Appeal Landfill items

BOP

I know Appeal will take carpet, but they're not really clear on when they'll take it. Sunday? No?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Are they even open on Sunday? We found out the hard way that St. Mary's isn't.

Chris0nllyn

Only household trash on Sundays. No carpet. You'll have to bring that during the week or Saturday before closing. Drive on the scale, get weighed, drive to the big building around back, dump carpet, come back on scale, pay and leave.

Remember it's cash or check only, no cards.

SamSpade

Yup. I was there yesterday. :yay:

A couple guys I know from the county say the SAME greeting while there -

"Droppin' off - or pickin' up?"

(For the record, I've never taken something HOME I found at the dump or transfer station - even if I wanted to).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A couple guys I know from the county say the SAME greeting while there -

"Droppin' off - or pickin' up?"

(For the record, I've never taken something HOME I found at the dump or transfer station - even if I wanted to).

They no longer allow people to leave stuff off to the side for others to take home.

Goldenhawk

They no longer allow people to leave stuff off to the side for others to take home.

Which makes sense from a transfer station cleanliness and business perspective. If you want to give stuff away, Freecycle or donate to a thrift shop and get the tax deduction.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Which makes sense from a transfer station cleanliness and business perspective. If you want to give stuff away, Freecycle or donate to a thrift shop and get the tax deduction.

Exactly. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Exactly. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I miss the old days, when we had real landfills and several of them. My wife used to refer to the one closest to us back then (7D) as the "exchange"...because I'd often come back with more than I took. ;-)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I miss the old days, when we had real landfills and several of them. My wife used to refer to the one closest to us back then (7D) as the "exchange"...because I'd often come back with more than I took. ;-)

When I was little, it was a treat to go to the dump with my Dad. Then go get donuts. It is now known as Shoreline Amphitheater. :lol:

Goldenhawk

My parents were not well off - we were comfortable but there was no such thing as each of us owning an iPhone and an MP3 player and guitar amp and xBox and a laptop... my first stereo system, 8 track player, lamps, small furniture, and many more cool toys came from the trash transfer station where we went each week. Amazing what some people will throw away. I also learned a lot about electronics repair by bringing home gently-broken stuff and resurrecting it for my own use. It's a shame that things cost more to fix than to replace today, because far too many potential geeks and engineers will never get their start from such fiddling.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My parents were not well off - we were comfortable but there was no such thing as each of us owning an iPhone and an MP3 player and guitar amp and xBox and a laptop... my first stereo system, 8 track player, lamps, small furniture, and many more cool toys came from the trash transfer station where we went each week. Amazing what some people will throw away. I also learned a lot about electronics repair by bringing home gently-broken stuff and resurrecting it for my own use. It's a shame that things cost more to fix than to replace today, because far too many potential geeks and engineers will never get their start from such fiddling.

I still have one of several small outboard motors (2 - 7.5 HP) that I retrieved from the landfill. At one time or other I had each of them pushing my old skiff around St. Patrick's Creek. I was always broke back in those days...but found ways to get around some of the drawbacks of that, thanks to the landfill. At one time or other, my push mower, weed wacker and power washer were all "recovered" from the dump. ;-)

1stGenSMIB

That reminds me, I have a gas powered leaf blower, a pressure washer and a small (1400 watt) generator I want to get rid of. They all worked at some point, but probably need some work now to get running again. Someone that has more patience than me may want to have a go. I bought an electric blower that is easier for the wife to handle, and the pressure washer is one of the older school low-slung big footprint suckers that leaks oil (i've rebuilt the pump, but didn't help). It runs OK, but I am ready to get rid of it. The generator got my fridges & fish tank thru Hurricane Irene, but it isn't big enough to run the well pump.

Can you take this crap to the landfill (I am in St. Mary's Co.) or will someone on freecycle possibly want it?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That reminds me, I have a gas powered leaf blower, a pressure washer and a small (1400 watt) generator I want to get rid of. They all worked at some point, but probably need some work now to get running again. Someone that has more patience than me may want to have a go. I bought an electric blower that is easier for the wife to handle, and the pressure washer is one of the older school low-slung big footprint suckers that leaks oil (i've rebuilt the pump, but didn't help). It runs OK, but I am ready to get rid of it. The generator got my fridges & fish tank thru Hurricane Irene, but it isn't big enough to run the well pump.

Can you take this crap to the landfill (I am in St. Mary's Co.) or will someone on freecycle possibly want it?

Try Freecycle.

Heck, I got my gently used lawn tractor from a member one here 10 years ago. My ex-husband picked it up and fixed it up for me. Still runs. :yay: