5:2 diet

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
New fad. Eat normally for five days, then fast (500 calorie max) for two non-consecutive days. They recommend fasting on Monday and Thursday.

I'm always up for a good diet fad :jet:. Cutting carbs way down works well for me so I'll still do that on normal eating days. Today is my first fasting day and so far so good. I had two HB eggs for breakfast, another one just a few minutes ago, then I'll have a lettuce salad with tuna for dinner later.

I thought I'd be starving but I'm not. I think eating protein for my calories helps because it stays with you longer. I do feel tired but it's not awful and I don't have anything planned today anyway.

Anyone else do this?

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is just another form of intermittent fasting. I'm not sure how they come up with 5:2. It doesn't sound like something you could do the rest of your life. Fasting has 2 primary, but not necessarily connected, purposes. One is a spiritual reason. The other is mimicking how our ancient ancestors (Neanderthals) ate. Their primary food source was meat. But, when cold season came along they would eat more grains, fruits and nuts to fatten up for winter when food would be scarce. It's viewed today as a healthy lifestyle of eating in believing they never suffered from diseases like cancer, brain disorders, mental disorders... Researchers believe being in a state of ketosis is what our bodies have been genetically coded to be in.

If this is your goal, I'll be curious to hear how you feel - mentally and physically - after doing it for a couple of months. I tried the keto thing, but it didn't work for working out. Ketones just don't provide enough energy for weight lifting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It doesn't sound like something you could do the rest of your life.

You could but you'd have to plan for it and make the most of your 500 calories. You're not going to run a marathon on a fasting day or anything.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Day 1 fasting went well. I wasn't starving and I didn't wake up starving this morning. I had a cracker before I went to bed so I'd have something in my stomach and wouldn't get the acid.

This morning I felt lighter and my tummy was noticeably flatter, so if nothing else it's an excellent emergency de-bloater. Twice a week shouldn't be difficult but for Monday, my next fasting day, I'll plan my food better. Bann and FH will be here on Thursday and she's going to need a margarita on the beach :jet: so I'll either skip companion drinking or just fast on Friday instead.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today is a fasting day and I was actually looking forward to it. There are several healthy-ish frozen meal options that are in the 200+- calorie range, so I got a couple of those. Also frozen veggies in light sauce are huge amount of food for very few calories. Cucumbers with vinegar dressing are made for fasting days. Eggs are still my protein standby, though.

Over the weekend I had beers on BOTH Saturday and Sunday, which rarely happens, and we hit Muy Wayne-O for tacos. Plus I ate a burger and fries at the marina yesterday. But I know that today will hit the reset button and tomorrow I'll feel fantastic.

:yahoo:

Toxick

Splat
New fad. Eat normally for five days, then fast (500 calorie max) for two non-consecutive days.

Anyone else do this?

I would kill myself after 2 weeks.
Or find another diet.

Yeah - I'd probably just find another diet.

But if I was forced to do the 5:2 thing, I'd probably kill myself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would kill myself after 2 weeks.
Or find another diet.

Yeah - I'd probably just find another diet.

But if I was forced to do the 5:2 thing, I'd probably kill myself.

I'm finding it surprisingly easy. I like to eat, man, and I thought I'd be chewing my nails just for sustenance by the end of the day, but nope.

I had to go to the store today and thought in my so far 300 calorie state I'd dive face first into the baked goods and fried chicken, but it's like they weren't even there. Like when you smell a particularly wonderful perfume but don't necessarily want to bite the woman's neck.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Today is a fasting day and I was actually looking forward to it. There are several healthy-ish frozen meal options that are in the 200+- calorie range, so I got a couple of those. Also frozen veggies in light sauce are huge amount of food for very few calories. Cucumbers with vinegar dressing are made for fasting days. Eggs are still my protein standby, though.

Over the weekend I had beers on BOTH Saturday and Sunday, which rarely happens, and we hit Muy Wayne-O for tacos. Plus I ate a burger and fries at the marina yesterday. But I know that today will hit the reset button and tomorrow I'll feel fantastic.

:yahoo:

I hope they have a fajita salad! :wink:

But I could eat tacos with my Margaritas. :yay:

My new favorite Margarita is like a grapefruit crush - only with Tequila. It's very light and refreshing - not overly sweet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hope they have a fajita salad! :wink:

But I could eat tacos with my Margaritas. :yay:

My new favorite Margarita is like a grapefruit crush - only with Tequila. It's very light and refreshing - not overly sweet.

Here's their menu:

Page 1 http://www.muywayneos.com/images/menu.jpg

Page 2 http://www.muywayneos.com/images/menu2.jpg

Click and they'll enlarge a bit.

No fajita salad on the menu but they're a mom & pop with Mom and Pop there all the time, so I'll bet they'd make you one.

Read the description of the Sloppy Vegan at the bottom of page 1. :lol:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
New fad. Eat normally for five days, then fast (500 calorie max) for two non-consecutive days. They recommend fasting on Monday and Thursday.

