Maybe we should arm teachers?

transporter

Christ they can't be any more incompetent that these other "good guys with guns"...can they??? Of course, when the utterly predictable death occurs...all the gun nutters will just claim we need MORE guns in schools...because...well more guns is the answer to every problem...right?

They are the “good guys with guns” the National Rifle Association says are needed to protect students from shooters: a school police officer, a teacher who moonlights in law enforcement, a veteran sheriff.

Yet in a span of 48 hours in March, the three were responsible for gun safety lapses that put students in danger.

The school police officer accidentally fired his gun in his Virginia office, sending a bullet through a wall into a middle school classroom. The teacher was demonstrating firearm safety in California when he mistakenly put a round in the ceiling, injuring three students who were hit by falling debris. And the sheriff left a loaded service weapon in a locker room at a Michigan middle school, where a sixth-grader found it.

All told, an Associated Press review of news reports collected by the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive revealed more than 30 publicly reported mishaps since 2014 involving firearms brought onto school grounds by law enforcement officers or educators. Guns went off by mistake, were fired by curious or unruly students, and were left unattended in bathrooms and other locations.

https://www.apnews.com/08659d568d74...hows-consequences-of-arming-adults-in-schools

go read the rest...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... all the gun nutters will just claim we need MORE guns in schools .. because ... well more guns is the answer to every problem...right?

Oh BOY an unbiased AP Article ...

350 million guns in this country didn't kill anyone today

SamSpade

There's two ways to stop gun shooting in schools -

1. Make sure a gun never gets into the school or
2. Stop the shooter before he shoots.

Lawmakers have decided that #1 is the best way, and by that, they've made it harder to get guns.
MILLIONS of guns out there already, they think hindering the path to ownership of NEW guns will fix it,
although many think the only way is to disarm the entire nation.

And even with these measures - they get in anyway.

#2 has worked. You can say that the Great Mills incident would only have cost one life but we
don't know that. We do know that if you go armed to a school with a lot of bullets, you probably think
you'll shoot a lot.

That said, I don't think "arming teachers" is necessarily the answer or the best one.
I had teachers in school that I think were such buffoons that you could easily swipe back ANYTHING
they confiscated from students.

But aside from resource officers - I think cops should have a patrol car close at hand to schools
during school hours.

Because the ONLY THING that has ever stopped a shooter is another shooter.
You can't bluff someone into surrender without holding the cards.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Christ they can't be any more incompetent that these other "good guys with guns"...can they???

Oh great one, I believe you meant "than". But hey, you're the MOST HIGH of HIGHS, intellegence's intellect. We all must bow to your infinite wisdom regardless.

:bigwhoop:

black dog

Free America
There's two ways to stop gun shooting in schools -

1. Make sure a gun never gets into the school or
2. Stop the shooter before he shoots.

Lawmakers have decided that #1 is the best way, and by that, they've made it harder to get guns.
MILLIONS of guns out there already, they think hindering the path to ownership of NEW guns will fix it,
although many think the only way is to disarm the entire nation.

And even with these measures - they get in anyway.

#2 has worked. You can say that the Great Mills incident would only have cost one life but we
don't know that. We do know that if you go armed to a school with a lot of bullets, you probably think
you'll shoot a lot.

That said, I don't think "arming teachers" is necessarily the answer or the best one.
I had teachers in school that I think were such buffoons that you could easily swipe back ANYTHING
they confiscated from students.

But aside from resource officers - I think cops should have a patrol car close at hand to schools
during school hours.

Because the ONLY THING that has ever stopped a shooter is another shooter.
You can't bluff someone into surrender without holding the cards.

Everything else aside Sam, when the rubber meets the road the only way to stop a bad person with a gun, is a good person with a gun... If any person that visits a school or works for the school system is armed, when things go bad, it would be over much faster if a armed person was in the room or hallways when the shooting started.

I would suggest that you read Lott's " More Guns less Crime "

PsyOps

Pixelated
Everything else aside Sam, when the rubber meets the road the only way to stop a bad person with a gun, is a good person with a gun... If any person that visits a school or works for the school system is armed, when things go bad, it would be over much faster if a armed person was in the room or hallways when the shooting started.

I would suggest that you read Lott's " More Guns less Crime "

Someone soon will chime with the Waffle House shooting to dispute you.

I think it should be worded: "the most effective way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". Given our choices have become limited to just saying that, we need more James Shaws, willing to risk their own life to save many. I'm certainly not saying we have a world of cowards, but most people just aren't willing to do what is necessary to save lives when their own life might be a risk.

It seems this is the world we live in today; and I'm am constantly thinking about 'what would I do' where ever I go. What around me is a weapon. One thing a shooter expects less is for someone to act; the element of surprise. I suspect most active shooters are cowards and don't have much of an ability to fight beyond that firearm they are carrying.

black dog

Free America
Someone soon will chime with the Waffle House shooting to dispute you.

I think it should be worded: "the most effective way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". Given our choices have become limited to just saying that, we need more James Shaws, willing to risk their own life to save many. I'm certainly not saying we have a world of cowards, but most people just aren't willing to do what is necessary to save lives when their own life might be a risk.

It seems this is the world we live in today; and I'm am constantly thinking about 'what would I do' where ever I go. What around me is a weapon. One thing a shooter expects less is for someone to act; the element of surprise. I suspect most active shooters are cowards and don't have much of an ability to fight beyond that firearm they are carrying.

The numbers of disarming someone arn't that great, sure it happens and it happens often, but nowhere near the numbers that having a firearm with you puts a end to the situation. And most of those where the good citizen just lifts there shirt up and curtails bad behavior never get reported.
It's not just a good guy, it's a good citizen / person.
A few of us spent yesterday shooting at a large range north of me and there was a group of maybe 40 folks from a group of churches that had a few instructors giving active shooter classes to these church members, elders and ministers.
They were parked next to us and I would bet they shot 4-5000 rounds of 9mm in the 8-9 hours they had classes. They brought RVs to spend the night and we're shooting again today.
I've never seen anything quite like that..
Praise Jesus and pass the ammunition...

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
The numbers of disarming someone arn't that great, sure it happens and it happens often, but nowhere near the numbers that having a firearm with you puts a end to the situation. And most of those where the good citizen just lifts there shirt up and curtails bad behavior never get reported.
It's not just a good guy, it's a good citizen / person.
A few of us spent yesterday shooting at a large range north of me and there was a group of maybe 40 folks from a group of churches that had a few instructors giving active shooter classes to these church members, elders and ministers.
They were parked next to us and I would bet they shot 4-5000 rounds of 9mm in the 8-9 hours they had classes. They brought RVs to spend the night and we're shooting again today.
I've never seen anything quite like that..
Praise Jesus and pass the ammunition...

You're preaching to the wrong guy. You know the anti-gun narrative is anything that can show that guns aren't necessary. More so... anything to bolster the belief that NONE OF US can be trusted with firearms - PERIOD!

SamSpade

Everything else aside Sam, when the rubber meets the road the only way to stop a bad person with a gun, is a good person with a gun...

I agree.

But I also know how bureaucracy works, and the moment anyone suggests that teachers be armed, the idea will go up that every school will have some schmuck
who barely can find his ass with both hands be in charge of "the gun".

I am certain a lot of schools already have very capable persons who can handle a gun - just as I am sure there are a lot with NO ONE capable of comporting themselves
properly in such a situation. We already have people who don't trust COPS to make those life and death decisions - now, the idea is that we should broaden this, because
we don't want to hire a cop just to watch the schools.

And I think we should. Cops should have a shift every so often where they watch a school for six hours.