Speed demons

Kinnakeet

Why is it when Im going to work at 430am at 60mph people are passing me at what I assume to be about 70-90 mph are you already late for work or in a hurry...and yes I am in the slow lane..:patriot:

glhs837

Power with Control
Why is it when Im going to work at 430am at 60mph people are passing me at what I assume to be about 70-90 mph are you already late for work or in a hurry...and yes I am in the slow lane..:patriot:

People travel at the speed they feel safe, and a lot of roads around here, 70 isn't really unsafe. Assuming an attentive driver and decently maintained vehicle. Me, I keep it down to 7-9mph over.

steppinthrax

Because there are no cars on the road and it's during that time you can theoretically travel however fast you want making up for time. They are not late per-se, but the earlier they get to work the earlier they can leave. My suspicion is these individuals have agreed to getting to work during some crazy time (like 5:00am or 5:30) so every min counts.

I used to live in Baltimore and commute to DC every day for almost a year. Every min counted for me. I would wake up 5:00, leave the house 5:30 at a certain point in time every min later that I leave the house would equal to 5 mins of traffic.

Kinnakeet

People travel at the speed they feel safe, and a lot of roads around here, 70 isn't really unsafe. Assuming an attentive driver and decently maintained vehicle. Me, I keep it down to 7-9mph over.

70 is dangerous the faster you go the less time you have to react

Kinnakeet

just because there are no cars on the road does not mean you can almost run me over if you can leave 8

Hannibal

I am part of this (I drive from PF to Baltimore daily) and leave my house a few minutes before 5AM. As stated above, 5 minutes later can carry more than a 1:1 on arrival time due to the building traffic volumes. More so, there seems to be an unwritten rule that early in the AM where most people on the road are blue collar guys getting to their jobs (lots of construction / trades workers) and the cops generally leave them alone assuming they aren't being @sshats. Speeds are up but everyone is driving uniformly and not erratically. There is always good flow but there very much is the left lane = fast vs right lane = slow adherence.

Kinnakeet

I am part of this (I drive from PF to Baltimore daily) and leave my house a few minutes before 5AM. As stated above, 5 minutes later can carry more than a 1:1 on arrival time due to the building traffic volumes. More so, there seems to be an unwritten rule that early in the AM where most people on the road are blue collar guys getting to their jobs (lots of construction / trades workers) and the cops generally leave them alone assuming they aren't being @sshats. Speeds are up but everyone is driving uniformly and not erratically. There is always good flow but there very much is the left lane = fast vs right lane = slow adherence.
Here is a lesson for no one in particular I have to be at work at 6am I live in the outskirts of Laplata I work in Washington DC I leave my home at 430am I get to work at 515 - 530am isnt easier to leave alot earlier than to drive like a bat out of he!! to get to work.

Hannibal

Here is a lesson for no one in particular I have to be at work at 6am I live in the outskirts of Laplata I work in Washington DC I leave my home at 430am I get to work at 515 - 530am isnt easier to leave alot earlier than to drive like a bat out of he!! to get to work.

I think people do both. And there tends to be good flow in doing so - far better than later in the AM or on the way home. It seems that for the most part (apparently you excluded) that everyone is comfortable with the quicker pace of traffic during the morning haul to work.

3CATSAILOR

Isn't anyone concerned about traffic enforcement anymore?

glhs837

Power with Control

And 50 is more dangerous than 30. Obviously, if you dont have the sightlines to be able to spot and avoid obstacles then that speed would be unsafe. As to the deer argument, virtually the only people killed by deer are people who swerve to avoid them hit really deadly crap. Very few people are killed by deer strikes. There are times and places such speeds are safe, and other times and place it is not. But these things have very little correlation with posted speed limits, especially in MD.

nutz

Why, because you're a flex time employee and leave early or one of the construction types?

Kinnakeet

Why, because you're a flex time employee and leave early or one of the construction types?

No flex time set hours 6am-230pm I leave early so I do not have to drive like an azzhole to get to work when people do ride my rear I just let off the gas and sometimes speed up a little so they get caught behind the car next to me.:patriot:

Kinnakeet

And 50 is more dangerous than 30. Obviously, if you dont have the sightlines to be able to spot and avoid obstacles then that speed would be unsafe. As to the deer argument, virtually the only people killed by deer are people who swerve to avoid them hit really deadly crap. Very few people are killed by deer strikes. There are times and places such speeds are safe, and other times and place it is not. But these things have very little correlation with posted speed limits, especially in MD.

speed limit is 55 not a 105 as for your swerve lesson 70 you have less time than you do at 30 no matter how far you can see ahead unless you can see into the future.

luvmygdaughters

I live in Leonardtown, work in La Plata. I usually leave my house at 6:50 and arrive at work anywhere between 7:30- 7:45AM. I travel rt. 234 to Crain Highway. I leave at this time so I can avoid the school buses and it gives me a some lead time in case of traffic, accident, etc. I know my commute is fairly easy compared to some others, but, its easier for me to leave a little early instead of acting like a driver on the nascar circuit. My daughter lives in Chesapeake Beach and works on the base at Pax River. She leaves at 4:30 AM and arrives at work usually about 5:30 AM. She misses the traffic and the line up at the gate.

glhs837

Power with Control
speed limit is 55 not a 105 as for your swerve lesson 70 you have less time than you do at 30 no matter how far you can see ahead unless you can see into the future.

Don't think I ever recommended 105.... And I specifically mentioned that higher speed are only safe where you have the sightlines to support them.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

I see Z28 in your username. I sure hope you don't drive a car with an antiquated suspension like a '69 Camaro on our roads. My TDI was designed to handle the Autobon, so keep your rolling death trap out of my way. I know my commute and where the deer population tends to cross. Idiots driving clunkers while chatting on their cellphones are my biggest obstacle. That's why they invented 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS.

:neener: