1 Samuel 30 Horror in Ziklag

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 30:1 David and his men reached Ziklag on the third day. Now the Amalekites had raided the Negev and Ziklag. They had attacked Ziklag and burned it, 2 and had taken captive the women and everyone else in it, both young and old. They killed none of them, but carried them off as they went on their way.

3 When David and his men reached Ziklag, they found it destroyed by fire and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. 4 So David and his men wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep. 5 David’s two wives had been captured—Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 6 David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the Lord his God.

7 Then David said to Abiathar the priest, the son of Ahimelek, “Bring me the ephod.” Abiathar brought it to him, 8 and David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I pursue this raiding party? Will I overtake them?”

“Pursue them,” he answered. “You will certainly overtake them and succeed in the rescue.”

9 David and the six hundred men with him came to the Besor Valley, where some stayed behind. 10 Two hundred of them were too exhausted to cross the valley, but David and the other four hundred continued the pursuit.​

Now... if each of them only had two relatives...that's 1200 people [women and children]. That's quite a feat.... getting away with that crowd of people in tow.

This is from Bible.org.

When David and his men approach the city of Ziklag, they are horrified to see that the city has been destroyed and their families taken captive. No one has been killed, but every living soul has been taken. It is little comfort that their families are still alive. Each man imagines what is happening (or would soon happen) to his wife and children. At best, they will become slaves, to be worked hard and cruelly treated. At worst . . . no one even wanted to consider this. David’s two wives also are taken.

These 600 fighting men are greatly distressed by what has happened to their city and their families. They weep until they have no sobs left. Then they began to think about how this came to pass. It had been David’s plan to bring them to the land of the Philistines (27:1-4); it was David’s request that they live in this remote city of Ziklag (27:5-6), and it was David who led them off to fight with the Philistines, leaving their families vulnerable to just such and attack. Some are so angry there is talk of stoning David.​

As is often the case, tragedy turns David’s heart toward the Lord. This chapter is another one of David’s finest hours. David first strengthens himself in the Lord, and then He turns to the Lord for specific guidance concerning their families and those who have kidnapped them. David asks the Lord to reveal whether he should pursue those who have taken their loved ones. Will he overtake them if he does pursue them? The answer to these questions is “Yes!” God assures David he will not only overtake this band, but he will also completely rescue all that has been taken.

Every time I see that they are going to the Umin from the Ephod... I think of a Magic 8 Ball. I just can't get that image out of my head. All the women and children had been taken. The town had been burnt to the ground.... and there sits David... playing with a Magic 8 Ball. I would want to stone him too!

No... it wasn't like that. It was more horrific.... there was nothing but ash where families were supposed to be. There was nothing but ash where children were supposed to be playing. David was responsible.... they blamed David because he was in charge.... and it was David that led them all away from Ziklag to go set up a war camp for the Philistines. Sure they were mad. Sure they wanted to stone him. No doubt David wanted to stone someone, anyone, too if it would bring his two wives home to him.

This is from foundations for freedom.net.

Ever feel like giving up? David did, but he learned how to strengthen himself in the Lord. The Lord in a wonderful way pulled David from a colossal mistake he had made that impacted many around him.

:coffee: