Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings from my happy place!

Blog Entries

Greetings from my happy place!

Hello Panama City Beach! Have you missed me as much as I've missed you?

This place is crawling with families and young adults - spring breakers - but our little nest is peaceful and serene. Tons of kids running around, of course, but camper kids tend to be well-behaved. Just playing and having fun, not stealing your stuff or screaming obscenities like other kids.

Last night, exhausted from our drive and the complications that arose, we went to dinner at Wicked Wheels. I had a burger without the bun, and Monello had...ready?...chicken tenders. I've never seen him eat a chicken tender in the four years we've been together until last night.

Today is my first of the month, so I'm glued to the computer. Hopefully I can get everything done in a timely manner and go play.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

T-30 days and a wake up to go and counting!

Blog Entries
    We had the most lovely evening. I had a big work day and finally finished around 4:00, just in time for Monello to grill some steaks and corn on the cob, and sit outside enjoying the gorgeous weather while we ate. Like-minded people grilling their own dinner, kids riding around on bikes, people walking their dogs, fishermen over at the pond giving their arm a workout. After dinner we went for a bike ride and met some folks who live in one of the tiny houses onsite. They told us all about their experience (long story short, they're exceedingly happy).

This is my favorite campground in my favorite location.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

4. 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM

Blog Entries
    The weather was glorious today - high 70s. We had a swim and grilled steaks for dinner. The other day we went to the beach at St. Andrews SP and had a walk. That water was COLD. But it's a terrific park, with several beach areas, a pretty nice campground, bike rentals, kayak rentals, boat launch, gator sightings, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is where I want to settle when we're ready to come off the road. It's going to be awhile because we haven't been everywhere yet, but I can absolutely see myself here being happy until I fall off my Sharky's bar stool and die in the sand.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

6. 04-13-2018, 12:28 AM

No one cares.

Blog Entries
    We met some people in the pool who gave us an enormous list of restaurants we need to try. They're locals who don't do the tourist thing, so they know how to get off the beaten path and find those gems. Monello and I have worked off our year and a half of indulgence weight and are now trying to reduce from there, so we'll wait until Bann and FH get here to traipse them around and eat things that are bad for us.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    After I got my work done we had a swim, then went to Sharky's for margaritas and to watch Brooke Henderson smoke her opponents. After, we went to Shane's BBQ for dinner. It was really good - not Texas good, but good - and we have leftovers for days.

It was another stinking gorgeous day. Tomorrow we're going into Old Panama City to see what we can see.

I'm back down to my weight I was before we left for our adventure. So a year and a half to gain it; 6 months to get rid of it. Not too bad. It was worth it.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Yesterday it was Florida cold and also extremely windy. So we did indoor things. First stop was Ripley's Believe It Or Not. It's a bunch of oddities and some trivial. Several floors of it. They had some very unique art work. Some that stand out are portraits of celebrities in things like lipstick, litebrites, cassette tape ribbon, push pins, broken record pieces and candle wax. There are some very creative and imaginative artists out there.

Then we went for some chow. Bayou Billy's is a name that sounds like it should be on the water. But seeing how this place was across the street from the beach and it being chilly & windy, it didn't matter anyway. Chatting with the barkeeper, we got a few more recommendations on places to visit down here.

3rd stop was a watering hole called Whisky Saloon. They had a 7 piece band playing. There was a guy at the bar next to us. He was drinking Pabst BR. He was also wearing a PBR hat and kept his beer cool in a PBR koozie. Turns out the guy is 69 years old but he really didn't look that old. Further along in conversation we discover that he's in America illegally. My impression of illegals is always somewhat younger men here for work. And guess where he's from originally.

Canada!

Yep, some canuck snuck over and never went back. Before 9/11 he said he could come and go at will but then the cracked down at the border so he didn't risk going back home. Somehow he's managed to make a life in Florida and on Sunday he can sit on a barstool and listen to music. And I have to say they have really comfortable bar stools there complete with back support.

Once when we were in Biloxi, MS we had breakfast at Waffle House. This place was located across the street from the Gulf of Mexico. There was no development on the other side of the street so they had an unobstructed view of the water. We asked the staff if they ever get tired of tha that amazing view and the all replied NO.

On the way back we passed 2 WHs and we reminisced about the Mississippi establishment. Somehow the car got turned around and we ended up in WH having coffee. It was at shift change time and we were the only customers. We find out from the employees that they all like working at Waffle House. They have profit sharing and 401Ks. The cook mentioned that he gets a percent of everything that we are eating. All the restaurants are owned by the same family and they take care of their employees. So if Waffle House can do it, I wonder why more fast food places don't have similar policies.

Then it was back to the campground. It's all littered with pine cones and palm fronds that got blown down from the last 2 days of gale force winds. It's a bit nippy today but the sun is out. Hopefully it warms up enough where we can get in the pool. All in all, it's been an interesting 2 weeks so far in Panama City Beach.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Blog Entries
    I've been craving Tally-Ho for a week now so today we went for a nice long bike ride at St. Andrews Park so I could eat corndog and onion rings with a clear conscience. Oh, and I had a burger, too. Oink.

Tally-Ho is a drive-in joint that's a throwback from the 50s. There's no inside - you either sit in your car or at one of their picnic tables and the carhop comes to you. It's one of those iconic places that a local has to tell you about or you just get lucky and find; TA and Yelp aren't going to tell you it exists. There is nothing healthy on the menu. Like, at all.

We've eaten at so many different places in so many different cities that we're fairly jaded when it comes to food. Now we look for atmosphere and uniqueness. So many of these restaurants are pretty much the same, with the same decor and the same menu, that unless it's completely unique like Xiao Bao Biscuit we'd rather have a dive with kitsch. Our next food excursion will be to Muy Wayne Os, just to give you an idea. There's also a hot dog stand on Back Beach that we may or may not get to, but downtown Panama City has Tom's Hot Dogs, which was delicious and throwback cool.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Only 12 more days!

I'm pretty much packed with what I'm taking to wear, since I wear work clothes during the weekdays and there's pretty much only 3 more weekend days until we leave. I highly doubt our weather will be warm enough to need many of my warmer weather clothes!

Members who have read this thread: 47