Medicine Prices

I've been listening over the years about how high med prices are, but it really didn't hit home until this morning. I had to pick up2 scripts. I knew I had a $0 deductible, but was floored when there was no cost. At all. These same meds usually cost me about $30 each, which I really didn't mind and really didn't even stop to think about.

I asked what the meds would cost if I had no plan. One was $80, the other...... $500. Five.Hundred.dollars. for 90 days. And this was a GENERIC, not even name brand. How in the hell does anyone without insurance deal with the cost?

I feel fortunate that I have a plan which covers well, and I pay very little, comparatively, to others. I suspect this will all change for the worse when I hit 65 and have to use Medicare plus a supplemental.

dan0623_2000

I had one that my insurance would not cover and it would have been $949 fr a 90 day supply. Thank god their was another that is almost as good and my insurance covers all but $115 per 90 day supply

Clem72

I asked what the meds would cost if I had no plan. One was $80, the other...... $500. Five.Hundred.dollars. for 90 days. And this was a GENERIC, not even name brand. How in the hell does anyone without insurance deal with the cost?

Generics are still made by the same pharmaceutical companies, and just because there is an approved generic formulation doesn't mean multiple companies are making it. And in many instances the original patented formulation is no longer produced, so that "generic" is the de-facto standard and ends up costing as much or more than the original.

But in any case, those are MSRP numbers and there are lots of ways of reducing them. Shopping around (for instance, walmart will probably charge less for the same generic sans insurance). Get a prescription med club card (usually 50+ % discounts). Or even better, call the company and tell them you don't have insurance, the pharmacist should have a pamphlet with an 800 number.

VERY often they will give you a code or mail you a card that gives you the medication at or below the normal co-pay cost. They do this because they can write off the full MSRP minus your cost and still come out well ahead of you switching to another med or not buying anything at all (plus it makes them look good when they can say they gave away umpteen million dollars worth of medicine).

dintery

I've found that Walmart and Costco have the best prices on medications. Just make sure to ask for the cash price and do not use insurance. If there is no generic version of your medication available, there are some websites out there (e.g. Goodrx) that will let you enter your prescription and try and find you a coupon code.

Bonehead

I've been listening over the years about how high med prices are, but it really didn't hit home until this morning. I had to pick up2 scripts. I knew I had a $0 deductible, but was floored when there was no cost. At all. These same meds usually cost me about $30 each, which I really didn't mind and really didn't even stop to think about.

I feel fortunate that I have a plan which covers well, and I pay very little, comparatively, to others. I suspect this will all change for the worse when I hit 65 and have to use Medicare plus a supplemental.

That has not been my experience GW so far...but that is just my situation

stgislander

PREMO Member
You know something's wrong when your physician recommends an online Canadian pharmacy to you.