Trump lags behind his predecessors on economic growth

transporter

In fact, the data show that compared to his predecessors, Trump’s record so far falls somewhere between unremarkable and substandard. Moreover, other economic data suggest that the current expansion will likely wind down before his term ends, and his boasting will ring hollow once the economy slips into recession.

It is commonly said that a President deserves some credit or blame for the economy’s performance only after he’s been in office about six months. On those terms, let’s measure Trump’s words against the record for real GDP growth over the last three quarters (July 2017 through March 2018). Over those quarters, GDP has grown at an annual rate of 2.6 percent. Comparing that pace to his last nine predecessors over comparable periods in their first terms, Trump here bests the four presidents who faced recessions in their first year in office (Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon). Trump’s other five predecessors came to office, as he did, during economic expansions. Among them, he’s tied for last place: Real GDP growth under Trump over the three quarters has lagged Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Lyndon Johnson and John Kennedy, and tied George H.W. Bush, as the data in the following table shows.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...s-behind-his-predecessors-on-economic-growth/

Hmm...have to include this piece for our economically challenged Gilligan:

Many economists (myself included) pointed out that Trump’s tax and regulatory changes would likely have little effect on investment. The truth is, U.S. companies had been able to borrow the funds to invest for virtually nothing for a decade, adjusting for inflation. So, there was little holding them back from investing here except a shortage of attractive opportunities, and Trump’s changes didn’t alter that reality in any meaningful way.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
our economically challenged Gilligan:

The one that stumbles and bumbles along running an international business for 31 years?...that Gilligan? :drool:

BTW...any fool/tool that includes partisan crap like this in their "reasoned" article is a joke, silly girl. :yay:

So, Trump has to bet his reelection hopes not only on somehow getting a pass from the Mueller investigation.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Many economists (myself included) pointed out that Trump’s tax and regulatory changes would likely have little effect on investment.

Opinion, Supposition, Innuendo, and Speculation .... not TRUTH or Facts

Every post you make is against anyone or any group that doesn't conform to your propagandist viewpoints.

I'll Just Leave this Here ....

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If Trump didn't have to clean up so many #### pots left behind by our first token president, things may have looked a whole lot different by now...

Hijinx

If Trump didn't have to clean up so many #### pots left behind by our first token president, things may have looked a whole lot different by now...

If Trump had a political party that backed him things would be different.
Instead he has to fight Democrats and Republicrats.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If Trump had a political party that backed him things would be different.
Instead he has to fight Democrats and Republicrats.

Yeah, you'd think that maybe the career politicians would take notice and maybe do a little genuflecting to we the people, and try to figure out why this guy got elected. No, they think their constituents are a bunch of deplorables and misguided boobs, and with enough "news" and ridicule, we will once again bend to their will. I truly hope this is just the beginning of fundamentally changing America back to the great nation she once was. It is past time for term limits...

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yeah, you'd think that maybe the career politicians would take notice and maybe do a little genuflecting to we the people, and try to figure out why this guy got elected. No, they think their constituents are a bunch of deplorables and misguided boobs, and with enough "news" and ridicule, we will once again bend to their will. I truly hope this is just the beginning of fundamentally changing America back to the great nation she once was. It is past time for term limits...

:yay:

SamSpade

I'm always kind of baffled by data which suggests that Carter ever did anything but preside over a "malaise" - a sluggish economy.
He had the highest "misery index" recorded.
So much of the data would say otherwise - but I remember those days quite well.

I'm also baffled that Reagan would get such poor marks, because outside of the early sixties boom - he presided over the largest expansion
of our economy ever.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This is moronic at best. Trump has been on office 16 months and Trans expects Trump to have recovered the losses created under Obama. This deserves a nice little :bigwhoop:

And let's not forget about that unpatriotic debt amassed under Obama.