Confused by the new smoke detector law

softtouch

My house in Calvert was built in 1978. It's a single story with basement.
When I bought it in 1991, it had one AC powered detector in the hallway outside the three bedrooms.

If I understand it correctly, this complied with the federal code but not Maryland code at the time the house was built.
Because it was built between 1975 and 1990 it should have had AC powered detectors in each bedroom.

Did the counties have their own codes in the 70s or was it always just a state code?

It looks like I am required to have an electrician install AC powered detectors in my bedrooms. The long life battery detectors is not an option for me.

Maybe I should find out who the building inspector was back in 78 and have him flogged.

limblips

PREMO Member
The requirement you mentioned for 1975 was only Montgomery County. It didn't become statewide until 1989.

http://www.shulmanrogers.com/newsletter-295.html

Your house is "to code" right now. It would only become an issue if you sell, if then, or rent it out. Possibly your insurance company might have something to say.

Or the house catches fire. Get them installed and while at it do a few CO detectors also.

black dog

Free America
I would just install myself a few 10 year battery detectors. One or two in the basement and another one on the first floor.
But I definitely would add more if it was my home. And I'd only do CO detectors if I had
Natural gas, propane, wood or oil heat, hot water or stove, basically something that can cause CO to build up in the home. But that's me and what I would do.

softtouch

I am trying to find out if I am legally required to install a hardwired AC detector in my basement. And if so does it have to be interconnected with the detector upstairs.
I have left a message with the State Fire Marshals office for clarification. Still waiting for a call back.

My house was built in Calvert in 1978 with just the one hardwired detector in the hall outside the three bedroom doors. No detector in the basement.
Was this all that was required in Calvert in 1978?

I have installed 9volt battery detectors in other rooms since I bought the house in 1991. I replaced the AC detector 3.5 years ago with one with a 9 volt battery back-up.
I am going to replace the 9 volt detectors with the 10 year long life models.

A flyer that came from Solomons FD with their contribution request has me confused as to what is required in the basement.

I realize the optimum is to have all hardwired AC with battery backup and interconnected so if one detects smoke they all sound the alarm.
But I have no idea what the cost would be to retrofit the house to that level of protection.

Attachments

• Solomons VFD smoke detector flyer.pdf
    532.9 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:

officeguy

I have installed 9volt battery detectors in other rooms since I bought the house in 1991. I replaced the AC detector 3.5 years ago with one with a 9 volt battery back-up.
I am going to replace the 9 volt detectors with the 10 year long life models.

A flyer that came from Solomons FD with their contribution request has me confused as to what is required in the basement.

Kidde and some other companies now make 'meshed' smoke and CO alarms. They make both hard-wired and battery only versions. They communicate with each other using wifi so they all go off if one of them is tripped. If you have any sources of CO in the house (wood stoves, gas appliances), you should put a combined smoke/CO alarm on each level and a smoke alarm in each bedroom.

The best solution is an all hardwired system with battery backup in each unit. If you dont want to start stringing wires, the next best solution is one of those interconnected systems.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
While y'all are hard wiring smoke alarms into a 40 year old house don't forget to install the now required residential sprinklers.

PeoplesElbow

Pretty sure it is only required in new construction.

My house was built in 1976 and when I bought it, it only had a single AC smoke detector in the hallway outside all the bedrooms.

THat would be ridiculous to require people to install electrical wiring just to sell their house.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It is only for new construction unless "major" rehabilitation is going to be done. "Major" is usually defined as more than 50% of house's value, and even that number has slop in it.

Having said that, there are a lot of buyers who want to buy an old house and have it be brand new when they move in. So they'll ask for a new roof, furnace/AC, flooring, windows, etc. whether anything is needed or not.

Some of that comes from inspectors who will say something on the lines of "Furnace working but appears to be 10 years old. Will likely need to be replaced" or "Wiring not up to current code". The first doesn't mean anything except that the furnace isn't brand new. The last doesn't mean anything about whether it's safe or adequate, just that it doesn't meet the current Electrical Code, which changes every couple years.

Many buyers will freak out and demand all the stuff be "fixed".

Last edited:

nutz

It is only for new construction unless "major" rehabilitation is going to be done. "Major" is usually defined as more than 50% of house's value, and even that number has slop in it.

Having said that, there are a lot of buyers who want to buy an old house and have it be brand new when they move in. So they'll ask for a new roof, furnace/AC, flooring, windows, etc. whether anything is needed or not.

Some of that comes from inspectors who will say something on the lines of "Furnace working but appears to be 10 years old. Will likely need to be replaced" or "Wiring not up to current code". The first doesn't mean anything except that the furnace isn't brand new. The last doesn't mean anything about whether it's safe or adequate, just that it doesn't meet the current Electrical Code, which changes every couple years.

Many buyers will freak out and demand all the stuff be "fixed".

:yay: Too many people watching HGTV type shows that have no real world experience. We just sold a property and their inspector failed the septic for "hydraulic flow test"..WTF is that? Well, as it turns out, the company that failed it wasn't certified to conduct the test. Finally found the list of who is certified, had the test redone and it passed. Prospective homeowner and agent wanted a new system installed and certified. I said sure, I'll put up the first $500, you foot the rest. They ended up buying as is and I kept my money.

softtouch

I received an e-mail from:
Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal
Commander-Southern Regional Office

I do not have to install an AC powered interconnected detector in my basement.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

That is similar to my understanding, and what I tell when folks asked at the store.
If you have battery operated units, they have to be the 10-year battery ones.

If you are not hard wired now, you are not constrained to install hard wired.

But, do check the dates on any detectors, they do have an expiration.

Did not want to chime in until an answer from a more knowledgeable source was received.

officeguy

Given that a number of fires each year start in the basement (malfunctioning furnace, electrical panels, dryers etc.), I would want to have an interconnected smoke alarm in the basement. You want the thing to wake you up in the incipient part of the basement fire, not after it has cut off your escape routes. So either wiring a unit together with your existing unit or using the wifi interconnected type would be what I would do.

softtouch

Given that a number of fires each year start in the basement (malfunctioning furnace, electrical panels, dryers etc.), I would want to have an interconnected smoke alarm in the basement. You want the thing to wake you up in the incipient part of the basement fire, not after it has cut off your escape routes. So either wiring a unit together with your existing unit or using the wifi interconnected type would be what I would do.
I first wanted to level set with what is legally required.
My one AC powered detector is less than 10 years old. I am in compliance with the fire codes. Everything else is recommended.
I am not trying to discourage anyone from doing the recommended things.

I have not dug too deep into the wifi interconnected units, but I don't think they meet the 10 year sealed battery requirement.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I first wanted to level set with what is legally required.

Just can't figure out the tizzy over this big brother law and why everyone is bending over backwards to comply. It's a smoke detector people. Does everyone here fall into the lowest common denominator that this "law" is the focus of? Really? How hard of a job is to check the battery operated smoke detector in your home on a regular basis to keep YOUR family safe? Mine is checked every time I'm cooking. If it's not going off I'm doing something wrong. But really, FCS. What is the big deal? Can we as a people not think for ourselves? Must our hands be constantly held as we go through life? On that note, I'm ordering the old style. For decades, they have been the go to across the country. I see no reason to change now.