Work email ban after hours in New York City may become law

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Legislation in New York City would make it illegal for employees to access work-related email outside their regular work schedules.

Rafael Espinal, representing the 37th District in New York City, is set to introduce a bill at the City Council meeting on Thursday to give New Yorkers the right to disconnect.

“This is a serious law, and I think that in the form that it is right now, I can’t imagine that it’s going to pass, but stranger things have happened,” Kyle Reyes, The Silent Partner Marketing CEO, said during an interview on FOX Business’ “Risk & Reward” on Monday.

Work email ban after hours in New York City may become law

Starman

I don't think there needs to be a law for this, but it's a good idea to disconnect when the workday is done. I want people to be productive at work, not 24 hours a day. The ability to leave work at work and have a life is a skill not many have, but one I value greatly. There are very, very few people who must have contact to work e-mail 24 hours a day.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ideas found at the bottom of the empty scotch bottle rarely turn into successful legislation.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think there has been a shift back in favor or the worker, since the rise of the BB where suddenly everyone could be connected 24/7
'bosses' realized they didn't have to wait until the next day get an answer to an email.

I agree we really shouldn't require a law ...

that said I am sure there are those micro-managers that just can't wait ...... this is for them

nutz

It's not just bosses trying to demand 24/7 from their employees, some clients have no respect for boundaries either.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It's not just bosses trying to demand 24/7 from their employees, some clients have no respect for boundaries either.

I try never to give my customers my cell number, but some have it and have used it on evenings or weekends.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think there needs to be a law for this, but it's a good idea to disconnect when the workday is done. I want people to be productive at work, not 24 hours a day. The ability to leave work at work and have a life is a skill not many have, but one I value greatly. There are very, very few people who must have contact to work e-mail 24 hours a day.

I think that should be between the company and the employee, not the State.

Hijinx

I try never to give my customers my cell number, but some have it and have used it on evenings or weekends.

When it comes to the cell phone, I really do not kinde getting calls from people I know , but getting calls from solicitors pisses me off.
Especially texts at 2 am. And yes I have gotten them.
It was bad enough these a-holes calling my house phone, but now they get to use the cell phone.

officeguy

Ok for hourly employees. If I don't pay you I can't expect you to answer emails outside of work hours.
Insanity for exempt/salaried employees.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Insanity for exempt/salaried employees.

Meh ... :shrug:
... not this cat ...

... when I ran the IT dept at a major theme park, I left my BB by the door with my keys and back pack
... not on my night stand

1) I was the 1st one on site @ 6am ... if anything was broken from over night I had 5 - 6 hrs before opening to get stuff fixed
2) I had a staff, if something broke after I left, they knew how to fix it, or who to call and I would see the alerts the next morning
3) all of our servers were handled by the Data Center Team any way, all we could do was press a power button or swap hardware.

I refused to be tied to a device and told my higher ups as much ... I feel for those that can not