Packaging

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why do you suppose the cracker and cereal and whatever people don't use ziploc style resealable bags for their product instead of the interior packaging that doesn't close back up and lets your product get stale?

Snack chip people should do that as well - resealable packaging.

It would only cost a few cents more, which they could easily pass on to the consumer.

black dog

Free America
Why do you suppose the cracker and cereal and whatever people don't use ziploc style resealable bags for their product instead of the interior packaging that doesn't close back up and lets your product get stale?

It would only cost a few cents more, which they could easily pass on to the consumer.

It would involve different packaging machinery along with different packages that now come with 4 sleeves of crackers that with a ziplock will not package easily.
Breakage most likely would be horrible if packed that way.
People will be tolerant of chips being broken, but I don't think they will be happy with saltines and their Capt wafers being broken up being shipped in a soft package.

Toxick

Splat

Money. Of course.
Not just the extra money that it would cost to use the resealable bags - but also they'd lose revenue from the people whose food goes stale and have to buy new #### before they would have if it didn't go stale.

I think every little inconvenience, every little needle, every little abrasive pain in the ass thing that could be easily solved but never is can be traced to money.

You know how when you're pumping gas and they throttle down the last 70 ####ing cents. I'm 100% certain that they do that because people simply write off the change because they don't want to wait. 40 cents here, 60 cents there - probably tens of thousands of dollars a day, if not hundreds of thousands.

You want your food to stay fresh for months? Months? And not have to buy more? #### that!

PeoplesElbow

The resealable bags that shredded cheese comes in suck, they don't completely seal and half the time you can't get the things to line up correctly and get the zipper to actually take hold.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The resealable bags that shredded cheese comes in suck, they don't completely seal and half the time you can't get the things to line up correctly and get the zipper to actually take hold.

The only time I have a problem with them is if it's an off-brand. Apparently a couple of those pennies saved would have normally gone for secure packaging.

Cereal goes into an airtight plastic container, I use it up long before it goes stale. Most everything else gets vacuum sealed. I freeze bread and rolls, then when hard, vacuum seal them. Open cheese last for months after it's sealed. Meat lasts months rather than days. Bags aren't cheap, but it's alot cheaper than throwing everything away.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I prefer to just dump the whole bag of whatever into a Ziplok bag with my favorite closer (double zipper).

That's what I do now, then just stick that bag back in the box. I was simply wondering why the companies don't do that in the first place.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

I suspect there's also a persuasion angle: a bag you can't close may make you want more of it/all of it BEFORE you even get to the realization it'll get stale. It's then a double whammy: "can't close so subliminally I want to keep eating" and "can't close so I better eat it so it doesn't get stale."

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

depending on the size of the bag, sure ...

given the cost of chips today, they should make the change and eat the cost