Asking Census-Takers If They’re LGBT Reinforces Gay People As Separate And Unequal

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In truth, LGBT programs and studies are outdated and rely on strict definitions and assumed social circumstances that are unverifiable and unsustainable. Unlike other characteristics, sexual orientation and gender identity are self-defined and self-reported. There is no consistency in how “gender identity” is defined at all, let alone in a category useful for data collection.

While I challenge the idea that it is necessary to know how many same-sex couples, married or otherwise, there are in the country, it makes absolutely no sense to count the number of single individuals who identify as gay. Certainly, if LGBT are “erased” by not being specifically identified, so are straight or cis people who also lack an opportunity to express their sexual orientation or gender identity.

There is no reason to include the fact that I am gay, or my spouse is a man. Under legal or social equality, it shouldn’t matter anymore than I am Jewish, and he is Atheist. It seems ridiculous that I have to designate that I am in a same-sex marriage and directly implies my marriage must be different than an opposite-sex marriage, otherwise no distinction would be needed.

Asking Census-Takers If They’re LGBT Reinforces Gay People As Separate And Unequal