profiling", I assess every person that walks through the door. I am a business owner that doesn't like to be ripped off. If I had been at the store last Weds, this would not have happened. My store is out $100 because the cashier did not properly assess the situation.

A male comes in the store, walks around and grabs a three pack of tennis balls. Low cost item, pulls out a $100 bill, is nervous, tapping his fingers (and he left prints on the counter :)) and does not want receipt. Upon exiting the store, he crosses over behind CVS and throws tennis balls in dumpster and crosses back over to KFC and then disappears. Sounds to me he knew exactly what he was doing.

Unfortunately, my employees were not in the habit of using the marking pens. They do now.

steppinthrax

I guess a question I had, what if he received the bill from someone and didn't know it was counterfeit, used the bill there. I suspect this is unlikely in this situation. But, I would go out on a limb to say that it's possible to get a bad bill from a bank etc....

glhs837

Power with Control
I guess a question I had, what if he received the bill from someone and didn't know it was counterfeit, used the bill there. I suspect this is unlikely in this situation. But, I would go out on a limb to say that it's possible to get a bad bill from a bank etc....

I would sumrise that the odds of getting a bad one from the bank are close to nil, especially $100s. Cannot imagine very many, if any, $100s passing through a bank and not hitting a scanner at some point. Much greater chance to get a bad bill in change, but again, that happening with a $100 are slim to none. Who gets $100s in change anywhere?

steppinthrax

I would sumrise that the odds of getting a bad one from the bank are close to nil, especially $100s. Cannot imagine very many, if any, $100s passing through a bank and not hitting a scanner at some point. Much greater chance to get a bad bill in change, but again, that happening with a $100 are slim to none. Who gets $100s in change anywhere?

I agree.....

However, it's been my unfortunate experiences that things you think should never happen actually do happen, especially from places that specialize in preventing these type of things from happening. :D :D :D

I sold a car to someone who gave me all cash. It was a mixture of 100's, 20's 10's and a lot of ones, maybe around 1500 - 2000. Well after signing the title over I took all the money and deposited it in the ATM machine (several times). I got a call from the bank indicating there was a problem with my deposit and they wanted me to come into the bank. I came in and when I asked to speak to the teller (on the phone), she came out of the office with a $10.00 bill that apparently didn't pass thru their system. The ATM machine took it, however their equipment didn't, she had it marked up and some red sticker on it (they put on it). I still had the bill of sale with me and explained her the situation and she asked if I wanted to replace it with another $10.00 or just make the deposit short by $10.00. I told her to just forget about it and shreeded it right in front of my face. That was the end of that.

This was in Baltimore about 10 or so years ago. Bank of America.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Read #13...it is my solid belief he knew exactly what he was doing...

steppinthrax

Read #13...it is my solid belief he knew exactly what he was doing...

Ahhh.

Sorry didn't read that. I understand your thinking....

So I guess once they catch this guy there would be an investigation to see where he got the bill from etc.... I guess this still dosen't answer my question, I posted a story (See #18).

Could I be just as guilty as that guy, let's say I was nervous, tapping my fingers and acting weird in the bank.