Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5:2 diet

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why I eat things that I know I'm going to regret later. Yesterday we went down to the Pier and I thought I need an ice cream cone. There are not one but two of those crazy milkshake places where they're filled with all kinds of stuff and look like art. So we go into one of them and instead of my cone I got a waffle sundae with two scoops and some goober on top. It was ridiculous and not worth the calories or sugar crash, but I ate it anyway. Kind of like how I know that drinking three beers will make me sick the next day, but I do it anyway. But at least I really enjoy the beers - the ice cream not so much. The first two bites were delicious, and it went downhill from there.

Fortunately today is a fasting day so I can detox from that terrible sundae.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    So I just had the most amazing canned soup. Campbell's Home Style Light Chicken Noodle. I gave it a splash of rice vinegar and a small drizzle of Chinese hot oil, and it was not only quite tasty but I can eat the whole can for 150 cals. It was surprisingly hearty and filling, so I'ma make it my go-to on fasting days.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I have a recipe that is a hybrid of Vrai's and my sister's for a Sausage Lentil Soup. It is AWWWWWESOME!

Chorizo will be really good with it!

Sausage Lentil Soup

1 lb-ish of hot Italian sausage 1 tsp. salt
    1 small onion, chopped 2 tsp. black pepper
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped 1 tsp cayenne
    2 carrots, chopped 2 tsp oregano
    2 stalks of celery, chopped 2 tsp basil
    3 cans of chicken broth 2 tsp thyme
    2 cans of diced tomatoes OR 1 Tbsp parsley
    substitute 1 can Rotel
    2 cups dried lentils

Squeeze the sausage out of its casing (if it's links), brown and chop in decent sized chunks, but not too big. Drain the fat if there's a lot, otherwise a little fat never hurt anyone. Then dump everything else in the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Serve this with a really good whole grain bakery bread. (Giant bakery, Safeway bakery, etc)
    I made this using 1/2 can of Rotel and not including the carrots (not slow carb friendly) and it is fantastic. :yummy:

I am a little surprised that by low/slow carbing I have dropped 6 lbs. in 10 days even after my 1st cheat day. And, on my cheat day, I ate absolute garbage. I loved it!!

My husband and I went to Harris Teeter for the 1st time and found organic red lentils. It is normal for these to completely dissolve?
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

Blog Entries
    What happens, strangely enough, when you do two 500 calorie days a week is you lose your appetite. Today I had a bowl of soup at 10am, then at 5 I was hungry so I had three slices of deli ham wrapped around pickle slices. Before bed I'll have a couple of seed crackers so my stomach isn't empty, and that will be enough for the day. Not that I won't hit up the taco place on Friday - I definitely will - but it's not something that's consuming me like it did the first week.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Back in the 80's, I used to do something more drastic - starve for a week - and then eat for a week.
    I actually lost an enormous amount of weight, not the least reason being that I worked outside all summer in the heat.
    At my lowest I was around 169, which is extremely thin for my height and size. Looking at pictures of myself - it's scary.

I'm convinced that that was very unhealthy and at the time, I just liked the results.
    The downside was, I typically was constipated the entire fasting week - until it ended.
    Then I had what I called the monster #### - a very unpleasant experience.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    What happens, strangely enough, when you do two 500 calorie days a week is you lose your appetite. .
    In my previous post - yeah, noticed that. A day or so, hungry. After that, really didn't care much. It was easier to keep going once I started so long as I had fluids and SOME calories.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I've seen a noticeable difference in the few weeks since I started this. It seems to be a good kickstart to better eating and portion control in general. Interesting article about where fat goes when you lose it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ere-does-it-go

TLDR: You exhale it.

Yes, we exhale lost fat. There it helps plants photosynthesize (if you're feeling noble) and contributes to global warming (if you're feeling guilty).
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    I've lost an effortless pants size. The commitment to 2 days a week is easy and I actually find myself looking forward to it. Going a full month, or week, or few minutes, restricting calories and watching other people eat just isn't something I'm going to stick to. I know people who almost never eat anything other than salads and grilled chicken to keep trim, but I'm not going to do that. I want a steak and I want tacos and I want corn on the cob and I want pizza, and I want it more than one day a week and I don't want to feel guilty about it.

Fasting days feel good, and I'm thinking about adding another one. Like, if I went Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I probably won't do that because I'm seeing the results I want with just Monday and Thursday.

I hate to say it after the way I've busted on canned soup in the past, but Campbell's Light soups were born for fasting days. They're vile on their own but with a splash of rice vinegar and a drizzle of hot oil, they are quite tasty. You can indeed get full on 200 calories, but that's not why most of us eat anyway - to get full. We eat because it tastes good and gives us pleasure, which is where steak and pizza come into play.
    Last edited by vraiblonde; 05-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I've lost an effortless pants size. The commitment to 2 days a week is easy and I actually find myself looking forward to it. Going a full month, or week, or few minutes, restricting calories and watching other people eat just isn't something I'm going to stick to. I know people who almost never eat anything other than salads and grilled chicken to keep trim, but I'm not going to do that. I want a steak and I want tacos and I want corn on the cob and I want pizza, and I want it more than one day a week and I don't want to feel guilty about it.
    Like me?!

I definitely do eat a lot of salads and grilled chicken at lunches and dinners, as my "go to" meals most of the time, but I really like them, too.

Ever since I started not eliminating food groups, I have felt better, and I don't really eat that many calories a day, because I'm full faster and it lasts longer. I make room for other foods, too, though. Like on our vacation to see you guys - I ate out way more than I normally do - but the foods I chose were not foods that caused me to overeat and then feel miserably full. (because of my way of eating now, I just DON'T eat as much food anymore.)

We even made room for a frozen yogurt, ice cream or cupcake or two. (Or margarita or 3! ) The scales only tipped about 2-3 lbs when I got back, which is probably water weight. Even if it isn't - a few pounds was totally worth having those Brisket Tacos at Muy Wayne-o's or the Grapefruit Margaritas at Sharkey's. And the pizza by the slice we tried in 3 places, and the slice of Cherry-0 cream cheese pie Foxhound's mom made him...

Fasting days feel good, and I'm thinking about adding another one. Like, if I went Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I probably won't do that because I'm seeing the results I want with just Monday and Thursday.

I hate to say it after the way I've busted on canned soup in the past, but Campbell's Light soups were born for fasting days. They're vile on their own but with a splash of rice vinegar and a drizzle of hot oil, they are quite tasty. You can indeed get full on 200 calories, but that's not why most of us eat anyway - to get full. We eat because it tastes good and gives us pleasure, which is where steak and pizza come into play.
    Conga-rats on losing another pant size!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Like me?!
    I was thinking about someone else, but yeah, you too.

And while I admire your svelte figure, I admire a grilled ribeye and corn on the cob more.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 40