Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Wi-Fi router

New Wi-Fi router

I've had our current router a couple years - and I'm clearly not getting the speeds we should be capable of.
    I know Atlantic Broadband has increased our speeds.
    Last speedtest I ran - 30 Mbps. Something ain't right.

Has anyone had any luck improving their speeds with a router upgrade?
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I've had our current router a couple years - and I'm clearly not getting the speeds we should be capable of.

That's about the speed I got after installing the new Hitron modem with wireless router from Atlantic BB.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Can you hard wire ethernet temporarily to remove the wifi performance from the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by koan00 View Post
    Can you hard wire ethernet temporarily to remove the wifi performance from the equation?
    To test how much I'm getting right off the cable? I could. I have a bad feeling about it - I already have connected straight onto the router and that's all I got.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Did you have greater than 30 Mbps previously? If not, your cable modem is probably an older DOCSIS 2 modem. You'll need a DOCSIS 3 to get anything greater than 30 Mbps.
    Anyone who tells you that the negative is not just as important as the positive has obviously never jump-started their car.

If your connecting with modern wifi (N or AC) you should really have no problem maxing out your connection on a speed test, even in a congested environment.

Coincidentally, your speeds are in line with the maximum you could expect from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. If your cable modem isn't DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1, you will never see the higher speeds and should consider upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    If your connecting with modern wifi (N or AC) you should really have no problem maxing out your connection on a speed test, even in a congested environment.

Coincidentally, your speeds are in line with the maximum you could expect from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. If your cable modem isn't DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1, you will never see the higher speeds and should consider upgrading.
    REALLY thought - however - that ABB was giving us 150Mbps.

To test how much I'm getting right off the cable? I could. I have a bad feeling about it - I already have connected straight onto the router and that's all I got.
    I would suggest testing wired to router and then after that, directly to the modem. If they give you all the same low speeds, then likely the issue is modem or something upstream. Two more questions: What model modem do you have? Which internet speed package are you subscribed to?

Quote Originally Posted by koan00 View Post
    I would suggest testing wired to router and then after that, directly to the modem. If they give you all the same low speeds, then likely the issue is modem or something upstream. Two more questions: What model modem do you have? Which internet speed package are you subscribed to?
    I've done both. Somehow I have this gut feeling I am not getting the speeds ABB is advertising. 50, tops.

I have the Arris modem that Metrocast gave(? rents?) me, and I know it's recent - upgraded less than a year ago.

I don't know what package I am getting from ABB - I assume it's the same one I had from Metrocast - their "bundle" with TV, Internet and phone - which had one tier less than their most expensive channel selection.
    Last edited by SamSpade; 05-11-2018 at 07:00 AM.

I've done both. Somehow I have this gut feeling I am not getting the speeds ABB is advertising. 50, tops.

I have the Arris modem that Metrocast gave(? rents?) me, and I know it's recent - upgraded less than a year ago.

I don't know what package I am getting from ABB - I assume it's the same one I had from Metrocast - their "bundle" with TV, Internet and phone - which had one tier less than their most expensive channel selection.
    Just call ABB, they should be able to sort you out. I called last night..about 15-20 minutes on hold to get to someone.

Members who have read this thread: 55