2 Samuel 4 Escape of Mephibosheth

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 4:1 When Ish-Bosheth son of Saul heard that Abner had died in Hebron, he lost courage, and all Israel became alarmed. 2 Now Saul’s son had two men who were leaders of raiding bands. One was named Baanah and the other Rekab; they were sons of Rimmon the Beerothite from the tribe of Benjamin—Beeroth is considered part of Benjamin, 3 because the people of Beeroth fled to Gittaim and have resided there as foreigners to this day.

4 (Jonathan son of Saul had a son who was lame in both feet. He was five years old when the news about Saul and Jonathan came from Jezreel. His nurse picked him up and fled, but as she hurried to leave, he fell and became disabled. His name was Mephibosheth.)

5 Now Rekab and Baanah, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, set out for the house of Ish-Bosheth, and they arrived there in the heat of the day while he was taking his noonday rest. 6 They went into the inner part of the house as if to get some wheat, and they stabbed him in the stomach. Then Rekab and his brother Baanah slipped away.

7 They had gone into the house while he was lying on the bed in his bedroom. After they stabbed and killed him, they cut off his head. Taking it with them, they traveled all night by way of the Arabah. 8 They brought the head of Ish-Bosheth to David at Hebron and said to the king, “Here is the head of Ish-Bosheth son of Saul, your enemy, who tried to kill you. This day the Lord has avenged my lord the king against Saul and his offspring.”

9 David answered Rekab and his brother Baanah, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, “As surely as the Lord lives, who has delivered me out of every trouble, 10 when someone told me, ‘Saul is dead,’ and thought he was bringing good news, I seized him and put him to death in Ziklag. That was the reward I gave him for his news! 11 How much more—when wicked men have killed an innocent man in his own house and on his own bed—should I not now demand his blood from your hand and rid the earth of you!”

12 So David gave an order to his men, and they killed them. They cut off their hands and feet and hung the bodies by the pool in Hebron. But they took the head of Ish-Bosheth and buried it in Abner’s tomb at Hebron.​

I know... it's supposed to be about the murder of Ish-Bosheth.... but the murder isn't nearly as heartwarming as the good news that Jonathan's son has escaped.

This is from blueletterbible.org.

This was the son of Jonathan, David's good friend, who died with his father on the field of battle. Mephibosheth was the last male descendant of Saul with a strong legal claim to the throne of Saul. At this time he was only 12 years old - and he was lame.

As she made haste to flee, that he fell and became lame: Mephibosheth was weak because of circumstances beyond his control. He was weak because of his age, and because of injury that came from the hand of another.​

Now that we've established the fact that Jonathan's son [king Saul's grandson] is alive.... we can go on to the murder of Ish-Bosheth.

This is also from blueletterbible.org.

When Ishbosheth heard that the man who put him and propped on the throne was dead, he knew that his day was almost over. He trusted in man to gain his position, so when the man was gone he knew his position would be soon gone.

They stabbed him in the stomach: Ishbosheth didn't gain any real loyalty among his troops; they were only loyal to him when they thought he was strong and had a chance to keep the throne of Saul. When the weakness of Ishbosheth was exposed Rechab and Baanah murdered him.

2 Samuel 4:2 reminds us that Rechab and Baanah were of the children of Benjamin. This was the tribe that Saul's family came from. This means that it was fellow Benjaminites who murdered Ishbosheth.

Who was lying on his bed at noon: The mid-day siesta wasn't unusual in that part of the world, but the absence of guards points to carelessness on the part of Ishbosheth. "To sleep at noon, and without a guard, speaketh him both sluggish and secure. He dieth therefore in his sloth, who had lived slothfully all his days." (Trapp)

Shall I not now require his blood at your hand and remove you from the earth? Rechab and Baanah thought David would be pleased to see the severed head of Ishbosheth. They underestimated David's loyalty to God and the house of Saul. David was loyal to his pledge to honor and preserve Saul's family and descendants (1 Samuel 24:20-22).

David commanded his young men, and they executed them: David swiftly made an example of these murderous men. They were not soldiers fighting together with him; they were murderers who deserved just punishment.​

Well.... another chapter down.... but what is it saying exactly.... from a story point of view.

This is from GodVine.

From Joshua 9:17, it might have been expected that the population of Beeroth would be Canaanite. But from some unknown cause the Canaanite inhabitants of Beeroth had fled to Gittaim - perhaps the same as Gath - and continued there as sojourners. If this flight of the Beerothites took place at the time of Saul's cruel attack upon the Gibeonites 2 Samuel 21:1-2, Baanah and Reehab may have been native Beerothites, and have been instigated to murder the son of Saul by a desire to avenge the blood of their countrymen. The fact of their being reckoned as Benjamites is quite compatible with their being Canaanites by blood.​

So Baanah and Reehab had been in attacked by Saul's army. So... when they had the opportunity to take their own revenge on the house of Saul.... Ish-Bosheth was an easy target. They thought David would be pleased. After all, who didn't know that Saul had been chasing David and his men all over for years. Maybe these two thought David would give them a great position for their dirty deeds.... they were murdering for revenge but the thought of promotion for Ish-Bosheth's enemy would be gravy.

Problem was.... David didn't see Saul or Ish-Bosheth as adversaries or enemies. He saw Saul as God's anointed and Ish-Bosheth was Saul's youngest son. So it was necessary that David have these men beheaded.... they did, after all, kill the ruling king.

The good news is.... Jonathan's son made it out alive.... he wasn't murdered with Ish-Bosheth that day.

:coffee:

Last edited: