Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5:2 diet

Blog Entries

5:2 diet

New fad. Eat normally for five days, then fast (500 calorie max) for two non-consecutive days. They recommend fasting on Monday and Thursday.

I'm always up for a good diet fad . Cutting carbs way down works well for me so I'll still do that on normal eating days. Today is my first fasting day and so far so good. I had two HB eggs for breakfast, another one just a few minutes ago, then I'll have a lettuce salad with tuna for dinner later.

I thought I'd be starving but I'm not. I think eating protein for my calories helps because it stays with you longer. I do feel tired but it's not awful and I don't have anything planned today anyway.

Anyone else do this?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

This is just another form of intermittent fasting. I'm not sure how they come up with 5:2. It doesn't sound like something you could do the rest of your life. Fasting has 2 primary, but not necessarily connected, purposes. One is a spiritual reason. The other is mimicking how our ancient ancestors (Neanderthals) ate. Their primary food source was meat. But, when cold season came along they would eat more grains, fruits and nuts to fatten up for winter when food would be scarce. It's viewed today as a healthy lifestyle of eating in believing they never suffered from diseases like cancer, brain disorders, mental disorders... Researchers believe being in a state of ketosis is what our bodies have been genetically coded to be in.

If this is your goal, I'll be curious to hear how you feel - mentally and physically - after doing it for a couple of months. I tried the keto thing, but it didn't work for working out. Ketones just don't provide enough energy for weight lifting.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    It doesn't sound like something you could do the rest of your life.
    You could but you'd have to plan for it and make the most of your 500 calories. You're not going to run a marathon on a fasting day or anything.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You could but you'd have to plan for it and make the most of your 500 calories. You're not going to run a marathon on a fasting day or anything.
    I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Blog Entries
    Day 1 fasting went well. I wasn't starving and I didn't wake up starving this morning. I had a cracker before I went to bed so I'd have something in my stomach and wouldn't get the acid.

This morning I felt lighter and my tummy was noticeably flatter, so if nothing else it's an excellent emergency de-bloater. Twice a week shouldn't be difficult but for Monday, my next fasting day, I'll plan my food better. Bann and FH will be here on Thursday and she's going to need a margarita on the beach so I'll either skip companion drinking or just fast on Friday instead.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Today is a fasting day and I was actually looking forward to it. There are several healthy-ish frozen meal options that are in the 200+- calorie range, so I got a couple of those. Also frozen veggies in light sauce are huge amount of food for very few calories. Cucumbers with vinegar dressing are made for fasting days. Eggs are still my protein standby, though.

Over the weekend I had beers on BOTH Saturday and Sunday, which rarely happens, and we hit Muy Wayne-O for tacos. Plus I ate a burger and fries at the marina yesterday. But I know that today will hit the reset button and tomorrow I'll feel fantastic.

~Eldridge Cleaver

New fad. Eat normally for five days, then fast (500 calorie max) for two non-consecutive days.

Anyone else do this?

I would kill myself after 2 weeks.
    Or find another diet.

Yeah - I'd probably just find another diet.

But if I was forced to do the 5:2 thing, I'd probably kill myself.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    I would kill myself after 2 weeks.
    Or find another diet.

Yeah - I'd probably just find another diet.

But if I was forced to do the 5:2 thing, I'd probably kill myself.
    I'm finding it surprisingly easy. I like to eat, man, and I thought I'd be chewing my nails just for sustenance by the end of the day, but nope.

I had to go to the store today and thought in my so far 300 calorie state I'd dive face first into the baked goods and fried chicken, but it's like they weren't even there. Like when you smell a particularly wonderful perfume but don't necessarily want to bite the woman's neck.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Like when you smell a particularly wonderful perfume but don't necessarily want to bite the woman's neck.

Speak for yourself.
    --
    Well, it's been in your mouth for like, three hours. It feels like it's full of water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxick View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 77