Stephen Hawking - R.I.P.

Rommey

link
LONDON — Stephen Hawking, whose brilliant mind ranged across time and space though his body was paralyzed by disease, has died, a family spokesman said early Wednesday.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years," his children Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement.

The best-known theoretical physicist of his time, Hawking wrote so lucidly of the mysteries of space, time and black holes that his book, "A Brief History of Time," became an international best seller, making him one of science's biggest celebrities since Albert Einstein.

PsyOps

Pixelated
As much as this makes me sad, Hawking lived way beyond any prediction gave him. And rather than get defeated in his disease, he made purpose in his life and changed physics forever. I consider myself to be blessed to have lived in a time where so much discovery of our universe was made through Hawking.

I got to learn about Hawking back in the late '70s (I was in high school at the time) when an unusual neighbor moved next door to where I lived. He is now Nobel laureate John Mather. My dad frequently invited him to our house for dinner and sit downs for discussions on his projects at Goddard. I remember mentions of Hawking and his influence in the world of physics. I guess this gave me sort of a personal attachment to that world and the people involved.

I suppose this leaves a black hole (pun intended) in his research since it's not complete. I hope he trained a great protege to take over his work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
hawking.jpg

ReadingTheNews

I'd read about Stephen Hawking's voice, and looked it up again:

Hawking is very attached to his voice: in 1988, when Speech Plus gave him the new synthesizer, the voice was different so he asked them to replace it with the original. His voice had been created in the early '80s by MIT engineer Dennis Klatt, a pioneer of text-to-speech algorithms. He invented the DECtalk, one of the first devices to translate text into speech. He initially made three voices, from recordings of his wife, daughter and himself. The female's voice was called "Beautiful Betty", the child's "Kit the Kid", and the male voice, based on his own, "Perfect Paul." "Perfect Paul" is Hawking's voice.

From here Pretty interesting.

R.I.P. Stephen Hawking