Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets

EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets

The Trump administration is poised to abandon America's pioneering fuel economy targets for cars and SUVs, a move that would undermine one of the world's most aggressive programs to confront climate change and invite another major confrontation with California.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to announce in the coming days that it will scrap mileage targets the Obama administration drafted in tandem with California that aim to boost average fuel economy for passenger cars and SUVs to 55 miles per gallon by 2025, according to people familiar with the plans.

The agency plans to replace those targets with a weaker standard that will be unveiled soon, according to the people, who did not want to be identified discussing the plan before it was announced.

EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets that are key to curbing global warming — setting up clash with California

good, time has long past to put this dinosaur down ...
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Can't wait to get my new truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford-f-01-640x342.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	122109

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Can't wait to get my new truck.

Those MPG targets were nonsense to begin with. Sure, tiny low-power hybrid commuter bugs could meet those...but that's not what most people want to buy.

I am pretty impressed that our new Rav 4 gets 32-33 mpg though...the 2004 Murano it replaced never got more than 23. Huge difference..
    Last edited by Gilligan; 03-30-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Every time I see one of those little Smart cars toodling along, I have a mind's eye vision like that pic you just posted...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post

I am pretty impressed that our new Rav 4 gets 32-33 mpg though ......

My 1995 Saturn got 35 Highway .... or higher, until that crap fest 10% Ethanol mandate ... where by I lost 5 Mpg per tank

how is that 'saving' the environment if I burn more fuel per tank
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    My 1995 Saturn got 35 Highway .... or higher, until that crap fest 10% Ethanol mandate ... where by I lost 5 Mpg per tank

You and I both know that the only thing being "saved" by ethanol-from-corn is the bottom line of massive corporations like Monsanto, and the huge corn farming operations they supply to. Nothing whatsoever to do with the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Nothing whatsoever to do with the environment.

I was being rhetorical ...... but yes Corn Lobby

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post

Right, but your saturn was a featherweight small deathtrap, while the RAV is a full featured far safer vehicle with decent comfort and capability. Apples to apples. :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Right, but your Saturn was a featherweight small deathtrap, while the RAV is a full featured far safer vehicle with decent comfort and capability. Apples to apples. :)
    it was an improvement over my various 69, 70, 71, 72 VW Beetles ... they only got 20 - 27

I much prefer my 20 MPG 302 HP Aviator now

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.