Where and what you must eat before you die

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Xiao Bao Biscuit, Charleston, SC - A renovated gas station that is now a hipster (in a good way) Asian bistro. Eat the Mapo Dou Fu, which is sichuan pork and tofu in a fiery chili oil sauce, served with rice. It was mouth-numbingly spicy, but not hurt you hot; even though you can't feel your tongue, you can still taste the sophisticated yet simple flavors.

Tony's, Cedar Key, FL
- A small diner in a renovated home, famous for their clam chowder and fried seafood. The chowder is clammy and flavorful, and the fried seafood is perfectly breaded and seasoned - light and crispy.

Maine Diner, Wells, ME - Just a diner but the seafood chowder is TO DIE FOR. It was filled with large chunks of shrimp, lobsters, scallops, and clams. It's more brothy than chowdery and that broth is so tasty I wanted to just drink a cup of that; and Lobster Pie, big chunks of lovely lobster heavily topped with crumbs and baked, then you get a little cup of melted butter to pour over the top. OMG! So rich and delicious. The lobster shines through and those crispy crumbs are the perfect accent.

Black's BBQ, Lockhart, TX - A traditional Texas BBQ joint with rustic interior and create your own platter. The star is the enormous beef ribs that are falling off the bone and so decadent. You wouldn't dare sully them with sauce.

The Newport Lobster Shack, Newport, RI - A trailer on the water where you eat fried lobster bites, with a breading that is light, crispy, and a terrific complement to the sweet succulent meat.

Belmont Tavern, Belleville, NJ - An old school cool neighborhood joint where you expect Frankie and Dino to come walking in any minute. Have the Chicken Savoy, which is chicken done in garlic and red wine vinegar, with a side of spaghetti.

Tacopocalypse, Des Moines, IA - A warehouse in the hipster district with Mexican Asian fusion. Stop making that face - they do it right. Have the Meat Boat with wasabi brisket.

Primo! Ristorante, Sarasota, FL - Quaint Italian family joint. Eat the Artichoke Casanova, which is sauteed baby artichokes with garlic, butter, and cheese. And yes, it was as delicious as it sounds.

The Albany, Cheyenne, WY - A western bar with a sophisticated menu. You must eat their homemade hummus, which is served with crisp veggies, french bread, and feta dip.

Cassie's Supper Club, Cody, WY - A former wild west bordello where you expect to see John Wayne bellying up to the bar for a drink or eight or ten. Have the Elk Medallions, which are tender and savory, an appetizer that could easily be your meal.

Fort Hays Old West Town and Dinner Show, Rapid City, SD - Chuckwagon chow - a HUGE plate of food - and a country music show. The little "town" is super cute - it's where they filmed part of "Dances With Wolves" - so get there early.

La Perla Taqueria, Belton, TX - The real deal Mexican where you can get things that you can't even pronounce and it may be best not to even ask what it is. Have the carne guisada platter with a cup of bean soup. Simple and authentic.

The Tamale Place, Vicksburg, MS - Another former gas station where they give you the tamales in a paper sack and you either take them home or eat them in the parking lot. Go right before they close and ask, "How much for the rest of them?"

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack, Nashville, TN - Don't let the rundown area scare you. This is another real deal, and they are not playing when they say hot. I like spicy food and the medium was perfect. I've had the hot, which is what S&M must be like - extreme in both pleasure and pain. There are two levels of heat above that, so beware. Get extra bread and pickles.

Anna's, Williamsburg, VA - The pizza here is the best you will ever have. Like, ever. Anna's is the standard that we hold all other pizzas to.

Acme Oyster House - or any other gulf coast restaurant that serves char grilled oysters. Bluegill's in Spanish Fort, AL has good ones as well. Fresh oysters on the half shell, hit with seasoned butter and parmesan cheese, then flame grilled. Served with french bread to mop up the amazing sauce.

To be continued...

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Rutt's Hut was in the running until the We Don't Serve Drunks Here fiasco of 2017.

Did you forget your other Jersey love? Star Tavern.

Isabella's gives Anna's a run for her money in the pizza department. Why are the best pizza joints named after women? And it's just a short drive from SOMD. Tell them Monello sent you.

When you are done at Isabella's, walk a block over to Vaccaro's for dessert. Veterans get a cannoli on the house.

