Whirlpool Refrigerator water filter replacement

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I need to change it and got sticker shock when I started looking at a replacement: $50 at Lowe's for ONE!!! So I started looking at cheaper places to buy it from and/or alternative brands.

It is a Whirlpool EveryDrop model EDR3RXD1. For the price of one at Lowe's, I can get a 3-pack from other manufacturers: Vitalium, Glacial Pure, and Upsante are some of the brands I have seen on Amazon. Are they equivalent? Is one brand better than the other? Best place to purchase them from?

Also, the refrigerator leaks every once in a while (maybe once a week) and leaves a puddle of water on the kitchen floor. The filter is located at the base so I assume this is where the leak is and may be related to the fact the filter needs to be replaced. Yes? No? Do I need to look for something else?

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

Chris0nllyn

You'll need to check the filter types/media to determine if they are equivalent. Most likely they are simple carbon filters and are equal, but not sure.

Do you have an ice maker and water dispenser in the door? If so, make sure the flap closes after ice dispenses. My old fridge would leave a puddle but that was because the flap wouldn;t shut and ice would melt, fill the overflow tray, down the front of the fridge, and onto the floor.

Also, fridges typically use push connect fittings on the water lines, so pop off the lower cover and wiggle around the lines to see if you can re-create a drip. If so, you may need to pop the line off, trim it, and push it back on for a better connection. It's hard to say for sure if the filter is the problem, but if it's super clogged, it would make sense that the line would experience higher pressure and potentially cause a leak.

The puddle may be from a defrost cycle. There's supposed to be a catch pan under there, and the water evaporates from that. Maybe the drip hose isn't pointing in the right place.

As far as filters, yes, they make a difference. I have a Kenmore (Samsung). The OEM Kenmore filters are really expensive too. Found a Culligan replacement filter to fit at half the price, thought with a name like Culligan it would be good. Terrible. Absolutely no good for taste, I clearly taste chlorine and did not with the OEM filter.

Sometimes you just have to buy one and try it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You'll need to check the filter types/media to determine if they are equivalent. Most likely they are simple carbon filters and are equal, but not sure.
I am not sure either so I thought I would ask here. :lol:

Do you have an ice maker and water dispenser in the door? If so, make sure the flap closes after ice dispenses. My old fridge would leave a puddle but that was because the flap wouldn;t shut and ice would melt, fill the overflow tray, down the front of the fridge, and onto the floor.
Yes, there is an ice maker and water dispenser in the door, as well as the ice container. I have never seen this set up before. No problem that I can see with the flap and the ice doesn't melt much in the tray. But I will check closer to make sure. There is no evidence of water coming down the outside of the fridge as the trail to the water puddle comes from underneath only.

Also, fridges typically use push connect fittings on the water lines, so pop off the lower cover and wiggle around the lines to see if you can re-create a drip. If so, you may need to pop the line off, trim it, and push it back on for a better connection. It's hard to say for sure if the filter is the problem, but if it's super clogged, it would make sense that the line would experience higher pressure and potentially cause a leak.
I figured I would try the changing the filter first to see if it stops the leak, then investigate further if need be. Process of elimination. I will keep this in mind and thanks for the information! :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The puddle may be from a defrost cycle. There's supposed to be a catch pan under there, and the water evaporates from that. Maybe the drip hose isn't pointing in the right place.
Thanks and my thoughts were maybe the pan is full, not positioned correctly, or like you said the hose is out of place to hit the pan.

As far as filters, yes, they make a difference. I have a Kenmore (Samsung). The OEM Kenmore filters are really expensive too. Found a Culligan replacement filter to fit at half the price, thought with a name like Culligan it would be good. Terrible. Absolutely no good for taste, I clearly taste chlorine and did not with the OEM filter.

Sometimes you just have to buy one and try it.
I have "city" water now for the first time and would like to be able to drink the water instead of using a filtration pitcher like I do now. I just don't want to pay for a cheaper filter then wind up having to pay for the OEM one. :nomoney: :lol:

I have "city" water now for the first time and would like to be able to drink the water instead of using a filtration pitcher like I do now. I just don't want to pay for a cheaper filter then wind up having to pay for the OEM one. :nomoney: :lol:

Then maybe a better option is to get an under-the-sink filter for the tap. A little cost up front but less expensive in the long run. Cooking with filtered water is better too. I use one on my kitchen island water tap.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Then maybe a better option is to get an under-the-sink filter for the tap. A little cost up front but less expensive in the long run. Cooking with filtered water is better too. I use one on my kitchen island water tap.

I have thought about that, too. :lol: But not my house and I am not willing nor able to shell out that kind of money at present. And yes, filtered water is best for cooking. I rarely make pasta and other things that require boiling in water but can tell it leaves an aftertaste.

glhs837

Power with Control
Six of those stock filters would get you a whole house system that self flushes. But anyway, a lot of the cheaper ones off Amazon ae chinese knockoffs, the reviews tell the story. I have a three door Whirlpool Gold fridge that had an occasional leak. Ended up being a problem with the drain for the defrost. It had a squueze section that would not open. That led to a build up of ice under the bottom freezer drawer. Every few weeks, I had to remove that bottom drawer and break up the ice. Eventually called Whirlpool who told me they would only pay for the warranty repair if I had a repair guy out to daignose. I figured two service calls, one to diagnose and one to repair was going to cost me two-three hundred dollars.

