Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Owners Associations, yea or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by awpitt View Post
    Damm, Ken. You got me again.
    Just trying to help a guy out.

Looking at all the "stuff" scattered about my property.....no way I could ever live under an HOA.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Looking at all the "stuff" scattered about my property.....no way I could ever live under an HOA.
    I'm a tidy person, but my old neighbor had the carport from hell. Jimmy Hoffa was probably under all that crap.

I didn't care and didn't feel the need to get all pissy about it.

His little yappy dog also barked a lot, and I didn't care about that either.

On Saturdays my cattycorner neighbor would blast classic rock that you could hear all over the 'hood while he was doing his yard work. Nobody cared.

I can't live around fussy people who always want to be bitching about something because it sucks to be them and they want to take it out on others. That's why I would never live in a neighborhood that had an HOA.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I'm a tidy person, but my old neighbor had the carport from hell. Jimmy Hoffa was probably under all that crap.

I didn't care and didn't feel the need to get all pissy about it.

His little yappy dog also barked a lot, and I didn't care about that either.

On Saturdays my cattycorner neighbor would blast classic rock that you could hear all over the 'hood while he was doing his yard work. Nobody cared.

I can't live around fussy people who always want to be bitching about something because it sucks to be them and they want to take it out on others. That's why I would never live in a neighborhood that had an HOA.
    No kidding, when I refiananced after three years, I finally got a copy of the "HOA" agreement for the five house private road. No legal teeth, since it was intended that all five homeowners would be siblings as Dad had bought the property and given each sibling a lot. Stipulations were that the first 150 feet of each lot be kept forested except for direway access and no modular/mobile homes be placed on the property. Oh, and that we share the cost of road maint.

Buddy of mine lives in WhiteHall Farms. Got to have the correct mailbox, doncha know........except that mailbox went extinct years before he bought in. Gotta get a variance for a different mailbox. Screw that.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Never had a single family house in an HOA-controlled neighborhood (nor would I), but our condo we keep in Crystal City has an association, as most if not all do. It's fairly well-run, unobtrusive, and since the Telecommunications Act of 1996, I can keep my ham radio antenna on the balcony without any hassle from anyone. They of course forbid renting our unit out on AirBNB, but that's probably a good thing. The extra cash would be nice.

My dad lived in a gated community with an HOA for years. When they don't bother you, it's like they aren't there. But when they get a bug up their butt, it can be a royal PITA to satisfy or justify something they don't like. Something as simple as the color of your door, or you can't remove a tree that's ready to fall on your house without expense of expert opinions and paperwork up the gazoo, or some leaves that you haven't gotten to clean up yet because the weather has been bad.

I could never live in an HOA, being told what I can't do. My house, my property.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    My dad lived in a gated community with an HOA for years. When they don't bother you, it's like they aren't there. But when they get a bug up their butt, it can be a royal PITA to satisfy or justify something they don't like. Something as simple as the color of your door, or you can't remove a tree that's ready to fall on your house without expense of expert opinions and paperwork up the gazoo, or some leaves that you haven't gotten to clean up yet because the weather has been bad.

I could never live in an HOA, being told what I can't do. My house, my property.
    Anyone who's been here through the old ranch club HOA wars would never willingly live HOA community, but it was great entertainment.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Mother is in Ft. Pierce in a seemingly militaristic setting. 24 hour guarded gates, some armed (hey it's Ft. Pierce), the works. They are condos, the association is militaristic. On the other hand, they take care of more stuff than is typical so there's less stuff about which to get in arguments with them.

I think they make sense in a condo or townhome situation where there is significant shared ownership of property. Everywhere is a ####ing scam. Too bad if you wan't to live somewhere nice in this area with access to amenities you basically have to have an HOA. One of my buddies has 16 acres and an HOA. Who the hell cares if his shed is painted the same color as his house (with similar siding and roofing) if you literally cannot see it or the house anywhere except on his private property?

Before moving to the east coast the only places I ever knew of that had HOA fees also provided amenities (like a golf course, manmade lake, pool/gym, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    . One of my buddies has 16 acres and an HOA. .
    Holy cow! That's a new one on me; I just assumed HOAs were a "thing" for the tract housing developments only.....1/3 to maybe 1 acre size. How does someone end up with an HOA on a 16 acre piece? Is it surrounded by a bunch of smaller lots that were created at the same time?
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Members who have read this thread: 1