EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Trump administration is poised to abandon America's pioneering fuel economy targets for cars and SUVs, a move that would undermine one of the world's most aggressive programs to confront climate change and invite another major confrontation with California.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to announce in the coming days that it will scrap mileage targets the Obama administration drafted in tandem with California that aim to boost average fuel economy for passenger cars and SUVs to 55 miles per gallon by 2025, according to people familiar with the plans.

The agency plans to replace those targets with a weaker standard that will be unveiled soon, according to the people, who did not want to be identified discussing the plan before it was announced.

EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets that are key to curbing global warming — setting up clash with California

good, time has long past to put this dinosaur down ...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Can't wait to get my new truck.

ford-f-01-640x342.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can't wait to get my new truck.

:yay:

Those MPG targets were nonsense to begin with. Sure, tiny low-power hybrid commuter bugs could meet those...but that's not what most people want to buy.

I am pretty impressed that our new Rav 4 gets 32-33 mpg though...the 2004 Murano it replaced never got more than 23. Huge difference..

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:yay:

I am pretty impressed that our new Rav 4 gets 32-33 mpg though ......

My 1995 Saturn got 35 Highway .... or higher, until that crap fest 10% Ethanol mandate ... where by I lost 5 Mpg per tank

how is that 'saving' the environment if I burn more fuel per tank

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My 1995 Saturn got 35 Highway .... or higher, until that crap fest 10% Ethanol mandate ... where by I lost 5 Mpg per tank

You and I both know that the only thing being "saved" by ethanol-from-corn is the bottom line of massive corporations like Monsanto, and the huge corn farming operations they supply to. Nothing whatsoever to do with the environment.

glhs837

Power with Control

Right, but your saturn was a featherweight small deathtrap, while the RAV is a full featured far safer vehicle with decent comfort and capability. Apples to apples. :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Right, but your Saturn was a featherweight small deathtrap, while the RAV is a full featured far safer vehicle with decent comfort and capability. Apples to apples. :)

it was an improvement over my various 69, 70, 71, 72 VW Beetles ... they only got 20 - 27

I much prefer my 20 MPG 302 HP Aviator now :razz:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
it was an improvement over my various 69, 70, 71, 72 VW Beetles ... they only got 20 - 27

I much prefer my 20 MPG 302 HP Aviator now :razz:

My '78 SUV only gets 8 mpg on a good day..but I can almost guarantee ya that vehicle crash safety tests are something it laughs at.... IMG_0702.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
yeah I have a stock 96 that gets between 10 - 12
my 84 w/460 got about 10 ... of course in 1996 gas was cheaper, but it still cost 40 bucks to fill the tank

Just the other day I bought a clean little '91 Toyota 4x4 pickup with the 22R 4-banger and 5-speed. Have not driven it enough to check mileage but it's gotta be a lot better than what the '78 Bronco gets..LOL

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just the other day I bought a clean little '91 Toyota 4x4 pickup with the 22R 4-banger and 5-speed. Have not driven it enough to check mileage but it's gotta be a lot better than what the '78 Bronco gets..LOL

I have a 20r and a 4sp from a 76 Celica buried in the back of my Garage