Parkland school resource officer pension of $8,702 a month

transporter

This is why municipal, state and federal employee unions should not be allowed to have political components. No lobbying professional, no PACs, no donations or union directed campaign assistance.

The union, when active in elections, is helping to choose the people who they will sit across the table from during contract and pension negotiations. This is a clear and obvious conflict of interest. This is quite similar to having your business take an investment check from China while you, as President, work to remove sanctions on Chinese firms.

As it relates to the officer, he retired (or was allowed to retire...in other words he was not fired) so he should get paid the pension he earned. Naturally, CNN did not provide the calculation method of the pension....nor the officer's final salary.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This is why municipal, state and federal employee unions should not be allowed to have political components. No lobbying professional, no PACs, no donations or union directed campaign assistance.

:shocking:

something I can agree with ... Public Sector UNIONS Should be abolished

Chris0nllyn

As it relates to the officer, he retired (or was allowed to retire...in other words he was not fired) so he should get paid the pension he earned. Naturally, CNN did not provide the calculation method of the pension....nor the officer's final salary.

His pension is based on the total number of years he worked and the average of his five highest-paid fiscal years

He was a deputy for 32 years and made $101,879.03 last year.

I agree about the unuions and think public service unions are entirely too powerful (an argument beat too death on here) but this guy worked for 32 years, unless he was suspected of being a criminal, being a coward doesn't take away that pension.

Chris0nllyn

It's also worth noting that Florida immediately passed legislation after MSD shooting relating to police and retirement/pension.

Effective March 9, 2018, this legislation, cited as the “Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act”, eliminates reemployment limitations for retired law enforcement officers by allowing them to be reemployed as a school resource officer and receive their retirement benefit and salary during their seventh through twelve months after retirement.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/7026/BillText/er/PDF

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

His pension is based on the total number of years he worked and the average of his five highest-paid fiscal years He was a deputy for 32 years and made $101,879.03 last year.
I agree about the unuions and think public service unions are entirely too powerful (an argument beat too death on here) but this guy worked for 32 years, unless he was suspected of being a criminal, being a coward doesn't take away that pension.

$101,879 a year! For being a cop! There is absolutely no reason in the world why any deputy or police officer should be paid that much. And in retirement being paid $104,424! What a crock of sh*t!

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

$101,879 a year! For being a cop! There is absolutely no reason in the world why any deputy or police officer should be paid that much. And in retirement being paid $104,424! What a crock of sh*t!

I grew up with quite a few guys that went into LE in Montgomery, PG and Alexandria, VA. The income they make is incredible, two friends are PG officers that work at the jail, one is a dog handler and the other works inside. They all walk past 100 grand a year.
My kid sister was a Detective when she left Jacksonville's Sheriff Dept after about twenty years, I'm embarrassed to say what she will get when she turns 65 from that county. It's crazy for sure..

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

Wow, city cops in my hometown make about $50k/year no wonder they can't keep them.

black dog

Free America
Wow, city cops in my hometown make about $50k/year no wonder they can't keep them.

They don't make that in my town, but we have a constant rollover with maybe 2 paid officers leaving and going to work in the bigger departments ( we only have 11 and that includes the Chief and asst Chief ) so two to three per daily shift.
And we generally have 10+ reserve officers at any given time, but they are here just for the hours and the background it gives them to get on FT at another dept.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I grew up with quite a few guys that went into LE in Montgomery, PG and Alexandria, VA. The income they make is incredible, two friends are PG officers that work at the jail, one is a dog handler and the other works inside. They all walk past 100 grand a year.
My kid sister was a Detective when she left Jacksonville's Sheriff Dept after about twenty years, I'm embarrassed to say what she will get when she turns 65 from that county. It's crazy for sure..

I wonder what Norfolk PD get paid. My cousin and her son in law are both LEO's.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Starting salary for Md. State Trooper is $46,920 dollars a year.

If they give it to me in writing, that I could shoot as many people as I wanted on a daily basis, it would totally be worth the pay cut!

:yay:

officeguy

If they give it to me in writing, that I could shoot as many people as I wanted on a daily basis, it would totally be worth the pay cut!

:yay:

You can ! Just remember the phrases: 'furtive movements', 'in my experience as law enforcement officer' and 'I was afraid' and blast away.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

It took him 32 years to build up to that salary level. COPS just starting out don't make a whole lot of money. The ones who stay in it for the long haul get awarded for that.

officeguy

It took him 32 years to build up to that salary level. COPS just starting out don't make a whole lot of money. The ones who stay in it for the long haul get awarded for that.

He is also in an area with high cost of living. Iirc he is in late 50s, I don't see a problem with him making that kind of coin at the end of a long career. Up in NY, there are a couple of departments where you make that kind of money 3-4 years in and where folks pull a quarter mil for low level supervisor gigs. That is where things get a bit silly.

Chris0nllyn

That $100k+ number also includes about $25,000 in overtime and other compensation. I think his normal pay is about $76k

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
That $100k+ number also includes about $25,000 in overtime and other compensation. I think his normal pay is about $76k

So, do those years in which there was all that overtime count toward his high-five years when determining his retirement pay? You know, "He should receive retirement based on $76K but we have to factor in all those $110K years."