2020 Census to ask citizenship status....

limblips

PREMO Member
Because illegals are so law abiding I am sure they will answer the question truthfully. The proposal is dumb and the opposition is just as dumb.

h3mech

but if they don't answer the question then libatards will lose seats in congress, so they have to sue the government to stop from asking the question. they want those warm bodies so they can keep control of their districts, since the middle class is leaving California they need to maintain the status quo. it hard to have a full voting district if its the rich and illegal aliens.

Chris0nllyn

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross issued a memo to get more data so the Justice Dept. can better enforce the Voting Rights Act.

In doing so, Ross is admitting he's making a small side function of the Census more of a priority than its constitutional reason to exist.

"The Department of Commerce is not able to determine definitively how inclusion of a citizenship question on the decennial census will impact responsiveness," Ross wrote. "However, even if there is some impact on responses, the value of more complete and accurate data derived from surveying the entire population outweighs such concerns."

The same party that worried about mission creep of the Census Bureau is now openly admitting that they don't care if it's inaccurate (it likely will be) because the end goal is to (inaccurately) redraw the House map in order to give more power to Republicans. The same party that hates gerrymandering is okay with inaccurate district lines in order for the GOP to get better electoral results.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross issued a memo to get more data so the Justice Dept. can better enforce the Voting Rights Act.

In doing so, Ross is admitting he's making a small side function of the Census more of a priority than its constitutional reason to exist.

The same party that worried about mission creep of the Census Bureau is now openly admitting that they don't care if it's inaccurate (it likely will be) because the end goal is to (inaccurately) redraw the House map in order to give more power to Republicans. The same party that hates gerrymandering is okay with inaccurate district lines in order for the GOP to get better electoral results.

We count racial, income, sex, sexual preferences, education, marital status, religion, etc.

Why not legal status?
....because it will hurt the Dems....that’s why

Chris0nllyn

We count racial, income, sex, sexual preferences, education, marital status, religion, etc.

Why not legal status?
....because it will hurt the Dems....that’s why

The 2010 Census asked the following questions:

1.How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2010?
2.Were there any additional people staying here April 1, 2010 that you did not include in Question 1?
3.Is this house, apartment, or mobile home: owned with mortgage, owned without mortgage, rented, occupied without rent?
4.What is your telephone number?
5.Please provide information for each person living here. Start with a person here who owns or rents this house, apartment, or mobile home. If the owner or renter lives somewhere else, start with any adult living here. This will be Person 1. What is Person 1's name?
6.What is Person 1's sex?
7.What is Person 1's age and Date of Birth?
8.Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?
9.What is Person 1's race?
10.Does Person 1 sometimes live or stay somewhere else?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
It is absurd that the census hasn't asked that question up to now.

“The citizenship question will be the same as the one that is asked on the yearly American Community Survey (ACS). Citizenship questions have also been included on prior decennial censuses. Between 1820 and 1950, almost every decennial census asked a question on citizenship in some form. Today, surveys of sample populations, such as the Current Population Survey and the ACS, continue to ask a question on citizenship,” reads a statement on the decision.”

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
At Least Twelve States to Sue Trump Administration Over Census Citizenship Question - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/us/census-citizenship-question.html

It’s going to get crazy.....Dems are going to lose a lot of constituents....

“Opponents of the added citizenship question said it was certain to depress response to the census from noncitizens and even legal immigrants. Critics accused the administration of adding the question to reduce the population count in the predominantly Democratic areas where more immigrants reside, in advance of state and national redistricting in 2021.“

Why would a legal immigrant not respond?

Last edited:

Starman

It is absurd that the census hasn't asked that question up to now.

While I've not actually been able to dig up any filing yet, it seems these suits will question the constitutionality of these questions based on the constitutional requirement to count all people in each state, regardless of citizenship. They will allege, I presume, that this question will cause people not to answer and therefore muck with apportioning seats in the House of Reps.

That said, I'm not sure how viable that angle will be because surely there are other questions which might discourage folks from answering too.

I know that I've never answered a single census in my life.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
While I've not actually been able to dig up any filing yet, it seems these suits will question the constitutionality of these questions based on the constitutional requirement to count all people in each state, regardless of citizenship. They will allege, I presume, that this question will cause people not to answer and therefore muck with apportioning seats in the House of Reps.

That said, I'm not sure how viable that angle will be because surely there are other questions which might discourage folks from answering too.

It’s all about the illegal immigrants skewing the count giving Dem Districts more Fed dollars and more Congressional seats. Its about as corrupt as it gets.
Why do you thinks the Dems want them counted as “Citizens”? It’s not for the love of illegals....it’s power.

Starman

It’s all about the illegal immigrants skewing the count giving Dem Districts more Fed dollars and more Congressional seats. Its about as corrupt as it gets.
Why do you thinks the Dems want them counted as “Citizens”? It’s not for the love of illegals....it’s power.

The census is for counting "people" not "citizens".

officeguy

Very little of what the census asks is covered in the constitution. The constitutional requirement is simply to count the number of voting age adults to determine the apportionment of house seats (and indirectly electoral college seats). No question that goes beyond that is based on the constitution, they are all based on laws passed by congress to add additional questions to the thing.

How can we make any kind of policy decisions based on census data if we dont know who is a citizen/permanent resident/non-immigrant or illegal ?

Starman

Very little of what the census asks is covered in the constitution. The constitutional requirement is simply to count the number of voting age adults to determine the apportionment of house seats (and indirectly electoral college seats). No question that goes beyond that is based on the constitution, they are all based on laws passed by congress to add additional questions to the thing.

How can we make any kind of policy decisions based on census data if we dont know who is a citizen/permanent resident/non-immigrant or illegal ?

I'm tracking with you. That is sort of the point I was getting at ... if this question is unconstitutional, then by extension most if not all additional questions beyond the constitutional requirement should be equally as so. That leaves us with the constitutional requirement of counting voting age adults.

I'll wait until I can read a filing.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It doesn’t matter. Illegals will be here, anyway, vote, and come and go as they please; not to mention commit crimes. This issue is even too yuge for Trump to fix, or any prez, for that matter. Stay vigilant, y’all.

Hijinx

It doesn’t matter. Illegals will be here, anyway, vote, and come and go as they please; not to mention commit crimes. This issue is even too yuge for Trump to fix, or any prez, for that matter. Stay vigilant, y’all.

If there is a census and they ask the other questions in it, why is it not valid to ask if the person they are counting is legally here.
The only possible answer to the objection is that certain political parties are afraid of the answers.