Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: 5:2 diet

  1. #21
    Doris Day meets Lady Gaga Bann's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Prince Frederick
    Posts
    26,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    never got so sick of meal bars and shakes like I did

    Menopause hit me like a truck... now that I am feeling so much better the past month or so...
    I've been doing some form of aerobic/cardio exercise my whole adult life. Dancercise, Jazzercise, etc. I didn't regularly work out after I had kids in my 30's, but I had kids and they kept me active! In 1999, I discovered that I was HYPOthyroid, and was put on synthroid. I had gained about 20lbs more than normal for me, over time. I started doing low-carb. I also quit smoking in July 2000 and to counteract all the repercussions of doing THAT, I started exercising *regularly*. I rode a bicycle 7 miles a day nearly every day after the kids were on the bus. I also started taking another Jazzercise class a couple of times a week. When I moved here in 2005, I was quite fit and trim. Did my own thing of low carbing druing the week and eating whatever else I wanted on the weekends. My weight didn't fluctuate that much. I rarely ate out because I was a single mom with the 2 boys and no "RL" social life except for school events and activities.

    Then when I met more peeps and then started dating, I started going out more (hello, FridayNighters!! :waving:) and eating out more & even "taking out" more. The weight crept up and of course, menopause. I was STILL WORKING OUT 3-5 days a week! Cardio Spin Classes 3X and a cardio weight class 2X. Couldn't EVER lose more than 5 lbs. But I wanted to lose more .

    I was doing the same low carb during the week and what I wanted on the weekends, and using bars, shakes - nothing made a difference. THEN, last March, I decided to quit all the FAKE foods, and started eating everything. I didn't eliminate any food groups. I ate balanced, PORTION controlled meals every day. 3 X a day and 2 snacks. I kept it to about 1200 calories. According to the doctor at my physical in February, I lost 20 lbs! I was only trying to lose "that last 10". But I have also kept it off all the way from last year.

    However, I do eat a lot of grilled chicken and salads for my every day lunch and dinners. On the weekends, I eat other things and just try to eat more fruit and veggies. I also drink a gallon of water every day. MORE when I take Spin class 3X a week.

    For me - it was portion control and REAL food. As near to the original form that you can get. The body processess real food the right way.

    I do still eat the goodies. I just keep them on the FEWER side. I save my calories for the realllly good things. Like margaritas on the weekend.

    This is just my experience - as usual - YMMV.

  2. #22
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    125,840
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I save my calories for the realllly good things.
    Unfortunately, with traveling full time, EVERYTHING is really good.

    Fortunately, it does get old. (The eating, not the traveling.)
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  3. #23
    I won't preach on as a health instructor but I've been in good shape, then bad shape and now I am working on getting back to good shape (in my early 40's). I went from very active in my early 20's to sitting behind a desk to kids in my 30's to the soul crushing darkness of 40 years old and 75# too many. Following a terrible bout of bronchitis and pneumonia that had me panicked to breathe at some points, I committed to improving my health/weight. As I was recovering, I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time with a health coach and came to the realization that taking the weight off would not be fast and it would not be easy. Best I could conclude was that weight loss was simply a product of burning off more calories (metabolism/exercise) than consuming. You simply needed to create a caloric deficit. Quite simply in fact.

    Key is knowing what you're working with and what you're doing. You can find plenty of info on how to determine your resting metabolic rate (what you burn off each day doing what you normally do). This is your baseline. Then you need to track what you do to influence it. For me, it was tracking my food. It's a PITA but an eye opener on what things have in them. You quickly learn to choose better foods or more filling options relative to the calories. IE - you can eat a f&ck ton of salad and veggies for the same calories as pudding cup. You come up with options.

    I then made the investment of a Fitbit (Blaze). This does all kinds of things for me. Heartrate is a big one - especially my resting rate which improves with general health improvement. It also helps me track caloric output during exercise and records this information for reference. It tracks your sleep (and quality) which is eye opening. It records running information via GPS so I can track if my times/paces are improving (I want to run a 5K at the end of the summer). It's a huge tool that I cannot endorse enough for someone getting into the exercise bug.

