1 Samuel 20 Two friends

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 20:35 In the morning Jonathan went out to the field for his meeting with David. He had a small boy with him, 36 and he said to the boy, “Run and find the arrows I shoot.” As the boy ran, he shot an arrow beyond him. 37 When the boy came to the place where Jonathan’s arrow had fallen, Jonathan called out after him, “Isn’t the arrow beyond you?” 38 Then he shouted, “Hurry! Go quickly! Don’t stop!” The boy picked up the arrow and returned to his master. 39 (The boy knew nothing about all this; only Jonathan and David knew.) 40 Then Jonathan gave his weapons to the boy and said, “Go, carry them back to town.”

41 After the boy had gone, David got up from the south side of the stone and bowed down before Jonathan three times, with his face to the ground. Then they kissed each other and wept together—but David wept the most.

42 Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the Lord, saying, ‘The Lord is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’” Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town.(b)​

1 Samuel 20:42 In Hebrew texts this sentence (20:42b) is numbered 21:1.

It must be a horrible feeling, finding out that your father hates your best friend so much. It must have been hard for Jonathan to watch his father wither up in hate like that. Apparently, Jonathan loved and trusted his father. Until now, Jonathan thought he could depend on his father... and now he sees him for what he is. How sad.

This is from the blueletterbible.org.

If Jonathan had reason to weep, David had more so. The pain of being apart was bad enough, but it was worse for David because he was cut off from everything, and destined to live for many years the life of a fugitive.

"Behind you is the sunny morning, before you a lowering sky; behind you the blessed enjoyment of friendship, wife, home, royal favor, and popular adulation, before you an outcast's life." (Meyer)​

Jonathan knew he might never see David again. In fact, David and Jonathan will only meet once more, shortly before Jonathan's death. But David now left for a life of hiding, secrecy, and danger. But Jonathan could send David away in peace, because they have both have agreed to honor each other not only in life, but to honor each other's families beyond their own lifetimes.

I'm telling you... these men from the family of Jacob [Israel] sure do get in rough spots. Joseph was throne down in a well and sold into slavery, then went to prison for something he didn't do.... then he was released and pretty much ran Egypt. Now there's David. He was probably happy sitting in the meadow with the sheep. He probably got a real charge out of running off those animals of prey. He probably spent a lot of time playing his guitar [lyre] and composing music. Now he's on the lamb because the king says "they like him more than they like me". Sure they like him more... instead of sitting on his hands.. he went out and killed Goliath.

Now I'm getting preachy... I just feel for the guy.... Verse 41 says David cried harder.... I bet he did....David's life has been turned upside down.....he's running because the king is crazy.

:coffee: