Looking for a roofer

Freefaller

In the wind storm of a few weeks ago, my house suffered some damaged and lost shingles. Nothing major but apparently, the shingles are not manufactured any more. My insurance company sent out an adjuster to inspect the damage. I just heard back from the insurance company and they have approved an entire roof replacement along with the replacement of some gutters that pulled away from the house. I'm looking for recommendations and contact info for a good roofing company. Your suggestions are appreciated. I live in Charles County.

Goldenhawk

I've had several good experiences with Southernwood Roofing in La Plata. Quality company, good people to deal with.

steppinthrax

In the wind storm of a few weeks ago, my house suffered some damaged and lost shingles. Nothing major but apparently, the shingles are not manufactured any more. My insurance company sent out an adjuster to inspect the damage. I just heard back from the insurance company and they have approved an entire roof replacement along with the replacement of some gutters that pulled away from the house. I'm looking for recommendations and contact info for a good roofing company. Your suggestions are appreciated. I live in Charles County.

I'm kinda curious about this, is your roof worn out and is in need of replacement. My roof will need to be replaced soon and I was told that most insurance companies will do whatever they can to say that this was pre-existing and worn v.s. damage. So I guess how are you getting your insurance company to replace your roof.

baxter

STAY AWAY FROM ROOFING BY GEORGE!!!!! they replaced my roof, one year later it leaked, it was tarped, then they say I voided the warranty by nailing up the tarp, how else would I cover the roof. Perhaps if it didn't leak there would be no need for a tarp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOOSERS

softtouch

STAY AWAY FROM ROOFING BY GEORGE!!!!! they replaced my roof, one year later it leaked, it was tarped, then they say I voided the warranty by nailing up the tarp, how else would I cover the roof. Perhaps if it didn't leak there would be no need for a tarp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOOSERS
They replaced my roof 25 years ago. No problems so far. I opted for the 20 year shingles because Consumer's Reports said they were the better choice.

Stew

That wind storm damaged my roof too! Roofer came out and said they don't make that type of shingle anymore and that I need a new roof. Insurance adjuster is coming out this week, hope they approve it.

I had Greens Siding do 2 of my roofs. Happy with the job, but maybe just a tad pricey.

Usually when the roofer is done, there are shingles left over that you paid for. You should keep them just in case you need to replace a few. Saved my butt a few times.

And whomever you choose, watch and stay after them for cleaning up. I had one terrible roofer once, didn't do a good job capturing the debris from the roof. I wound up getting flats in my tractor tires from the old nails.

black dog

Free America
I had Greens Siding do 2 of my roofs. Happy with the job, but maybe just a tad pricey.

Usually when the roofer is done, there are shingles left over that you paid for. You should keep them just in case you need to replace a few. Saved my butt a few times.

And whomever you choose, watch and stay after them for cleaning up. I had one terrible roofer once, didn't do a good job capturing the debris from the roof. I wound up getting flats in my tractor tires from the old nails.

Good guys, my ex hired them unbeknownst to me to repair a bunch of missing siding and gutters after the Hurricane.. excellent service and craftsmanship.

Freefaller

I'm kinda curious about this, is your roof worn out and is in need of replacement. My roof will need to be replaced soon and I was told that most insurance companies will do whatever they can to say that this was pre-existing and worn v.s. damage. So I guess how are you getting your insurance company to replace your roof.

The reason the entire roof will be replaced is that the shingles on my roof are no longer manufactured. I have a replacement cost clause in my policy. Otherwise, they would only pay the depreciated value (about 35% less in my case) but since I have that clause in my policy, they'll pay the full cost for a new roof.

Freefaller

Thanks for the warning. I'll stay away from them!

DEEKAYPEE8569

A buddy I went to high school with came by two days ago telling me that we could get our roof replaced. Not sure if he's looking for work for RBG or not.

Just found out.....it wasn't ROOFING BY GEORGE.

:fixed:

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why not be your own contractor and do it yourself for the alloted amount from the insurance company? And pocket thousands? Shingling is not that difficult of a thing to do. Unless of course you have a three story house with 9/12 pitch hip and valley roof with dormers. Then you might need a friend's help.

Starman

If I may ...

Why not be your own contractor and do it yourself for the alloted amount from the insurance company? And pocket thousands? Shingling is not that difficult of a thing to do. Unless of course you have a three story house with 9/12 pitch hip and valley roof with dormers. Then you might need a friend's help.

Opportunity cost. Some people's time is worth more than the savings you'd get from DIY.

I don't even cut my own grass. F that.