Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: New Wi-Fi router

  1. #11
    Wow. I measured 76.5 Mbps on the copper and only 27.0 on the wireless.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Wow. I measured 76.5 Mbps on the copper and only 27.0 on the wireless.
    Soooo - aren't we supposed to be getting 150?

    And do you still rent the modem? I realize renting theirs doesn't make a lot of sense, but I do know if I replace it I have to go through the irritation
    of calling their tech and having them recognize it. Happened the last time I upgraded.

    I'm just wondering if the speed is there but I'm constrained by the modem they issued me.
    I know the Arris TM822 is a fairly robust modem - but I am wondering if I am getting what I am paying for.
    There's no point in paying for 150 and getting 50.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  3. #13
    Ok, I just checked my bill - it's pretty much the identical Metrocast bill page, except they changed the scenery.
    Otherwise, everything is the same, right down to the services provided - it even names the bundle VIP digital,
    which ABB does not offer.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Soooo - aren't we supposed to be getting 150?

    And do you still rent the modem? I realize renting theirs doesn't make a lot of sense, but I do know if I replace it I have to go through the irritation
    of calling their tech and having them recognize it. Happened the last time I upgraded.

    I'm just wondering if the speed is there but I'm constrained by the modem they issued me.
    I know the Arris TM822 is a fairly robust modem - but I am wondering if I am getting what I am paying for.
    There's no point in paying for 150 and getting 50.
    Yes, I rent their modem. Truthfully I don't remember what speed I'm supposed to be getting. I dug through all my old bills and service paperwork, and I don't see it listed anywhere. All I do know is that I had the VIP Basic bundle with Metrocast.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Yes, I rent their modem. Truthfully I don't remember what speed I'm supposed to be getting. I dug through all my old bills and service paperwork, and I don't see it listed anywhere. All I do know is that I had the VIP Basic bundle with Metrocast.
    I guess I assume it would be faster, since none of their packages show anything slower than 100.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Yes, I rent their modem. Truthfully I don't remember what speed I'm supposed to be getting. I dug through all my old bills and service paperwork, and I don't see it listed anywhere. All I do know is that I had the VIP Basic bundle with Metrocast.
    Here is and updated cost sheet from VA. http://www.townofportroyal.us/2018_0...RateChange.pdf

    It notes VIP Basic should have "turbo" level internet, which is now 100Mbps. 75 is pretty close, but it still wouldn't hurt to have the signal levels checks. The wifi performance is another issue.

  7. #17
    Registered User warneckutz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    11,730
    For what it's worth, don't rent the equipment. Metrocast was renting out modems that could only handle 50 Mbps when the speeds offered were higher.

    Shop Amazon or Best Buy for your modem or router or modem/router. I went with a Netgear modem and I had a Netgear Nighthawk Router already. I had Metrocast's 150 Mbps as of this past December and I noticed after someone mentioned a speed change after a full reboot of their equipment. I did that and a firmware upgrade, then I was getting 200 Mbps on wireless as well as hard-wired.

    (Ensuring your router is up to date on the firmware is a HUGE deal as I found out - not just for your security safety but also being able to pull the speed from your ISP)
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

    It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by warneckutz View Post
    For what it's worth, don't rent the equipment. Metrocast was renting out modems that could only handle 50 Mbps when the speeds offered were higher.

    Shop Amazon or Best Buy for your modem or router or modem/router. I went with a Netgear modem and I had a Netgear Nighthawk Router already. I had Metrocast's 150 Mbps as of this past December and I noticed after someone mentioned a speed change after a full reboot of their equipment. I did that and a firmware upgrade, then I was getting 200 Mbps on wireless as well as hard-wired.

    (Ensuring your router is up to date on the firmware is a HUGE deal as I found out - not just for your security safety but also being able to pull the speed from your ISP)

    Do you have a model that you recommend? Obviously, I want one with telephony. I was nearly tempted to just buy one exactly like the one Metrocast issued me, just to be reasonably sure of a seamless transition.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

  9. #19
    Registered User warneckutz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    11,730
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Do you have a model that you recommend? Obviously, I want one with telephony. I was nearly tempted to just buy one exactly like the one Metrocast issued me, just to be reasonably sure of a seamless transition.
    I ordered this modem (NETGEAR CM700 (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Gigabit Cable Modem. Max download speeds of 1.4Gbps): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M981YYL...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    And I ordered this router (NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router): https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Night...gear+nighthawk


    All you have to do is hook up the new modem and call Atlantic Broadband and give them the MAC address of the new modem and you're set (I'd call to ensure nothing special is required but it shouldn't be)

    There are other Nighthawk models (some cheaper and some more expensive) but I like this one because it's range is amazing (I can stream my music with no issue from the back of my yard (I think that's 70-80 yards from the router?) and it uses dual bands (which I didn't use until now) - so, certain wireless items can only use the old speeds (my garage door opener for example) while you can use your cell phone, Apple TV, FireStick, laptop, etc on the faster side. It also offers VPN support so if you want to do anything from your phone and you're elsewhere you can make adjustments.
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

    It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by warneckutz View Post
    I ordered this modem (NETGEAR CM700 (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Gigabit Cable Modem. Max download speeds of 1.4Gbps): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M981YYL...ing=UTF8&psc=1

    And I ordered this router (NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router): https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Night...gear+nighthawk


    All you have to do is hook up the new modem and call Atlantic Broadband and give them the MAC address of the new modem and you're set (I'd call to ensure nothing special is required but it shouldn't be)

    There are other Nighthawk models (some cheaper and some more expensive) but I like this one because it's range is amazing (I can stream my music with no issue from the back of my yard (I think that's 70-80 yards from the router?) and it uses dual bands (which I didn't use until now) - so, certain wireless items can only use the old speeds (my garage door opener for example) while you can use your cell phone, Apple TV, FireStick, laptop, etc on the faster side. It also offers VPN support so if you want to do anything from your phone and you're elsewhere you can make adjustments.

    So I am guessing you don't have telephone with Atlantic Broadband also? I noticed this one doesn't have telephony.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Members who have read this thread: 55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |