Big storm brewing!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Somd Weather sez:

Potential exists for a derecho with widespread damaging winds across
parts of the Central Appalachians and Lower Mid-Atlantic States this afternoon into early evening. A broad swath of scattered severe storms producing large hail and damaging wind is expected from the late afternoon into the evening.

NOTE: A derecho is a line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds. Derechos are rare to see. We saw one a few years ago.

:yikes:

Hannibal

Somd Weather sez:

Potential exists for a derecho with widespread damaging winds across
parts of the Central Appalachians and Lower Mid-Atlantic States this afternoon into early evening. A broad swath of scattered severe storms producing large hail and damaging wind is expected from the late afternoon into the evening.

NOTE: A derecho is a line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds. Derechos are rare to see. We saw one a few years ago.

:yikes:

Last one was 2012 - June 29th to be exact. I had no idea it was coming and was awoken by the non-stop lightning flashes and debris hitting the house. Went out on the front porch to check out the storm and made it out in enough time to hear (as it was pitch black aside from the lightning) the tops of several trees snap and thump down into the yard. The morning allowed me to see the damage including numerous trees down in the neighborhood.

I was working in ANC and couldn't get hold of anyone (phones were jacked). They had numerous uprooted trees and fences blown over. Even by mid-morning, the roadways were littered with debris and dead traffic lights.

Crossing my fingers this is nothing like that one. That was a nasty SOB. One of natures rarest (and most widespread) events.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I guess everything weather has a special name these days.

I used to just call them storms.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Co-worker had her flight from Seattle to Baltimore cancelled an hour ago due to forecasted weather tonight in the DC-Balt area.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They're calling for a pretty amazing thunderstorm and tornado warnings to the north.

If I were you all I'd make soup right away.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Drove home from Solomons right in the middle of it. Fortunately I cleared the bridge before the worst hit. I want to tell people that do not feel comfortable driving in those conditions that there is no shame in pulling over on the shoulder to wait it out. The 12 cars stacked up behind you while you ride the brake to maintain 20-25 mph will thank you.

Drove home from Charlottesville to Lex Park this afternoon. Lots of trees and limbs down all along Rt 20 and Rt 3.

Had some good lighting in Charlottesville, but nothing particularly dangerous.