Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Broadband already screwing us over

Atlantic Broadband already screwing us over

So with the change in ownership they have instituted a new policy, auto-pay will get you a $10 discount on the full rate.

But if you were a Metrocast customer this is not available to you. I understand why you wouldn't get the 1 year promotional pricing for their packages, but not why you would be blocked from the auto-pay discount.

I would very much like to cancel my service with them, but I literally have no other high speed options (too far away from the DSLAM for DSL, no OTA service from Peak Broadband (or anyone else I am aware of).

And of course satellite options are still crappy. Perhaps one of the new low earth orbit satellite internet providers will be worthwhile (or google if they ever launch their balloons in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    So with the change in ownership they have instituted a new policy, auto-pay will get you a $10 discount on the full rate.

But if you were a Metrocast customer this is not available to you. I understand why you wouldn't get the 1 year promotional pricing for their packages, but not why you would be blocked from the auto-pay discount.

I would very much like to cancel my service with them, but I literally have no other high speed options (too far away from the DSLAM for DSL, no OTA service from Peak Broadband (or anyone else I am aware of).

And of course satellite options are still crappy. Perhaps one of the new low earth orbit satellite internet providers will be worthwhile (or google if they ever launch their balloons in the US).
    I've been watching an outfit called ViaSat, waiting for it to become available here. Looking forward to getting rid of the DSL and associated land line (can't cancel land line without canceling DSL, Verizon policy).

www.viasatspecials.com/

If you enter a zip code from Virginia, you can get an idea on plans and rates.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Not exactly competative. $75/mo for 25mbit and $10 mandatory equipment rental. Plus this is in GEO orbit so pings will not be usable for gaming (or video chat).

Better off waiting for one of the new products from SpaceXBoeing/OneWeb/Google. 5 years from now there will be some good competition and we should start to see price reductions.

But AtlanticBB is still a POS company with policies that penalize old customers (forever).

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Not exactly competative. $75/mo for 25mbit and $10 mandatory equipment rental. Plus this is in GEO orbit so pings will not be usable for gaming (or video chat).

Better off waiting for one of the new products from SpaceXBoeing/OneWeb/Google. 5 years from now there will be some good competition and we should start to see price reductions.

But AtlanticBB is still a POS company with policies that penalize old customers (forever).
    Nothing else is going to be competitive, unfortunately. PeakeNet is another local ISP but uses LoS arrays so latency is likely an issue there as well. It's not cheap either. 50up/50down = $65.99/month; 100/100 is $95.99/month (plus a $150 install fee).

https://www.peakenetbroadband.com/

I agree that it's silly they won't let you do that. I assume you've called and asked about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

My DSL/phone costs me $70/mo for less than 1Mb service. I can trade up to 45Mb/s for $65/m ($45 for 3 months). To me, that's like trading in a Kia and getting an STS for less money per month. I don't video chat or game, so ping/delay time isn't important. Why wait 5 years for tech that may or may not come to fruition? I upgrade now, if something better comes along, I'll upgrade again.

No brainer.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

I'll be happy as long as they don't require me to go on a contract, get a bundle, or data cap me. For how much I use the internet I don't mind paying ~$80/mo as long as I don't get forced into anything. With all the horror stories I see about Comcast across the bridge, at least Atlantic is using lube when they pound me from behind and also give me the courtesy of a reacharound.

I have a feeling that this "gracious speed increase" will end up costing us when they get their billing system in place. Expect a payment increase in the near future. NOTHING IS FREE!!
    I am not a PREMO member and therefore, am not afforded the protections of such.

Blog Entries
    I had DirecTV when I lived in the apartment and I was very happy with it. Not sure why people say it's no good.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I had DirecTV when I lived in the apartment and I was very happy with it. Not sure why people say it's no good.
    DSLs quality varies greatly depending on your distance to the local switching node. I had great DSL when I lived on Cabot Place in Patuxent homes, where the local switching station was two blocks over next to the skate park. When I moved onto Chancellors, that was too far away.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Did you get Internet through DirecTV?

FAKE NEWS - noun /feɪk ˈnuːz/ - Real and actual facts that Donald Trump does not like​

Members who have read this thread: 144