Sorry GLHS837

glhs837

Power with Control
Indeed, keep in mind the times. Look at other cars from that timeframe, it fit right in. Look at the Vette, the Mustang, the Camaro. For 12K, you were playing with the big kids. Gatorbacks, 50 series, overboost.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Indeed, keep in mind the times. Look at other cars from that timeframe, it fit right in. Look at the Vette, the Mustang, the Camaro. For 12K, you were playing with the big kids. Gatorbacks, 50 series, overboost.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1987-DODGE-SHELBY-GLHS-HATCHBACK-151878

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/car-and-driver-tested-the-13-quickest-cars-of-the-1980s#10

No this is a pretty 80's car, theres one for sale at the tower on base, might just have a look and see whats the price is....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I see his Pantera in the pic. I always lusted after a true Cobra 427..or even 289. Had to settle for a Pantera...was the closest I could get on my budget.

My best buddy in HS bought a 1968 GT500KR (428CJ) Shelby Mustang for $1500 off a dealer lot near Baltimore. 1975. Would have been worth crazy money now...but he sold it decades ago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
oh to have a time machine and go back to a day before him buying it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed.

I sold my 1969 440 4-speed Road Runner for $800
I sold my 1963 Cadillac El Dorado convertible for $1500
I sold my 1957 Chevy Bela Air for $1500
I sold one of my '66 Mustang GTs for $2500
I sold my immaculate 1964 Buick Riviera for $1400
..and on and on... I've owned a lot of classics, but most went bye bye decades and decades ago..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
while not a GLHS ... an 1992 an ex gf had a Dodge Charger 2.2 1985 [IIRC]

A fun car, not necessarily fast, but fun ...
I honestly thing her previous car, a 1976 Toyota Celica was more FUN to zip around in

2.2 L NON Turbo
5 spd
Sun Roof
Black stripe down the middle louvers over the back window

112716-Barn-Finds-1981-Dodge-Charger-3.jpg

112716-Barn-Finds-1981-Dodge-Charger-2.jpg

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
while not a GLHS ... an 1992 an ex gf had a Dodge Charger 2.2 1985 [IIRC]

A fun car, not necessarily fast, but fun ...
I honestly thing her previous car, a 1976 Toyota Celica was more FUN to zip around in

2.2 L NON Turbo
5 spd
Sun Roof
Black stripe down the middle louvers over the back window

View attachment 122157

View attachment 122158

Attachments failed :) 1985 was the first year of the turbo, but there were Shelby versions in 83 and 84 with virtually the same appearance, but lacking the turbo bulge to clear the airbox and the hood louvers that dumped cool air down the back side of the motor. The turbo added over 40 something each to torque and HP. Which doesnt sound like much today, but going from 107 hp to 146 hp is a pretty big jump.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...ws/a7872/1983-shelby-charger-drive-flashback/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/01/27/lost-cars-of-the-1980s-dodge-shelby-charger/

A real GNX? Not a rebadged Grand National? One of the issues I faced with the GLHs I owned, beside the fact that the Michigan winters had left the unibody like swiss cheese, was sourcing replacement parts. Koni struts custom built to Shelbys specs, same for the leather shift knobs, just couldn't get them anywhere.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Attachments failed :)

Fixed

Which doesn't sound like much today, but going from 107 hp to 146 hp is a pretty big jump.

Coming out of the 70's the early 80's were dismal .... 107 to 146 is a huge jump

when the Dodge Pickup 'Lil Red Express' was the fastest thing in 78 / 79

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/LilRedInfo.html

In 1978 The Dodge Lil' Red Express was the fastest American made vehicle from 0 to 100 MPH as tested by Car and Driver magazine.

Because of a loophole in the emissions regulations the 1978 Dodge Lil' Red Express Truck's did not have catalytic converters, what the Lil' Red Express did have was a special High Performance 360 C.I. 4-barrel small block engine code (EH1) which was a modified version of the 360 police engine (E58) producing 225 net horsepower @ 3800 RPM. The package also included Hemi style mufflers with a crossover pipe breathing through 2 chrome stacks located behind the cab, a special 727 transmission and 3.55:1 rear gearing.

or the 85 Ford LTD LX being called a 4door Mustang ... there was lots of room for improvement

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control

Went looking, old tower and new one (nice E39 M5 down at the old tower, BTW) but didnt see any GNXs or GNs. Was a Smart Car in the Lemon Lot though :) and got a decent cheessesteak from the Nicollettis truck.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
went by there today finally, yup shes gone. She was at corner front part of new tower lot at the street intersection, it had a 11x8 piece of paper in window figured a for sale sign, as i was driving by. it was a weekend going to golf, no other cars in the lot...