I don't know why they do this.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was trying to read a story on WSJ about the trend to create conservative-friendly TV shows and movies, but WSJ makes you pay to see their content. So I went to Axios to see if I could at least find the gist, which most times is all I really want anyway. Here's today:

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-am-2ba9c770-daa8-4991-8c4e-14c56804cf24.html

8. A moviemaker courts Trump country

"Making Movies in the Trump Era for the Audience Hollywood Ignored ... Producer Dallas Sonnier fled Los Angeles to create ‘populist entertainment'" — Wall Street Journal's Erich Schwartzel (subscription):

In his October release, “Brawl in Cell Block 99,” Vince Vaughn "portrayed an out-of-work mechanic who killed Mexican drug dealers to protect his wife from a forced abortion. It had a tiny theatrical release with little media coverage, but its DVDs were a hit at Walmart as soon as they hit the shelves."

Why it matters: "Hollywood has occasionally targeted conservative moviegoers, releasing faith-based movies in specific neighborhoods or producing patriotic blockbusters such as 'American Sniper.' The difference is that Mr. Sonnier is betting a whole company on a strategy of finding consumers he says are 'outside the coasts,' marrying ideology with opportunism."

I also thought this was interesting:

The big picture, from Rodney Benson, chair of NYU's Department of Media, Culture, and Communication:

"Many of the media moving toward subscriptions have disproportionately left-liberal audiences."
"While liberal media draw their circles ever tighter around themselves (via paywalls, high-level content, etc.), conservatives are fighting to extend their mass reach."

I'm not sure what that means in the big picture, as far as motive, but making your content selective and for paid subscribers only doesn't seem like the smartest move in this information age. Most of what you want to know, you can get for free regardless of your ideological proclivities.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Air America couldn't find enough Progressive Support to Keep Going ........ :

That's because progs don't want to pay for anything - they want YOU to pay for it. That's a basic "Progressive" tenet: how to get other people to pay for #### they want.