Exhaust Manifold

Looking to do something with the exhaust mainfold on my Slingshot. The engine compartment is clean, painted, and many parts reflect the red color of the body. Even have rows of LEDs under the coil cover for effect. But the exhaust manifold is just butt ugly next to all that, original cast metal which is now rusting.

I want to take it out and clean it up, but would it be better to pant it with high temp paint, powder coat, or ceramic coat? And is there anyone around here that can do ceramic coat? I have places to go for paint and powder coats.

20180318_145519.jpg 20180319_173040-001.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Looking to do something with the exhaust mainfold on my Slingshot. The engine compartment is clean, painted, and many parts reflect the red color of the body. Even have rows of LEDs under the coil cover for effect. But the exhaust manifold is just butt ugly next to all that, original cast metal which is now rusting.

I want to take it out and clean it up, but would it be better to pant it with high temp paint, powder coat, or ceramic coat? And is there anyone around here that can do ceramic coat? I have places to go for paint and powder coats.

View attachment 121920 View attachment 121921

Find a shop that does electroless nickel plating. That's the best process for that manifold. True ceramic coating would be the next best..google "Jet Hot"..

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Think the nearest place to you is up in Beltsville - customperformancecoating.com

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Think the nearest place to you is up in Beltsville - customperformancecoating.com

There is quite the little "performance and custom" industrial community in that area. With the demise of nearly all such companies in St. Mary's...like AM-PM for example - I've been running all my stuff up to the shops in the Beltsville/Bladensburg area for some years now.

Ok, never heard of electroless nickel plating. I was hoping to colorize the manifold to match the other components, but from what I remember, plain nickel plating is silver colored.

Have to look into it and make a few calls. Thanx for the info, guys.

black dog

Free America
Find a shop that does electroless nickel plating. That's the best process for that manifold. True ceramic coating would be the next best..google "Jet Hot"..

Yep.. I agree,,,, or you could just trade it in for 120 ci Milwaukee Iron.. Preferably a Shovel Head...

black dog

Free America
Ok, never heard of electroless nickel plating. I was hoping to colorize the manifold to match the other components, but from what I remember, plain nickel plating is silver colored.

Have to look into it and make a few calls. Thanx for the info, guys.

Think, satin finish Colt 1911..

Checked out Jet-Hot. Looks decent, price is not bad either, $225 for my header, 10 day turnaround. That search flagged Cerakote, shop in White Plains, but they have very limited colors and seemed to do nothing but profess that they are better than Jet-Hot.

More research.

black dog

Free America
Checked out Jet-Hot. Looks decent, price is not bad either, $225 for my header, 10 day turnaround. That search flagged Cerakote, shop in White Plains, but they have very limited colors and seemed to do nothing but profess that they are better than Jet-Hot.

More research.

Is that the shop in the industrial park? Custom Functionz on Printers Ct... If so I have seen many different jobs of powder coating that he has done, All were top shelf...
And I now he has done a few firearms for Deputy's at Charles Co and they were very happy. I'd still do ceramic myself.

Is that the shop in the industrial park? Custom Functionz on Printers Ct... If so I have seen many different jobs of powder coating that he has done, All were top shelf...
And I now he has done a few firearms for Deputy's at Charles Co and they were very happy. I'd still do ceramic myself.

Didn't look at the specific address, probably the same outfit.
I'm thinking ceramic too, considering the high heat.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I do Cerakote at my shop. It's a fantastic coating system but not for your application,or at least that's my experience with it. If that shop is claiming great results, maybe ask them for pictures or an example that shows the result they are getting. I'd be interested in seeing that myself.

Last edited:

nutz

I do Cerakote at my shop. It's a fantastic coating system but not for your application,or at least that's my experience with it. If that shop is claiming great results, maybe ask them for pictures or an example that shows the result they are getting. I'd be interested in seeing that myself.

Cerakote offers a ceramic coating. https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/resource/downloads/ Or he could just order some header paint from Eastwood https://www.eastwood.com/paints/hi-temp-engine-paints/exhaust-paints.html Durakote should be suitable for the application too. "DuraHeat is capable of withstanding temperatures of up 1800 degrees F, and cures at room temperature." http://www.houtsenterprises.net/index.html http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_heat.html

If you can't fit it in your sand blaster, Millwood Machinery 36845 Millwood Ln in
Mechanicsville can.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
You could always do an exhaust wrap. You can find it in a number of colors. It's supposed to improve performance too.

https://www.sturgis.com/content/recent-blog-entries/entry/hot-colors-for-hot-pipes.html

It's interesting how somethings always come back around, 40 years ago on my first XLC Sportster it was popular to cut off the drag pipes and wrap what was left with 1 1/2" fiberglass cloth. Sonny Routts shop sold it.

Edit... I can't believe I admitted that I owned a Sportster as a kid.. actually it was two. Next was a XLCH..

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's interesting how somethings always come back around, 40 years ago on my first XLC Sportster it was popular to cut off the drag pipes and wrap what was left with 1 1/2" fiberglass cloth. Sonny Routts shop sold it.

Edit... I can't believe I admitted that I owned a Sportster as a kid.. actually it was two. Next was a XLCH..

Never figured you for a Skirtster rider..... ;-p

Chris0nllyn

Never figured you for a Skirtster rider..... ;-p

My boss went up to take his road test on a Sportster. As the licensed motorcycle rider, I had to bring the bike to the starting line. It was SO tiny.... felt like I was riding a tricycle. You know the Artie Johnson skit on Laugh In where he rides a trike in a yellow raincoat? That.