So I bought the new part at about $50 bucks, that was maybe three years back, no leaks since.

http://neighboursappliance.com/bottom-mount-whirlpool-fridge-leaking-water/

Chris0nllyn

Six of those stock filters would get you a whole house system that self flushes. But anyway, a lot of the cheaper ones off Amazon ae chinese knockoffs, the reviews tell the story. I have a three door Whirlpool Gold fridge that had an occasional leak. Ended up being a problem with the drain for the defrost. It had a squueze section that would not open. That led to a build up of ice under the bottom freezer drawer. Every few weeks, I had to remove that bottom drawer and break up the ice. Eventually called Whirlpool who told me they would only pay for the warranty repair if I had a repair guy out to daignose. I figured two service calls, one to diagnose and one to repair was going to cost me two-three hundred dollars.

So I bought the new part at about $50 bucks, that was maybe three years back, no leaks since.

http://neighboursappliance.com/bottom-mount-whirlpool-fridge-leaking-water/

Sort of off-topic, but sort of related.

I just renovated my kitchen and bought all new appliances. A door closer broke on my less-than-6-month-old fridge. I call Samsung and say "hey, this is the part that broke, here's the part number". They say "Let me check to see if they can send you the part directly. We'll call within 5 days".

A week later I get 2 calls. 1 each from 2 different repair companies.

They both call to schedule my service appointment. I tell them I don't want an appointment and don't need one. I know the part, it's clearly broken, held on by a single screw and don;t want to waste anyone's time and only want the part. The lady on the phone proceeds to tell me that they have to come look at it and if the tech deems it "cosmetic" I'm liable for a $160 service charge minimum.

I bought the part for $10 on Amazon and put it on in 30 seconds last night.

This #### infuriates me and I (sorta) feel bad for taking that frustration out on that unsuspecting woman, but it's absolutely ridiculous that something under warranty requires jumping through hoops, taking time off work, and potentially being held liable for a $160+ charge at the whim of the tech. This is more of a FYI to anyone who may be concidering an appliance that offers an additional "extended warranty". It's not worth it.

PeoplesElbow

Sort of off-topic, but sort of related.

I just renovated my kitchen and bought all new appliances. A door closer broke on my less-than-6-month-old fridge. I call Samsung and say "hey, this is the part that broke, here's the part number". They say "Let me check to see if they can send you the part directly. We'll call within 5 days".

A week later I get 2 calls. 1 each from 2 different repair companies.

They both call to schedule my service appointment. I tell them I don't want an appointment and don't need one. I know the part, it's clearly broken, held on by a single screw and don;t want to waste anyone's time and only want the part. The lady on the phone proceeds to tell me that they have to come look at it and if the tech deems it "cosmetic" I'm liable for a $160 service charge minimum.

I bought the part for $10 on Amazon and put it on in 30 seconds last night.

This #### infuriates me and I (sorta) feel bad for taking that frustration out on that unsuspecting woman, but it's absolutely ridiculous that something under warranty requires jumping through hoops, taking time off work, and potentially being held liable for a $160+ charge at the whim of the tech. This is more of a FYI to anyone who may be concidering an appliance that offers an additional "extended warranty". It's not worth it.

I have a friend with an appliance store, he cautioned me that he would buy any brand fridge out there except a Samsung. They are pretty and trendy, but he had so many problems with people wanting to return them he simply quit carrying Samsung appliances.

PeoplesElbow

I need to change it and got sticker shock when I started looking at a replacement: $50 at Lowe's for ONE!!! So I started looking at cheaper places to buy it from and/or alternative brands.

It is a Whirlpool EveryDrop model EDR3RXD1. For the price of one at Lowe's, I can get a 3-pack from other manufacturers: Vitalium, Glacial Pure, and Upsante are some of the brands I have seen on Amazon. Are they equivalent? Is one brand better than the other? Best place to purchase them from?

Also, the refrigerator leaks every once in a while (maybe once a week) and leaves a puddle of water on the kitchen floor. The filter is located at the base so I assume this is where the leak is and may be related to the fact the filter needs to be replaced. Yes? No? Do I need to look for something else?

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

I have had good luck with these from home depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-FMW...lter-Fits-Whirlpool-Filter-3-107100/206181239

Chris0nllyn

I have a friend with an appliance store, he cautioned me that he would buy any brand fridge out there except a Samsung. They are pretty and trendy, but he had so many problems with people wanting to return them he simply quit carrying Samsung appliances.

Don't tell my wife that. I tried not going with Samsung, but it's what she wanted. The black stainless looks awesome and the fringerprint-less coating works great, but I'm worried about longevity.

Funny thing, after posting that I got a call from Samsung wondering why I chose not to pursue the work. I explained everything to them and they offered to give me a refund, so that's nice.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Don't tell my wife that. I tried not going with Samsung, but it's what she wanted. The black stainless looks awesome and the fringerprint-less coating works great, but I'm worried about longevity.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, be careful with that black stainless finish. It is a very fine and delicate laminate that covers that stainless steel. If not careful, it will peel or chip/peel off in spots ruining that pretty finish. I was warned about that at Lowes by the sales folks when I was looking for a frig a couple a mouths ago. As I was told, the best way for it not to happen is to not get it.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, be careful with that black stainless finish. It is a very fine and delicate laminate that covers that stainless steel. If not careful, it will peel or chip/peel off in spots ruining that pretty finish. I was warned about that at Lowes by the sales folks when I was looking for a frig a couple a mouths ago. As I was told, the best way for it not to happen is to not get it.

That might call for a spray can of plastidip, that might look pretty good.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

While it's not perfect, Samsung outperformed all other black stainless.
https://blog.yaleappliance.com/can-black-stainless-steel-appliances-be-scratched