Don't Round Up the Criminals, Close Stores Early

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
According to the Baltimore Sun, Pugh suggested that, to combat loitering and gang violence, local grocery stories might consider shutting their doors a little earlier.

“What time do you-all close?” the mayor reportedly asked one man at a local shop.

“11:30,” the man replied, according to the Sun.

“Isn’t that late?” the mayor said. “That’s a little late. It keeps the crowds around here. Nine o’clock is nice. We need you-all to close at 9 o’clock at night.”

Pugh went on to tell reporters that she and her team are "on top of" the drug- and gang-driven violence that is plaguing the city, making it one of the most dangerous places to live in the entire United States. Police have boarded up vacant housing and removed abandoned vehicles, and city officials are looking to improve marketing for city services they say will help lift people out of poverty.

Baltimore Mayor Tries To Singlehandedly Solve Crime Wave By Suggesting Stores Close Early

Hijinx

According to the Baltimore Sun, Pugh suggested that, to combat loitering and gang violence, local grocery stories might consider shutting their doors a little earlier.

“What time do you-all close?” the mayor reportedly asked one man at a local shop.

“11:30,” the man replied, according to the Sun.

“Isn’t that late?” the mayor said. “That’s a little late. It keeps the crowds around here. Nine o’clock is nice. We need you-all to close at 9 o’clock at night.”

Pugh went on to tell reporters that she and her team are "on top of" the drug- and gang-driven violence that is plaguing the city, making it one of the most dangerous places to live in the entire United States. Police have boarded up vacant housing and removed abandoned vehicles, and city officials are looking to improve marketing for city services they say will help lift people out of poverty.

Baltimore Mayor Tries To Singlehandedly Solve Crime Wave By Suggesting Stores Close Early

Yeah: They are on top of it alright.

She makes me laugh.

SamSpade

He may have a point, however.

I've worked retail before in my life. Longer hours don't always translate into more profit.
We've been to stores where due to the late hours and the unusual location - a MINIMAL staff is there.
Like - ONE. A prime target, no one is nearby and the cops are too far away to worry about.

Just as we all wonder when we hear some kid getting thumped at 3am in some shady part of town -
our thought is, are you crazy? Why are you out and about at 3am in the middle of the city?
Why is anyone running a shop at 11:30 at night, unless he runs a night club or bar?

Where I've worked before, the place shut down right around the time profits were likely to be negative.
6, 7, 8, 9. Whenever it made more sense.

This_person

"You're open too late - you're causing yourself to be robbed."

"Your car is too nice and you didn't put a Club on it - you caused your car to be stolen."

"Your skirt is too short and your tits are too big - you begged to be raped."

Not buying any of it.