Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from my happy place!

Blog Entries
    Bike week has ended and it's so quiet here now. Spooky.

Today we went to St. Andrews park and kayaked in the lagoon. Got an up close and personal dolphin encounter. Foxhound picked up a stowaway - a little lizard that was sunning himself on FH's kayak and didn't get noticed until we launched. The lizard crawled all over FH before finally perching on his hat for the last part of the trip, then he jumped down and ran off once we landed.

The park is terrific and it was a glorious day - sunny, low 80s, breezy. The perfect day for a paddle.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I think the real story of Tally-Ho was our waitress or I believe they refer to them as carhops. First off she mentions that her wrist is hurting her and how she almost dropped her grandson. Jamie runs off to get our drinks. Vrai mentions to me that she appears too young to be a grandmother. So doing the math, you figure it's possible for someone to become a granny at the ripe young age of 36-38.

Jamie is back with our liquids and Vrai casually asks her how old she is. She replies 38. She gets our food order and off she goes. After we got our food we are chit chatting and Jamie mentions something that I wasn't really paying attention to until she said the magic words you don't hear everyday. "Since I got out of prison".

And then the floodgates were opened wide. For the next several minutes we got a down and dirty of Jamie's life of crime. Her latest stint was 22 months for drug dealing. Until that time, her longest incarceration was for 6 months. She has 25 arrests and there is a warrant out for her from Texas. Normally random people don't share this sort of intimate details with me, but it isn't such a rare event for Vrai. So is it a male/female thing? Maybe I have an unsympathetic face. Who knows. Just another afternoon in Panama City, FL, I guess.
    'yu sure dat yo wuzant @ da IHOP in Lex Park
    happier than a puppy with two weenies

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Bike week has ended and it's so quiet here now. Spooky.

Today we went to St. Andrews park and kayaked in the lagoon. Got an up close and personal dolphin encounter. Foxhound picked up a stowaway - a little lizard that was sunning himself on FH's kayak and didn't get noticed until we launched. The lizard crawled all over FH before finally perching on his hat for the last part of the trip, then he jumped down and ran off once we landed.

The park is terrific and it was a glorious day - sunny, low 80s, breezy. The perfect day for a paddle.
    ...and to think - our price for taking the kayaks out were much less per person than a boat ride to possibly see dolphins!

Since I am usually weenie girl and literally jump out of and nearly walk across the water if seaweed so much as brushes my leg - it nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw the fin of the FIRST dolphin I spotted. I believe it went something like "HOLY SHxT! I just saw a dolphin!" I was pretty nervous. Then it was really cool to watch them swim all about -we think we counted 5 or so. Then, later as we were heading back to the area we needed to return the kayaks, we saw more. All the dolphins we saw looked like they were quite young, or maybe just a smaller type. They were super frolicky and graceful. Not intimidating at all, really. I did get really startled once, thinking one was coming in too close, but I think Vrai & maybe FH had the closest encounters. It was a fun afternoon and the dolphins were definitely the highlight and a bonus!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    ...and to think - our price for taking the kayaks out were much less per person than a boat ride to possibly see dolphins!
    AND we got to work off our Muy Wayne-O dinner.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    The stowaway

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stowaway.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	122578
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries

Name:	par1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	122584

Name:	dol2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	122585

Name:	DSCF9432.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	122586

Name:	DSCF9442.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	122588

Name:	DSCF9443.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	122589
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

AND we got to work off our Muy Wayne-O dinner.
    Which, if anyone ever gets to PCB, is a MUST GO TO place to eat!

My first real Tex-Mex food experience and it was just insanely good. I've never had a more flavorful soft taco in my life!

The stowaway

Name:	stowaway.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	122578

May I snag your pic?

Blog Entries
    Just a couple of weeks left at PCB. It's been an adventure for sure.

3 weeks ago I retired my old Ford Explorer. It's served me well for the last 11 years. It's a tow vehicle which means it's been modified to pull behind the RV. That's 1 of the reasons I had it for so long. Well I promised I'd get a replacement when we were in Florida since it's my home of record and easy to do the DMV paperwork. I now have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. I still have to have it modified to tow. Just waiting for the base plate to show up so the work can be done. If I haven't mentioned it before, I hate vehicle shopping. The Panama City used car dealers are right out of central casting. Lots of double talk. But it's over and done. I will miss driving a stick shift vehicle.

Name:	610.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	122664

Kayaking is a lot of fun. Just watch out for the wet seat. I'm good for about 2 hours before parts of me start getting sore. Kayak spelled backwards is kayak, which is the direction you will be going if you kayak in a river with a strong current. Good thing St. Andrews bay doesn't have much of a current. Cost wise, it's very reasonable to spend a few hours on the water. Don't forget sunscreen.

Name:	DSCF9457.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	122665

Fishing! I like to fish. Luckily for me Vrai selects campgrounds with an eye for possible fishing locations. Our campground has 2 stocked ponds so I can just walk out the door and fish. PCB is surrounded by water. The problem is where to go. I don't have a particular style so I'm open to anything. I've gotten a few bass out of the ponds here. Lately I've been challenging myself and fishing just topwater lures. If you bass fish, you will know what I'm talking about. The lure floats on the top of the lake. It imitates a frog. When the bass hit the lure they have to launch themselves out of the water. It's quite exciting to watch a fish leave the water and go airborne after a lure. Which leads to my next story....

Saturday evening I made a few casts. It was right around sunset. I had 5 fish try to eat my topwater lure but I didn't hook any. And the bugs were starting to come out. So I set the alarm for 6am to go after topwater fish. On my 5th cast early Sunday morning I got a medium sized bass. My lure has 2 treble hooks. The rear hook was in the fish's gill plate. While trying to remove the hook the fish squirmed causing the middle hook to embed in my right thumb right near the nail. In the same motion the fish flops off and falls back into the water, so I wasn't able to get a picture to boast of my fishing prowess and taunt Misfit. Now the hard part comes. I try to remove the hook with my left hand. It's not as easy as it sounds. Then as a last resort I have to inform Vrai of my misfortune. As always, she's a trooper about my misadventures. We double team the hook and get it removed from the lure but it's still firmly planted in my thumb. Off to the ER for some early morning hook extraction. The ER here sees a lot of people with hooks in them as you can imagine. It took the doc all of 1/4 of a second to remove the hook. In case you care, this is how it was done, but without the Maker's Mark sedative.

War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries
    Saturday morning I was greeted with "So what do you want to do today?". Normally I just shrug my shoulders. But I did have something I wanted to do. Take a helicopter ride. We took the intro flight when we were in Myrtle Beach last year. This time we took a 20 minute helicopter ride over the beach and out to our favorite state park, St. Andrews. You can really appreciate how blue and clear the water is. We saw pods of sting rays and quite a few dolphins on our trek. The photos we took aren't as vivid as I remember the various sights being.

Name:	DSCN5644.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	122669

Name:	helo1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	122666

Name:	DSCF9529.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	122667

Name:	DSCF9535.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	122668

Name:	DSCF9540.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	122670

If you ever get a chance to do a helo ride, I highly recommend it.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Members who have read this thread: 46