1 Samuel 23 Yes or No

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 23:7 Saul was told that David had gone to Keilah, and he said, “God has delivered him into my hands, for David has imprisoned himself by entering a town with gates and bars.” 8 And Saul called up all his forces for battle, to go down to Keilah to besiege David and his men.

9 When David learned that Saul was plotting against him, he said to Abiathar the priest, “Bring the ephod.” 10 David said, “Lord, God of Israel, your servant has heard definitely that Saul plans to come to Keilah and destroy the town on account of me. 11 Will the citizens of Keilah surrender me to him? Will Saul come down, as your servant has heard? Lord, God of Israel, tell your servant.”

And the Lord said, “He will.”

12 Again David asked, “Will the citizens of Keilah surrender me and my men to Saul?”

And the Lord said, “They will.”

13 So David and his men, about six hundred in number, left Keilah and kept moving from place to place. When Saul was told that David had escaped from Keilah, he did not go there.​

The title comes from the blueletterbible.org commentary.

Saul is in no place to discern the will of God, because he cares nothing for the worship or service of God. Indeed, Abiathar the priest is with David, not Saul, and he has the things of the priesthood with him (an ephod in his hand). But Saul doesn't care about losing the priesthood and the true worship of God. All he cares about is getting David.

The Saul called all the people together for war: For war? Against whom? Against the Philistines? Against the Edomites? Against the Amelekites? Against the Moabites? No, against David, the one who had served Saul faithfully, and the one whom God has anointed and blessed! Saul makes the common mistake of assuming that someone is an enemy of the LORD just because they are our enemy.

David was in a bad place, and he was in a bad place because the LORD led him there. Some might be angry with the LORD, and even give a "I told You this would happen!" to God. Instead, David did the right thing - he inquired of the LORD again!

This is another example of David seeking God through the priest using the Urim and Thummim. Notice how the questions are presented in a "Yes or No" format, because that is how the Urim and Thummim were used.

Here's a pulpit commentary.

It was well nigh a hopeless matter to hunt David as long as he remained on the borders of the desert of Judah, but once shut up in a town his capture was inevitable. When Saul, therefore, heard that David was at Keilah, he said, God hath delivered him into my hand. The Syriac, Chaldee, and Vulgate translate in the same way, probably as the nearest equivalent to the Hebrew, while the Septuagint has a different reading - sold. The Hebrew phrase is a very strong one; literally, "God hath ignored him," hath treated him as a stranger, and so let, him fall "into my hand." Possibly Saul s metaphor was taken from the popular language, and no attempt should be made to get rid of unusual expressions, as if they were false readings. By entering into a town that hath gates and bars. Either the people of a walled town would give up David rather than expose themselves to the horrors of a siege (2 Samuel 20:21, 22), or, if they stood by him, its capture would be a mere matter of time. David, it seems, would have run the risk, but happily was prevented.​

So... David now has 600 men.... he didn't recruit them... they found him.
David and his 600 men went to Keilah.
Apparently this town had walls and gates.
Saul found out David was there and now David is aware that Saul knows where he is.
David doesn't want the town to suffer, after all, Saul had Doeg wipe out Nob looking for David and his men.
David moved away from Keilah and Saul called off the attack.

Saul is crazy... Saul thinks David is the enemy.... Yes or No...

:coffee: