Coyote photographed in Lusby

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Lusby, MD - Local resident Justin Wood happened to have a camera handy when he spotted this coyote in Lusby over the weekend, and his photo has been the subject of some discussion on local social media pages. Many others in the area have also seen coyotes roaming around, but it is rare to get such a good picture of one here in Southern Maryland.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources says that Southern Maryland coyote populations are healthy and growing. The region is ideal for their sustenance, plenty of small game, plenty of fresh water.

Coyotes typically run between 30-40 pounds, and look about the size of a small German shepherd. They have elongated snouts, large erect ears, and a bushy tail. Be aware of their presence in the region. Coyotes are carnivores and scavengers, so be sure to secure your garbage cans and care for small pets accordingly.

coyote.jpg

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0418/coyote-photographed-in-lusby.html

glhs837

Power with Control
Hope he eats my neighbors dog that he leaves out to howl all day and night.

So your neighbors an ass, and you want a dog to be eaten alive..... ? I could understand wanting your neighbor to be bitten by the coyote....

glhs837

Power with Control
They are certainly around.

Turkey season starts tomorrow. Shoot em if you can.

Not seen any around my place, but I know they have been sighted a few miles south in St Inigoes, they most likely wont pass through the colllege area :)

So who am I shooting, the turkeys or the coyotes? My place is surrounded by turkeys, I hear them on all sides in the morning when walking the dogs.

Chris0nllyn

Not seen any around my place, but I know they have been sighted a few miles south in St Inigoes, they most likely wont pass through the colllege area :)

So who am I shooting, the turkeys or the coyotes? My place is surrounded by turkeys, I hear them on all sides in the morning when walking the dogs.

Turkeys first.

Coyotes can be hunted year-round.

Can't wait to get in the woods this weekend. I always love spring turkey season (minus the bugs crawling all over you).

black dog

Free America
had six around us coon hunting one night in chaptico. have seen them on our place in buddscreek.

I in fact know a kid that has a electronic caller and a Fireball. He'll help clean when he's on leave this fall?... Plus he has been spending the night on the Plantation pretty regularly the past year or so.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Wake me up when some decent looking cougars are spotted.

One good thing, at least DNR is now admitting that coyotes are present in Southern Maryland. They denied it for years.

black dog

Free America

One good thing, at least DNR is now admitting that coyotes are present in Southern Maryland. They denied it for years.

We have them thick out here. I wack them when I can, but I know guys that harvest 60 to a 100 a year. When a animal doesn't have a predator, and they reproduce in litters.
It gets out of hand really quickly.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
We have them thick out here. I wack them when I can, but I know guys that harvest 60 to a 100 a year. When a animal doesn't have a predator, and they reproduce in litters.
It gets out of hand really quickly.

You're in Montana or some such aren't you?

I had one sneaking around my decoy spread for a couple years several years ago when I hunted in Charles. I never got a clear shot.

black dog

Free America
You're in Montana or some such aren't you?

I had one sneaking around my decoy spread for a couple years several years ago when I hunted in Charles. I never got a clear shot.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean cougars. We have coyotes here in Indiana.. Thick as flys in the Outer Banks in the summer.

Chris0nllyn

I was at a wild game dinner about 8 years ago and DNR did a presentation on the prevalence of coyotes in southern Maryland

warneckutz

Why would they deny it? Is it more work for them (DNR) for the same pay and that outweighs public safety? :lol:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Why would they deny it? Is it more work for them (DNR) for the same pay and that outweighs public safety? :lol:

I don't know why. I think part of it may be public panic avoidance. I earlier mentioned seeing one for a couple years where I goose hunt in Charles. When I got checked by a rabbit cop one day (actually one of many days) I mentioned it to him. He told me I was crazy and there were no coyotes in Charles. The same thing in Calvert when I've talked to them here.

Then again, I had one try to cite me for having an unplugged shotgun. The gun in question was an over/under. She had her citation book out and was getting ready to start writing when the training officer stepped in.