    All in all, I am down 40 lbs (approx.) from my heaviest but in general, I am much improved. I can definitely tell in my clothes and physique. My strength is greatly improved. My lungs are much happier and my recovery time between high intensity activities is fantastic. Where I was once winded climbing two flights of stairs, I can knock out two miles in under 20 minutes.

    Again, it's calories in vs calories out. Simple as that. Keep track of your progress and set small goals (5lbs or 30 minutes of excercise without stopping, etc). Every success will serve as motivation for the next goal. It's contagious.

  4. #24
    Doris Day meets Lady Gaga Bann's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Prince Frederick
    Posts
    26,698
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Unfortunately, with traveling full time, EVERYTHING is really good.

    Fortunately, it does get old. (The eating, not the traveling.)
    I know, right?! I am gonna have to careful!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by kalmd View Post
    When you fasted every other day, did you stick to 500 calories or less on fast days? I may try this for a bit.

    I did Medifast 8 years ago. It really worked but I don't know how I did it and could never do it again. I lost 90ish pounds in 8 months.

    Yes... I always stayed within 500 calories. I tried not eating on fasting days and just couldn't do it. In fact, when I jumped to Medifast, the weight loss was slow and Medifast is expensive.

    google Alternate-day fasting and you will find all sorts of positive feedback and research on it.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I've been doing some form of aerobic/cardio exercise my whole adult life. Dancercise, Jazzercise, etc. I didn't regularly work out after I had kids in my 30's, but I had kids and they kept me active! In 1999, I discovered that I was HYPOthyroid, and was put on synthroid. I had gained about 20lbs more than normal for me, over time. I started doing low-carb. I also quit smoking in July 2000 and to counteract all the repercussions of doing THAT, I started exercising *regularly*. I rode a bicycle 7 miles a day nearly every day after the kids were on the bus. I also started taking another Jazzercise class a couple of times a week. When I moved here in 2005, I was quite fit and trim. Did my own thing of low carbing druing the week and eating whatever else I wanted on the weekends. My weight didn't fluctuate that much. I rarely ate out because I was a single mom with the 2 boys and no "RL" social life except for school events and activities.

    Then when I met more peeps and then started dating, I started going out more (hello, FridayNighters!! :waving:) and eating out more & even "taking out" more. The weight crept up and of course, menopause. I was STILL WORKING OUT 3-5 days a week! Cardio Spin Classes 3X and a cardio weight class 2X. Couldn't EVER lose more than 5 lbs. But I wanted to lose more .

    I was doing the same low carb during the week and what I wanted on the weekends, and using bars, shakes - nothing made a difference. THEN, last March, I decided to quit all the FAKE foods, and started eating everything. I didn't eliminate any food groups. I ate balanced, PORTION controlled meals every day. 3 X a day and 2 snacks. I kept it to about 1200 calories. According to the doctor at my physical in February, I lost 20 lbs! I was only trying to lose "that last 10". But I have also kept it off all the way from last year.

    However, I do eat a lot of grilled chicken and salads for my every day lunch and dinners. On the weekends, I eat other things and just try to eat more fruit and veggies. I also drink a gallon of water every day. MORE when I take Spin class 3X a week.

    For me - it was portion control and REAL food. As near to the original form that you can get. The body processess real food the right way.

    I do still eat the goodies. I just keep them on the FEWER side. I save my calories for the realllly good things. Like margaritas on the weekend.

    This is just my experience - as usual - YMMV.
    Excellent

    I had a gym membership close to my house. All these meatballs on sticks are grunting loudly while dead lifting weights slapping each other high 5's. They all seemed to work out their arms but never their legs. It was every single night and distracting. Finally I asked when older, ummm, people like me go and they said before 9 a.m. really? I didn't renew.

