Free College

SamSpade

Actually - it's means-tested and caps at 5000 a year - which actually WOULD pay for a year of tuition at CSM at 12 credits a semester.

But it's 15 million for the state - which sounds to me like a LOT of people are getting nothing.

officeguy

Silly shell game. State takes money from it's right pocket, moves it to it's left pocket and claims that they have done something of value.

steppinthrax

Comm college is pretty ####ing cheap. I also imagine there's gonna be stipulations attached. If someone makes a low income (min wage) and they need to increase their job skills comm college is a good way. But if you are making a rock bottom wage (very low) it's kinda tough paying for even cheap comm college. Most employers cover tuition expenses (at ft etc)...

limblips

PREMO Member
"Students would have to take 12 credit hours and have a high school GPA of at least 2.3." Scriminatin' against people who don't test well or who are attendance challenged.

steppinthrax

"Students would have to take 12 credit hours and have a high school GPA of at least 2.3." Scriminatin' against people who don't test well or who are attendance challenged.

2.3 is a pretty ####ing low GPA. That's like a C-. I graduated HS with a 3.5 and I feel bad knowing many grad with a 4 or 3.95 etc...