If you are in the mood for seafood with character then you can't go wrong with either of these. Singleton's Seafood Shack(Mayport, FL), Whitey's Fish Camp(Orange Park, FL), Clark's Fish Camp(Jax, FL) or Cap's on the water(St Augustine).

If you find yourself in Tampa, FL, head over to Ybor City. Any restaurant or watering hole on 7th Ave will do the trick. You will thank me later.

To be continued..............

Cannon

Singletons

Rutt's Hut was in the running until the We Don't Serve Drunks Here fiasco of 2017.

Did you forget your other Jersey love? Star Tavern.

Isabella's gives Anna's a run for her money in the pizza department. Why are the best pizza joints named after women? And it's just a short drive from SOMD. Tell them Monello sent you.

When you are done at Isabella's, walk a block over to Vaccaro's for dessert. Veterans get a cannoli on the house.

If you are in the mood for seafood with character then you can't go wrong with either of these. Singleton's Seafood Shack(Mayport, FL), Whitey's Fish Camp(Orange Park, FL), Clark's Fish Camp(Jax, FL) or Cap's on the water(St Augustine).

If you find yourself in Tampa, FL, head over to Ybor City. Any restaurant or watering hole on 7th Ave will do the trick. You will thank me later.

To be continued..............

You are correct about Singletons; they do have character... The whole inside of the place is built out of OSB (think of the raw wood you see new houses built of nowadays). The walls, the picnic tables, everything. The pelican sitting on the piling 8 feet outside the back window, between the restaurant and the boats which delivered all of the wonderfully fresh seafood. If you've lived here long enough to remember when Evans Seafood on the island was the best restaurant in the area, then you know the type of food they have. The food there negates the need for any type of decorating beyond the neon beer signs. Cooler with the catch of the day as soon as you walk through the door. Pick anything you want out of that, or order from the menu... it's ALL good! Man, I miss being able to go there!!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You are correct about Singletons; they do have character... The whole inside of the place is built out of OSB (think of the raw wood you see new houses built of nowadays). The walls, the picnic tables, everything. The pelican sitting on the piling 8 feet outside the back window, between the restaurant and the boats which delivered all of the wonderfully fresh seafood. If you've lived here long enough to remember when Evans Seafood on the island was the best restaurant in the area, then you know the type of food they have. The food there negates the need for any type of decorating beyond the neon beer signs. Cooler with the catch of the day as soon as you walk through the door. Pick anything you want out of that, or order from the menu... it's ALL good! Man, I miss being able to go there!!!!

I forgot about Singleton's - love that place! The first time we went we took the ferry and here's this shack. Best fried scallops EVER.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I may be the only person that thought that Evan's sucked. In fact, I was talking about it just yesterday when we were at the Ruddy Duck Seafood and Ale House.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I may be the only person that thought that Evan's sucked. In fact, I was talking about it just yesterday when we were at the Ruddy Duck Seafood and Ale House.
I haven't been to Evan's; or is it Evans'; in years. It wasn't anything special IMHO, but it was kinda $$$.

I haven't been to Evan's; or is it Evans'; in years. It wasn't anything special IMHO, but it was kinda $$$.

Most of us that remember Evans fondly was from back in the 70s and 80s. Once they got rid of the AYCA seafood dinners and raised prices, the quality went downhill.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Most of us that remember Evans fondly was from back in the 70s and 80s. Once they got rid of the AYCA seafood dinners and raised prices, the quality went downhill.

I was there for an AYCE group dinner back in the early 90's. My date and I couldn't sit together because he ordered that and I ordered off the menu. I felt like I was treated like a criminal. The other time I was there, due to a gift certificate, I wanted to change my order, BEFORE the waitress had even taken our order into the kitchen, she refused. Never went back again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Muy Wayne Os, Panama City Beach, FL - a little cantina run by displaced Texans. Excellent Tex-Mex with home made tortillas and some of the best crispy tacos I've ever had. They make their own salsas, including a smoked jalapeno salsa that is out of this world. Get you a Shiner to go with it for an authentic experience.

Sharkys, Panama City Beach, FL - This is our go-to for margaritas because it's open and on the beach, with big TVs so Monello can watch sports while I get my drank on. We'd never really eaten there, except a smoked tuna dip snackie, until Bann's birthday. I had the Key West Garlic Shrimp, and MAN! was it good. But the "you have to do this" is to enjoy a cocktail at the outside bar on a nice day. The food is just a bonus.