No more tanning salons for teens

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
www.charlescountymd.gov/public-notices/enactment-bill-2017-10-artificial-tanning-devices

The Charles County Commissioners enacted Bill 2017-10 titled Artificial Tanning Devices. The bill prohibits certain owners, employees, and operators of tanning facilities from allowing minors to use certain tanning devices without exception. The Bill adds Chapter 5, Sections 1 through 7 to the Code of Charles County.
Bill 2017-10 becomes effective on April 13, 2018.

What say you? Good idea?

ginwoman

Did anyone see "911" (tv show) the other night with the man who got burnt up in a tanning bed? It was nasty & he died. The end.

steppinthrax

Here we are back at what age is old enough to do things discussion.

I think the reasoning is that tanning salon rays can generally increase the risks of various skin cancers etc... Of course if done in moderating and at an older age, the risk is there, but less since you are older and have less time on earth. I guess also children are too young to make decisions for how long they should be in a bed v.s. an adult who can make that decision.

Goldenhawk

Interesting that in today's culture, a teen cannot be trusted to decide whether the risks of using a UV tanning bed are safe, yet they can be trusted to decide what gender they are, or whether to kill an unborn human.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Maybe instead of outright banning their use by under 18's, limit the exposure time to a maximum of 5 minutes per session to a 3 day per week session limit? Better than banning. Plus, what ever happed to parent permissions to override stupid government intrusions?

If I may ...

Maybe instead of outright banning their use by under 18's, limit the exposure time to a maximum of 5 minutes per session to a 3 day per week session limit? Better than banning. Plus, what ever happed to parent permissions to override stupid government intrusions?
People, teens and adults, get around that by being members of a number of tanning shops. I vote 'nanny state' legislation. A person that choses to use a tanning bed is doing harm to no one else but themselves. It is their choice, even though the results of this choice don't show up until years later. We all have to die of something, and in many cases we all directly or indirectly "chose" the way we will die based on decisions we make throughout life.

Sapidus

People, teens and adults, get around that by being members of a number of tanning shops. I vote 'nanny state' legislation. A person that choses to use a tanning bed is doing harm to no one else but themselves. It is their choice, even though the results of this choice don't show up until years later. We all have to die of something, and in many cases we all directly or indirectly "chose" the way we will die based on decisions we make throughout life.

What about when these people choose to opt out of insurance and end up costing the rest of us money because of their cancer treatments?

luvmygdaughters

Why wouldnt this be a decision for the parents/guardian to make????? Why does the state constantly "tell you" you are not capable of raising your own children!!!!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No mention of gay men and drug addicts who cost the rest of us money for their healthcare needs that are brought on by lifestyle choices?

Ya know, this comment got me to thinking. If, big if, if it is true that men are coming down, by going down, with higher incidences of oral cancers, why is it lesbians don't have higher incidences as well? And I'm not falling for the claims that women have a better defense for it. If that was the case then the HPV vaccine wouldn't be needed, now would it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

Ya know, this comment got me to thinking. If, big if, if it is true that men are coming down, by going down, with higher incidences of oral cancers, why is it lesbians don't have higher incidences as well? And I'm not falling for the claims that women have a better defense for it. If that was the case then the HPV vaccine wouldn't be needed, now would it?

Women, as a general rule, take better care of their health and hygiene. That's our defense. We eat our veggies and we floss our teeth.

Honestly, I don't think they know what the hell "gives" you cancer. It changes every few years. Supposedly smoking "causes" cancer, but we all know people who smoke like Turks and are perfectly healthy, while the one who's never smoked a day in their life gets the C. For awhile grilled foods were supposed to give you cancer, and I remember as a kid the big scare that licking postage stamps caused cancer.

The two healthiest people I've ever known - physically fit, active, strict good eaters, little to no alcohol, certainly no smoking - one is dealing with cancer now and the other died of heart failure a few years ago. Meanwhile my drunken overweight hotdog eating smoker ass in in the pink. Go figure.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I smoked 3 packs a day for over 20 years, quit in 1997, started when I was 18 in 1975. I drank a full bottle of whiskey or vodka every day for over 15 years, quit that when I started having the symptoms in March 2015 that led to the pancreatic cancer diagnosis. I love to eat, hate to exercise, so I got excess body mass going for me, too. Likely all kinds of environmental factors, too.

I also have genetic predisposition...maternal grandmother died from it 5 months after diagnosis, maternal uncle, 19 days and a maternal 1st cousin who made it 9 months. The three of them were diagnosed at Stage 4. I was diagnosed at Stage 1.

My grandmother never smoked, only drank wine with dinner and was a healthy weight for her frame and age. My uncle never smoked tobacco (did smoke pot some, popped pills), was a moderate drinker and was always pretty fit as he worked in the building trades. My cousin never smoked, maybe had a beer on the weekend and worked in the trades, plus was an athlete.

Since getting a pacemaker in April 2008, been more finely attuned to when something feels off in my body...that led to the early diagnosis and what has been thus far, effective treatment.