Home Safe

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Do you have any good recommendations for a good home safe?
Guns
Documents
Money
???

Thanks.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Don't waste your money on a safe. I will come and pick up all your valuables and take really, really good care of them.. You're welcome. Just let me know when to come by..

black dog

Free America
I own two Browning Medallions with manual combination locks for more expensive storage needs. I have owned these two vaults for 25+ years and not a wisp of any problems. I definitely would suggest that you buy a safe or a vault that has locking bars on all four sides of the swing door.
Almost everyone I know that has a electronic lock has had problems over the years with them.
Your budget will mandate the quality of safety you are looking for.
I would check Carolina Safe in Waldorf ( across from Beacon Surplus )
They stock a few different lines if I remember correctly.
You also might want to watch a few YouTube videos on how easy it is to sardine can the door open on lots of safes on the market.
Besides bolting it down if possible place the safe / vault in a corner of the room where the back and non hinge side of the door are against walls.
That makes it harder to pry the door open when you can't easily get to the opening side of the door with tools.

Did I say to bolt it to the floor? It's just a matter of minutes with lots of safes to roll the door metal open after the safe is flipped over on the floor..
Whatever you buy, bolt it to the floor.. And put a Goldenrod in it to keep moisture in check.

MR47930

I have a very large Browning and it's awesome. Whatever you do, I cant recommend "Carolina Safe Company" in Waldorf enough. Hats where we bought ours and its run by an older gentleman (Carl) and his wife. They couldn't have been better people to deal with, and the deliver fee was worth every penny.

Here's the one I bought. I saved some cash and went with the charcoal metallic color instead of the fancy paint job.

http://www.browning.com/products/gu...collection/medallion-safes/medallion-65T.html

Last edited:

MR47930

I own two Browning Medallions with manual combination locks for more expensive storage needs. I have owned these two vaults for 25+ years and not a wisp of any problems. I definitely would suggest that you buy a safe or a vault that has locking bars on all four sides of the swing door.
Almost everyone I know that has a electronic lock has had problems over the years with them.
Your budget will mandate the quality of safety you are looking for.
I would check Carolina Safe in Waldorf ( across from Beacon Surplus )
They stock a few different lines if I remember correctly.
You also might want to watch a few YouTube videos on how easy it is to sardine can the door open on lots of safes on the market.
Besides bolting it down if possible place the safe / vault in a corner of the room where the back and non hinge side of the door are against walls.
That makes it harder to pry the door open when you can't easily get to the opening side of the door with tools.

Did I say to bolt it to the floor? It's just a matter of minutes with lots of safes to roll the door metal open after the safe is flipped over on the floor..
Whatever you buy, bolt it to the floor.. And put a Goldenrod in it to keep moisture in check.

Basically everything Black dog just said is exactly what I did...I didn't read his response before posting, but I'm glad to know others are recommending Carolina Safes as well. Great people!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Does anyone know a local company that will move a 800 lb. gun safe, from the garage to the basement.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?

Attachments

• 994616_10151852393024717_666507165_n.jpg
    994616_10151852393024717_666507165_n.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 181
And put a Goldenrod in it to keep moisture in check.

Absolutely use some kind of moisture/odor absorber if it's in the basement, no matter how clean or dry you think it is. I had my safe in the basement, dry, clean, dehumidifier running. The papers inside still picked up a terrible musty odor that still persists after multiple thorough cleanings and 5 years. Ziplock-ing everything really helps.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
That appears to be identical to one of mine..just a different brand name. I was not particularly impressed with the interior design features (it does not have enough flexibility in adjusting dividers and shelves to suit my odd collection) but overall I'm happy with it.
I ordered it yesterday, for garage delivery.
Now I need to find somebody to move to the basement.
No steps involved. Just have to move it to the basement walkout door, via the slight slope.
Do you know anybody?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
No steps involved. Just have to move it to the basement walkout door, via the slight slope.
Do you know anybody?

I believe Carolina Safes will move your safe even if you did not buy from them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Do you know anybody?

No..can't say I do..we rig all our own stuff.

Midnightrider

Do you know anybody?
Try offering the delivery guy a tip if they do it for you. I have had reallly good luck getting stuff placed where I want it even when the company says they only offer lift gate service.