    I did a drive-by at Planet Fitness and that looked to be a mixed age range so I am considering that. If anyone is a member in California, I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. *hint hint*

    Also thanks for the recipe - I am so gonna make it this weekend.
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  7. #27
    BTW kalmd,

    I dropped 35 lbs. on Alternate-day fasting fairly quickly, like 2 months and another 15-20 on Medifast but that took like 6 months. What was crazy is I was running something like 20-25 miles per week with that slow weight loss & using a Total Gym. I would have been better off at that time transitioning to the 4 hour body way of eating. I tore a calf muscle, grade 3 and had some ligament damage in my ankle after a fall in my garden... My fricken garden.

    I think we are so hard on ourselves when we have a set back and I am no exception. I let that ankle injury end my progress about 3 years ago. Now I have to get back to where I was and that isn't easy at my age to start over.

    I also sit on my ass all day at the office
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

  8. #28
    Doris Day meets Lady Gaga Bann's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Prince Frederick
    Posts
    26,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Excellent

    I had a gym membership close to my house. All these meatballs on sticks are grunting loudly while dead lifting weights slapping each other high 5's. They all seemed to work out their arms but never their legs. It was every single night and distracting. Finally I asked when older, ummm, people like me go and they said before 9 a.m. really? I didn't renew.

    I did a drive-by at Planet Fitness and that looked to be a mixed age range so I am considering that. If anyone is a member in California, I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. *hint hint*

    Also thanks for the recipe - I am so gonna make it this weekend.
    It's a great recipe!
    Power walking is very good cardio, if you don't want to go to the gym! Also, I forgot to mention that I started taking Yoga about 2-1/2 years ago. I LOVE Yoga! It's one of the best things I've every done and I wish I'd started it yearssssss ago! I'm not into the new age, incense burning and chanting Yoga. Just regular Yoga - bearing your own body weight, stretching and a very calm, relaxing 1 hour is what I do. I don't go to the gym to workout, except for the Spin Class I take. They turn the lights down and you don't have to look at or talk to anyone if you don't wanna. (and I don't wanna at 0' dark thirty!) I take Yoga someplace different than the gym, also.

    In order to add variation to the workouts I do, we started going on day hikes on local trails in Calvert. Or we drive to a trail somewhere up the road - there are parks scattered all over that have mountainous trails. Especially on the Applachian Trail. It's really great exercise and we go on a Sunday when we can be gone about 4 or 5 hours. Then we have a late lunch or early dinner. It's a great way to kick your routine up a bit. (y)

    Good luck!

  9. #29
    Registered User kalmd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Excellent

    I had a gym membership close to my house. All these meatballs on sticks are grunting loudly while dead lifting weights slapping each other high 5's. They all seemed to work out their arms but never their legs. It was every single night and distracting. Finally I asked when older, ummm, people like me go and they said before 9 a.m. really? I didn't renew.

    I did a drive-by at Planet Fitness and that looked to be a mixed age range so I am considering that. If anyone is a member in California, I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. *hint hint*

    Also thanks for the recipe - I am so gonna make it this weekend.
    Hubby and I go to PF in California (I'm 45, he's 51 - he's much more in shape than I am :) ). We've been going since they opened in January. It really is a mixture of people who go there. There are some of the gym rats but also older and more out of shape people. My hubby's friend, who is a wanna-be personal trainer, went with him and brought a gallon water jug. The staff told him he couldn't bring it anymore. He also got scolded for dropping weights. The staff does enforce their no gym intimidation policy. They try to make it so the everyday person is comfortable there. You can always sign up for the $10 per month and quit before the annual fee if you wanna try it out.
    Daily Thought: Some people are like slinkies--not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

  10. #30
    Registered User kalmd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Yes... I always stayed within 500 calories. I tried not eating on fasting days and just couldn't do it. In fact, when I jumped to Medifast, the weight loss was slow and Medifast is expensive.

    google Alternate-day fasting and you will find all sorts of positive feedback and research on it.
    Medifast worked great for me, but like you said it is expensive and I dont' I have the willpower to try it again. Right now I'm doing keto/lo-carb hybrid. It's been about 7 weeks and I've lost 21 pounds.
    Daily Thought: Some people are like slinkies--not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Members who have read this thread: 77

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |