Make the Chracter Female .... just because

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It looks as though Steven Spielberg wishes to join George Lucas in the fight to destroy as many childhood memories as humanly possible. Already halfway there with the dreadful "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," the director has proposed giving the beloved character Indiana Jones a sex change.

Speaking to The Sun, Spielberg actually said that when Harrison Ford hangs up his hat and whip as the globe-trotting archeologist, a woman could take the role under the name "Indiana Joan."

[clip]

Spielberg thinks his statement is a paragon of wokeness, but it's actually quite condescending, not just to men, but also to women. Similar to those who called for a gender-swap on James Bond, Spielberg's notion (however flippant or off-the-cuff) that Indiana Jones should be a woman in the name of "gender equality" demeans and insults those he wishes to empower. If women are fully capable of leading an action franchise (which they most certainly are), then they should be given the dignity of uniquely crafted characters, not hand-me-downs from their male counterparts. To suggest that a woman or a black man or anyone else can only get ahead if a white male paves the way for them is insulting.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29053/spielberg-next-indiana-jones-could-be-woman-paul-bois

Clem72

Like the new Lost in Space series on Netflix. Got to add some diversity to the cast, make the family biracial and change Dr. Smith to a woman.

hqdefault.jpg

SamSpade

There IS a female Indiana Jones.
Her name is Lara Croft.

Sadly, Spielberg doesn't own Tomb Raider.

Hijinx

Everybody has to be included these days.

Women, blacks, Chinese, Indians. Half the commercials on TV now have interracial couples.

Seinfeld___Not that there is anything wrong with that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Bah, look at The Greatest American Hero.....

Actualy. my complaint isn't that they made the lead an Indian American woman ......... it's that they chose a model........ Mindy Kaling comes to mind.....

:shrug:

.... Hannah Simone just doesn't seem to me a Indiana Jones type

Greatest American Hero IMHO can be a 'generic' anybody male, female, Asian, African ... given the story line

Indiana Jones however has a long history starting in the early 1920's as a Boy Scout and yeah there is Laura Croft

glhs837

Power with Control
:shrug:

.... Hannah Simone just doesn't seem to me a Indiana Jones type

Greatest American Hero IMHO can be a 'generic' anybody male, female, Asian, African ... given the story line

Indiana Jones however has a long history starting in the early 1920's as a Boy Scout and yeah there is Laura Croft

Not sure why you are mentioning Simone in connection with Indiana Jones, I wasnt saying she should have that role. My point was that whiile the GAH can indeed be anyone, part of the nature of it is that that anybody is most likely to not be a model. Given human distribution, the odds are pretty high that is's going to be someone of average attractiveness, not signficantly above or below the curve. Hence the casting choice for the original series.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not sure why you are mentioning Simone in connection with Indiana Jones ....

my bad ... you are right GAH ... still doesn't fit that mold in my mind

part of the nature of it is that that anybody is most likely to not be a model. Given human distribution, the odds are pretty high that is's going to be someone of average attractiveness, not signficantly above or below the curve

:yay:

William Katt was no Rock Hudson

glhs837

Power with Control
my bad ... you are right GAH ... still doesn't fit that mold in my mind

:yay:

William Katt was no Rock Hudson

But so totally a believeable high school teacher and OJT superhero........ along the lines of Chuck.