I'm always up for a good diet fad :jet:. Cutting carbs way down works well for me so I'll still do that on normal eating days. Today is my first fasting day and so far so good. I had two HB eggs for breakfast, another one just a few minutes ago, then I'll have a lettuce salad with tuna for dinner later.

I thought I'd be starving but I'm not. I think eating protein for my calories helps because it stays with you longer. I do feel tired but it's not awful and I don't have anything planned today anyway.

Anyone else do this?

Intermittent fasting.... I did it for 5 months and lost a considerable amount of weight (like 40-50 lbs) but did every other day until I hit my goal weight.... after that I went on Medifast and never got so sick of meal bars and shakes like I did on that.... in fact, 3-4 years later the thought makes me wanna :barf:

Menopause hit me like a truck... now that I am feeling so much better the past month or so... and appear to be done with that phase of wanting to be left alone with a remote in one hand watching sci fi movies and a bag of Cheetos in the other... I feel more motivated. I am now a week in on a new fad or rather an old fad because the concept is so 2010 called the 4 hour diet. I don't know why it is called the 4 hour diet but it is low carb/slow carb eating for 6 days and eat whatever you want on the 7th day. YouTube has a bunch of stuff about the 4 hour body/diet.

I just ordered some kettlebells yesterday and will give that a go also.

I did notice this past weekend I had energy and that has been very much missed for well over a year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
fter that I went on Medifast and never got so sick of meal bars and shakes like I did on that

I need real food. Shakes and bars get old REAL fast.

Yesterday I had a Healthy Choice turkey & veggies dinner for breakfast; for lunch I made a can of low cal soup and added broccoli & cauliflower; and before I went to bed I had two eggs with bacon bits. Slightly over 500 calories total.

I can eat canned soup and frozen dinners twice a week but any more than that and I would raid the nearest KFC and wallow in a bucket of extra-crispy. It's always amazing to me how unappealing canned soup is. When I was a kid I loved Campbell's chicken noodle; now it is teetering on the edge of vile.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Lentil soup... made some this past weekend and have been snacking on it. I just followed the back of the bag on how to cook it.

This weekend, I am going to make this..

https://www.skinnytaste.com/lentil-salad/

I have been using green lentils but want to find the red ones; think this weekend I will venture beyond Food Lion.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Chorizo and sauerkraut for lunch - under 200 calories.

I am also going to try and cook lentils with Chorizos because I think the flavors together will be fantastic.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lentil soup... made some this past weekend and have been snacking on it. I just followed the back of the bag on how to cook it.

This weekend, I am going to make this..

https://www.skinnytaste.com/lentil-salad/

I have been using green lentils but want to find the red ones; think this weekend I will venture beyond Food Lion.

Giant has red lentils.

And MUCH more satisfying than some damn shake. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I am also going to try and cook lentils with Chorizos because I think the flavors together will be fantastic.

I have a recipe that is a hybrid of Vrai's and my sister's for a Sausage Lentil Soup. It is AWWWWWESOME!

Chorizo will be really good with it!

Sausage Lentil Soup

1 lb-ish of hot Italian sausage 1 tsp. salt
1 small onion, chopped 2 tsp. black pepper
3 cloves of garlic, chopped 1 tsp cayenne
2 carrots, chopped 2 tsp oregano
2 stalks of celery, chopped 2 tsp basil
3 cans of chicken broth 2 tsp thyme
2 cans of diced tomatoes OR 1 Tbsp parsley
substitute 1 can Rotel
2 cups dried lentils

Squeeze the sausage out of its casing (if it's links), brown and chop in decent sized chunks, but not too big. Drain the fat if there's a lot, otherwise a little fat never hurt anyone. Then dump everything else in the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Serve this with a really good whole grain bakery bread. (Giant bakery, Safeway bakery, etc)

kalmd

Intermittent fasting.... I did it for 5 months and lost a considerable amount of weight (like 40-50 lbs) but did every other day until I hit my goal weight.... after that I went on Medifast and never got so sick of meal bars and shakes like I did on that.... in fact, 3-4 years later the thought makes me wanna :barf:

Menopause hit me like a truck... now that I am feeling so much better the past month or so... and appear to be done with that phase of wanting to be left alone with a remote in one hand watching sci fi movies and a bag of Cheetos in the other... I feel more motivated. I am now a week in on a new fad or rather an old fad because the concept is so 2010 called the 4 hour diet. I don't know why it is called the 4 hour diet but it is low carb/slow carb eating for 6 days and eat whatever you want on the 7th day. YouTube has a bunch of stuff about the 4 hour body/diet.

I just ordered some kettlebells yesterday and will give that a go also.

I did notice this past weekend I had energy and that has been very much missed for well over a year.

When you fasted every other day, did you stick to 500 calories or less on fast days? I may try this for a bit.

I did Medifast 8 years ago. It really worked but I don't know how I did it and could never do it again. I lost 90ish pounds in 8 months.