2 Samuel 3 Abner and Joab

seekeroftruth

The king sang this lament for Abner:

“Should Abner have died as the lawless die?
34 Your hands were not bound,
your feet were not fettered.
You fell as one falls before the wicked.”

And all the people wept over him again.

35 Then they all came and urged David to eat something while it was still day; but David took an oath, saying, “May God deal with me, be it ever so severely, if I taste bread or anything else before the sun sets!”

36 All the people took note and were pleased; indeed, everything the king did pleased them. 37 So on that day all the people there and all Israel knew that the king had no part in the murder of Abner son of Ner.

38 Then the king said to his men, “Do you not realize that a commander and a great man has fallen in Israel this day? 39 And today, though I am the anointed king, I am weak, and these sons of Zeruiah are too strong for me. May the Lord repay the evildoer according to his evil deed.

Good morning all. Still on the road. I'll be back home some time today.

David didn't want to start out as king this way. A general is dead.... a revenge hit has taken place right outside of Hebron, [like a sanctuary city]. This is horrible. David wants to do what is right for God. David stood up for God against Goliath and the Philistines. He stood on the right side in the cave where he could have killed Saul but didn't. He did what was right when he took Saul's spear and water jug instead of killing him. Heck, David could have taken out Abner that same night but he didn't.

According to blueletterbible.org..... David believed that revenge belonged to God.... not David.

:coffee: