I think we just got a Metrocast internet speed increase

imaref

I have the 150mbps internet package--just ran a speed test and I'm consistently pulling around 200Mbps. Could be just a temporary glitch, or else it's a speed upgrade.

If it is a speed upgrade and you're not seeing it yet, unplug your cable modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back in...

stgislander

PREMO Member
I think it's time to take my Arris modem in for replacement. Constantly dropping out and even affecting my TV quality. Do you use the speed test app bundled in Windows or use an online service?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have the 150mbps internet package--just ran a speed test and I'm consistently pulling around 200Mbps. Could be just a temporary glitch, or else it's a speed upgrade.

If it is a speed upgrade and you're not seeing it yet, unplug your cable modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back in...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try resetting my modem.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have the 150mbps internet package--just ran a speed test and I'm consistently pulling around 200Mbps.

when I had FiOS 35/35 I consistently got over 50 ... now I have 75/75 I get closer to 90 up and down

wubbles

Upload speed doesn't seem to have changed much. As long as they don't start enforcing bandwidth limits I am good to go.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Funny, wonder how many of you that are seeing an increase in speed live in Wildewood. A number of people I know say they aren't getting the bandwidth they paid for, well except the find print says, "Up to X", it doesn't guarantee X. Of course with a bizzilion homes in Wildewood the copper is probably at it's max. Unfortunately that's the problem with cable, single pipe can only handles so much, noise and collisions drop the effective bandwidth because of the retries .
I was this close to signing up, thinking DSL had seen it's day, then I started talking to my neighbors.

wubbles

Funny, wonder how many of you that are seeing an increase in speed live in Wildewood. A number of people I know say they aren't getting the bandwidth they paid for, well except the find print says, "Up to X", it doesn't guarantee X. Of course with a bizzilion homes in Wildewood the copper is probably at it's max. Unfortunately that's the problem with cable, single pipe can only handles so much, noise and collisions drop the effective bandwidth because of the retries .
I was this close to signing up, thinking DSL had seen it's day, then I started talking to my neighbors.

I'm in Dahlia Park and get 205/16 on speedtest.net. I did have to get the copper replaced behind my house and in the hub within the past year because it was corroded to the point I couldn't get a signal.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Ugh... I'm only getting about 36.8 Mbps download with what was the old Metrocast VIP Basic bundle which I think was 50 Mbps.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Not Metrocast.. they didn't do it.. Atlantic Broadband did.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Speed increases from Atlantic Broadband for all levelnof services, residential and Business.. home (Ultra) goes from 100 MBps to 200

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Automatic speed increases will vary based on a customers’ current speed subscription. Residential customers’ changes include:  Access tier download speeds increase from 1.5 Mbps to 10 Mbps  High Speed Express tier download speeds increase from 5 Mbps to 20 Mbps  Turbo tier download speeds increase from 35 Mbps & 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps  Ultra tier download speeds increase from 105 Mbps &150 Mbps to 200 Mbps Business customers’ changes include:  Small business tier download speeds increase from 10 Mbps to 25 Mbps  Performance tier download speeds increase from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps  Advanced tier download speeds increase from 120 Mbps to 200 Mbps  Professional tier download speeds will soon increase from 200 Mbps to 300 Mbps in Berwick/Pocono Pennsylvania , King George and Saluda Virginia locations  Professional tier download speeds will soon increase from 200 Mbps to 500 Mbps in our Sanford Maine, Belmont and Rochester New Hampshire and St. Mary’s Maryland locations

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think it's time to take my Arris modem in for replacement. Constantly dropping out and even affecting my TV quality. Do you use the speed test app bundled in Windows or use an online service?

I bought a new router/modem that the Arris plugs into.. wireless is 10x improved.. i had to keep the Arris for phone, but it's wireless coverage sucked.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I bought a new router/modem that the Arris plugs into.. wireless is 10x improved.. i had to keep the Arris for phone, but it's wireless coverage sucked.

Technician came out yesterday. After taking measurements inside the house, outside the house, and up on the pole, he said my upstream signal strength was too high. Yesterday it was 49.75 dBmV. The modem goes offline at 50 dBmV. He put in a work order for another group to come out and look at the amplifier up on the pole.

imaref

You can easily fix this by reducing the signal strength by getting an attenuator. If you know your signal levels, look on Amazon for "cable modem attenuator". I bought one years ago and have been rock solid ever since... note that they come in different strengths and you can choose between signal reduction or signal increase. For example, if you buy a -3 attenuator, it would reduce signal strength by -3, etc.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ah, that's right, Metrocrap is no more, it's Atlantic Broadband now. I almost forgot. Somebody said that now there was competition for Metrocast.
If I thought that I would get the service advertised I would sign up. But as I was told, it's speeds up to XYZ, They don't guarantee you will always get that throughput.

The problem with cable is it's copper. It's more prone to noise and it's slower than fiber to start with. That means it's like fighting a fire with a straw as compared to the 4 inch hose fiber provides.