Local Elections

tom88

Here are the contested primary races in St. Mary's County. Who has your vote and why?

Clerk of the court: Debbie Burch
Pete Cucinotta

Sheriff: Tom Phelan
Tim Cameron

State Senator: Jack Baley
Steve Waugh

County Commissioner: Eric Colvin
Mike Daras

County Commissioner: AnnMarie Abell
Rose Frederick

Hijinx

Here are the contested primary races in St. Mary's County. Who has your vote and why?

Pete Cucinotta

Tim Cameron

Steve Waugh

Mike Daras

Rose Frederick

Tim Cameron has my vote for Sheriff. Why change something that is working well.

tom88

Tim Cameron has my vote for Sheriff. Why change something that is working well.

I agree with that. I know the sheriff and I know his democratic opponent. I would choose Tim over the democrat easily. I don't know the republican challenger Phelan. I can't figure out why he's running.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Pete Cucinotta

Tim Cameron

Steve Waugh

Mike Daras

Rose Frederick
Clerk of the Court...no issues
Sheriff....Cameron’s done a great job
Senator...Waugh F’d up. Voted against the best hope for a two term Governor.
County Commissioner.....Dara’s is an ass. I know him personally.

County Commissioner....Abell...I like Blue Bloods....

JMHO

BOP

I live and die by the "throw the bums out" adage. I won't vote for a libprog, but other than that, if they're an incumbent, they've got to go.

Hijinx

Clerk of the Court...no issues
Sheriff....Cameron’s done a great job
Senator...Waugh F’d up. Voted against the best hope for a two term Governor.
County Commissioner.....Dara’s is an ass. I know him personally.

County Commissioner....Abell...I like Blue Bloods....

JMHO

I am going with Rose Frederick.

tom88

I live and die by the "throw the bums out" adage. I won't vote for a libprog, but other than that, if they're an incumbent, they've got to go.

The only incumbents are Waugh and Cameron. I can't see why I would want to replace Cameron with a guy who has never been a cop or run a police agency. In my mind, Cameron's done a pretty good job. What sense does it make to replace him?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know any of those people except Tim Cameron, so I will probably only vote to keep him Sheriff and skip the rest. He's done a great job for St. Mary's. :yay:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Sheriff Mike Evans ! Tried, Proven and Effective !

I don't know about that. He's taken a whole lot of heat lately. Craig Kontra is definitely giving him a serious run for all the huge, huge, amounts money he is spending. You can tell Evans is fighting for his job with all the signs he's put out. And with his followers putting vehicle wraps, paid for by his campaign, on their cars to promote him. Way way way more than he has ever done or put out in prior runs. He is running scared. With good reason, I think anyway.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The only incumbents are Waugh and Cameron. I can't see why I would want to replace Cameron with a guy who has never been a cop or run a police agency. In my mind, Cameron's done a pretty good job. What sense does it make to replace him?
I don't think of the sherrif as a purely political position, it's a law enforcement job. Wouldn't replace him on a whim like a regular pol.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I like Tim Cameron as well. Don't know much about the other candidates for Sheriff. Haven't been impressed with Waugh.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I may ...

I don't know about that. He's taken a whole lot of heat lately. Craig Kontra is definitely giving him a serious run for all the huge, huge, amounts money he is spending. You can tell Evans is fighting for his job with all the signs he's put out. And with his followers putting vehicle wraps, paid for by his campaign, on their cars to promote him. Way way way more than he has ever done or put out in prior runs. He is running scared. With good reason, I think anyway.

If it resurfaces, the video he and one of his deputy's were in that emerged right after the last election, will likely hurt him. I think it was called "Oh Officer" and was made by a local aspiring country star (if I recall her husband was the other deputy in the video). Many said if it had been made public before the last election, he probably would not have won again.

tom88

So I went to the League of Women Voters forum last night, the closest thing they have to a debate. I am closer to voting for Bailey, I just want to read some of the legislation that Waugh signed onto or sponsored.

I definitely am voting for Cameron. Phelan didn't even know what the fourth amendment of the constitution was about. He actually said he would have to go back and study his 10th grade civics books. He also said that he may not fire someone who has been found to have lied in their official capacity as a deputy sheriff! I couldn't believe that! What type of good ole boy system would he have?

As far as commissioners, the only one I have made a decision on is Howard Thompson. He showed up last night while Guy didn't.