Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Greetings from my happy place!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I shoulda gone with you all to Seaside. FH didn't enjoy our walkabout when we stopped in on our way to Destin.
    I think he was talking about a different town. There are several of them on 30A. Rosemary Beach is chi chi and you have to wear clothes, I'll bet that's what he was thinking of when he said it was too snooty looking. Seaside is roam about and grab something from the food truck to eat on the lawn, wander down to the beach with a beer in your hand, laid back.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Did you guys have to bug out?

Blog Entries
    Tropical storm Alberto - WOOT! Honestly, after the "squalls" we experienced in Marathon, it's going to take some doing to make my pulse race. At this point it's a cycle - rain HARD and high wind for 10 mins; calm for about an hour; rain HARD and high wind for 10 mins; calm for about an hour, etc. It's been doing that since 4am or so.

A lot of people bugged out of the campground yesterday; I won't worry until I see the campground workers taking cover. Plus they'll tell us if we need to get out, but I don't think it's going to come to that.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I think he was talking about a different town. There are several of them on 30A. Rosemary Beach is chi chi and you have to wear clothes, I'll bet that's what he was thinking of when he said it was too snooty looking. Seaside is roam about and grab something from the food truck to eat on the lawn, wander down to the beach with a beer in your hand, laid back.
    No, it was Seaside.The place with all the food trucks.We ate at the pickle place. (can't figure out why it is sideways! Can't fixee on this phone...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180509_123354.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	122858

Blog Entries
    These are the weather conditions that I hate on the days where we move. You have to breakdown and store everything wet and soggy. Hopefully things here dry out by Thursday. The plus side is that it's been in the 80s most days and that should dry things out quickly.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Traffic is indeed a bear when tourists flock. It's not so bad on the eastern side because everybody is doing the stuff on Front Beach and clogging up 98. We had a very slow ride back from Seaside yesterday because of beach traffic.

Which is what we did yesterday - drove to Seaside. When I was there a couple weeks ago I spotted Bud & Alley's pizza joint, with a beach front patio that was so inviting I had to grab Monello and go back. You sit on little cozy little cushioned couches and your table is more of a coffee table. After lunch we walked around and bought cronuts (which is Monello's new favorite pastry). Tons of people, kids playing on the lawn - yes, everyone running around in swimsuits. Seaside is a super cute little town - it's where The Truman Show was filmed. It's a picture perfect beach town.

Last night it freaking POURED. I woke up about 4am to rain beating on the roof of the motorhome, but this morning it's sunny and clear. Mother Nature's little love tap sent a number of the vacationers packing, which always amuses me. It'll rain, and they all scurry away, but if they'd waited a few hours it would be sunny and they could get back to recreating.

Merlin, how are your son and his wife liking Tyndall, other than tourists clogging up the works?
    I know you guys are in the same area, but your description of the place and his you'd think you were in two different states. He's not got a lot of good things to say about the place bears, tourist, bugs and humidity. He's there with two kids, a toddler and a baby, so that could be influencing his opinion. Also he didn't want to leave Nebraska, but the AF had other plans.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    I know you guys are in the same area, but your description of the place and his you'd think you were in two different states. He's not got a lot of good things to say about the place bears, tourist, bugs and humidity. He's there with two kids, a toddler and a baby, so that could be influencing his opinion. Also he didn't want to leave Nebraska, but the AF had other plans.
    The time of year that we are here, we pretty much avoid all the humidity. I have noticed some annoying bugs later in the evenings around the pond. For the most part we've been here for 5 months and bugs have been a non issue.

Tourists are a given in the part of town where we are. Tyndall is a ways away, after traveling through the city of Panama City. It looks pretty laid back from what I saw. No bears. There are a few gators in the state park. I smell skunk every once in a while.

Veterans before illegals

Blog Entries
    When the lawn crew came around the Park Models one day - they were spreading the pine needle mulch around all the bushes and pretty much lined all around the mobile homes with it. I am pretty sure it harbored bugs, since it probably sits in those huge round bales for long periods of time before use. I about had a dang heart attack when we came back later in the evening, turned on the lights and there went a palmetto-type bug scurrying along the counter top and landed on another level of counter below. OMG,I am really not exaggerating when I say it was *nearly the size of a mouse - probably 3/4 the size of a small mouse. Foxhound had to go fetch it - because I am reduced to a pitiful and cowering wuss when it comes to those things. It can be downright embarassing. I don't think even snakes scare me as much

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Different strokes....

It's funny to me that anyone would not want to leave Nebraska winters for year round beach. But I do get that - NE is a nice place to raise a family, plus you get used to the wide open. That's definitely one of the things I miss about home, the room to stretch out.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Parting views from PCB

Name:	DSCF9571.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	122930

These pirates were all plastered on grog and nearly ran aground on the beach which is the light color in the picture. Actually the channel drops off right near the shore. You can see the channel marker to the extreme fight of the photo. The water on the starboard side of the boat is actually quite shallow. So all the boats have to navigate quite close to the shore in this area. That doesn't stop them from flying though there at breakneck speed.

Name:	DSCF9564.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	122931

The red building in the middle of the picture is a sail up bait shop. There are nets full of shrimp and bait fish that they provide for anglers heading out of the pass to fish in the Gulf.

Name:	DSCF9570.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	122932

Lastly a picture of our newly modified tow bar.

Name:	DSCF9575.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	122933

Veterans before illegals

Members who have read this thread: 87