1 Samuel 28 What now?

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 28:1 In those days the Philistines gathered their forces to fight against Israel. Achish said to David, “You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army.”

2 David said, “Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do.”

Achish replied, “Very well, I will make you my bodyguard for life.”​

This is actually the finish of the story in Chapter 27. It's not a "they all lived happily ever after" finish. David is with the Philistines... he's included in the troops that are gathering to fight against Israel.

The reason David is among the Philistines as they gather to fight against Israel is simple. He's hiding from king Saul. King Saul is the pretty boy from a good family that God first anointed. The Israelites wanted to be like everyone else. They wanted a king... not a judge or a theocracy. So God had Samuel to anoint Saul to be king of Israel. All Saul had to do was listen to God and everything would be just fine.... but Saul couldn't or wouldn't do it. He was sure he [Saul, king of the Israelites] knew best. Then God left Saul and since then... Saul has been insane.

Now when Saul decided he knew more than God himself.... God decided Saul didn't need to be king over God's Chosen people. So God had Samuel anoint David to be the next king of Israel. David had been faithful. There was a giant Philistine talking trash about God and the Israelites and David just couldn't abide by anyone talking trash about God. So David went through the proper channels and finally got to use his slingshot against Goliath.

Meanwhile... prettyboy king Saul started to go insane and focused his rage and insanity on David. Everyone loved David... even the kings son Jonathan had a pact with David. Even Jonathan wanted David to be king of Israel. But with Saul on his butt.... David had to leave. David could have stayed in his homeland. He could have killed Saul twice so far... once in a cave while Saul was relieving himself and again while Saul slept surrounded by 3000 well trained troops. So the safest place for David to hide from prettyboy king Saul was with the enemy.

Now Achish has been happy to have David "fighting with" him. Achish thinks that David has renounced Israel. Meanwhile, David and his 600 men had been attacking Israel's enemies while Aschish thought David was fighting for the Philistines. It seems that David is duping both kings. Everything was working... but now Achish wants to attack Israel. David can't do that.... David will not do that... will he?

Achish isn't sure either. Achish said to David.... “You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army." I think this could be either a statement of foolishness by Achish [because David would never fight Israel... he did slay Goliath for trash talking God and Israel] or Achish stating fact [if David and his men didn't fight with Achish against Israel then Achish would have them killed].

David didn't exactly lie.... he said “Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do.” To me that says "We'll see" but apparently Achish thought David was saying he was loyal. Achish was so stupid... he made David a bodyguard for life.... Wow... the next anointed king of Israel has earned the title of bodyguard to a Philistinian king..... wow....

This is from GodVine.com.

The Philistines gathered their armies together - Sir Isaac Newton conjectures that the Philistines had got a great increase to their armies by vast numbers of men which Amasis had driven out of Egypt. This, with Samuel's death, and David's disgrace, were no inconsiderable motives to a new war, front which the Philistines had now every thing to hope.

David dissembled, hoping, no doubt, that something would happen to prevent his fighting against his king and country.​

David's in a tough spot.... we know he can't fight against Saul and the Israelites.

:coffee: