2 Samuel 2 Long live King David

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 2:1 In the course of time, David inquired of the Lord. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked.

The Lord said, “Go up.”

David asked, “Where shall I go?”

“To Hebron,” the Lord answered.

2 So David went up there with his two wives, Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. 3 David also took the men who were with him, each with his family, and they settled in Hebron and its towns. 4 Then the men of Judah came to Hebron, and there they anointed David king over the tribe of Judah.

When David was told that it was the men from Jabesh Gilead who had buried Saul, 5 he sent messengers to them to say to them, “The Lord bless you for showing this kindness to Saul your master by burying him. 6 May the Lord now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this. 7 Now then, be strong and brave, for Saul your master is dead, and the people of Judah have anointed me king over them."​

The easy English site hasn't popped up in the searches lately. This morning, there it was, clear as crystal.

After Saul’s death, David wanted to leave the Philistines’ country. David came from the tribe of Judah. Many people from Judah had been loyal to David while Saul had been chasing him. David wanted to return to his own country. But he did not make his own decision. He asked the Lord. In 1 Samuel 23:9-12, David wanted to know the Lord’s decision. So David called for Abiathar, the priest, and for the ephod. David probably called for Abiathar this time too.

The town called Hebron was about 43 kilometres (27 miles) north east of Ziklag. In Genesis chapter 23, Sarah, who was Abraham’s wife, died at Hebron. Abraham bought some land so that he could bury Sarah there. Later, Abraham’s sons buried him there too (Genesis 25:7-10). So, Hebron was an old town. In 1 Samuel chapter 30, David attacked the people called Amalekites. David defeated them. He took all their animals and other possessions. Then he sent some of these things to the towns where leaders had helped him. Hebron was one of those towns. So, David knew Hebron and it became his home for 7 years and 6 months (verse 11). He moved his family there. He also moved all his men and their families. There were many villages round the town. So there was plenty of room for all David’s men, their families and their animals.

Saul was dead. His son Jonathan was also dead. The Philistines had defeated the Israelites. So now the Israelites had no king. This was a dangerous time for the nation of Israel. The leaders of the tribes and towns had to choose a new king. The men from the tribe of Judah knew David and his army. David’s army had helped and protected Judah. David was a good soldier. The men from Judah trusted him. So they anointed David as their king. Samuel had anointed David as king of Israel many years before (1 Samuel 16:1-13). We do not know whether the people of Judah knew about this. But they chose the man that God had already chosen. David became king of just one tribe at this time. He did not become king of the whole of Israel until chapter 5.

The town called Jabesh Gilead was 130 kilometres (80 miles) north of Hebron. It was on the east side of the river Jordan. This town had a strong connection with Saul (1 Samuel chapter 11; 1 Samuel 31:11-13). David was grateful that the men from Jabesh Gilead had buried Saul and his sons (1 Samuel 31:12-13). This included David’s friend Jonathan. The men from Jabesh had been brave and kind. And they had shown honour to the king. So, David sent them a message. He asked God to bless them. But in verse 6, David also said that he would be good to them. So perhaps David realised that he would soon be their king. In verse 7, David reminded them that their king was dead. He said that he was now king of Judah. Perhaps David hoped that the rest of Israel would choose him as their king too. So, he tried to make friends with as many people as possible.​

I found this remark in Bible.org.

As I study the life of David, I find he spent a great deal of his time waiting. David had to wait something like 15 years from the time he was first anointed by Samuel to the time he became king over Judah (as recorded in our text). It was another seven years before David was anointed king over all Israel. This means David waited over 20 years of his life to be made king.​

:coffee: