2 Samuel 5 David becomes King

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 5:1 All the tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and said, “We are your own flesh and blood. 2 In the past, while Saul was king over us, you were the one who led Israel on their military campaigns. And the Lord said to you, ‘You will shepherd my people Israel, and you will become their ruler.’”

3 When all the elders of Israel had come to King David at Hebron, the king made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel.

4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5 In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years.​

The first time I read the Bible from Genesis to Revelations, I got confused. I could not figure out what happened to Israel and Judah. I couldn't figure out why they split. So now I know to watch these things a little closer and point them out.

The first split happened at the death of king Saul. Israel split when Judah made David their king while the rest of Israel was ruled by Saul's only surviving son Ish-Bosheth. After Ish-Bosheth's general was killed by David's general in an act of revenge, David's general was also put to death. So that left David, king over Judah..... and the rest of Israel had no king.... until now. Now David becomes David, King of all of Israel.

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

Then all the tribes of Israel came to David: Prior to this, only one of the tribes of Israel recognized David as king. The other tribes recognized the pretend king Ishbosheth, a son of Saul. Ishbosheth was murdered is recorded in 2 Samuel 4 - so now the tribes turn to David.

We are your bone and your flesh: The elders of Israel received David's leadership because he was an Israelite himself. This was significant because for a period of time David lived as a Philistine among the Philistines. The elders of Israel put that away and embrace David as one of their own.

You were the one who led Israel out and brought them in: The elders of Israel received David's leadership because he already had displayed his ability to lead.

The LORD said to you, "You shall shepherd My people Israel, and be ruler over Israel": The elders of Israel received David's leadership because it was evident God called him to lead.

These three characteristics should mark anyone who leads God's people.

• - A leader must belong to God's people in heritage and heart
  • - A leader must demonstrate capability to lead
  • - A leader must have an evident call from God

The elders of Israel received David's leadership when they saw these things in David. When we see these same things in leaders we should also receive their leadership.​

And they anointed David king over Israel: 1 Chronicles 12:23-40 describes the great assembly that gathered in Hebron to recognize David as king over all Israel. Chronicles describes the impressive army that came to Hebron, and numbers the ranks at over 340,000 men. It then describes the scene: All these men of war, who could keep ranks, came to Hebron with a loyal heart, to make David king over all Israel; and all the rest of Israel were of one mind to make David king. And they were there with David three days, eating and drinking, for their brethren had prepared for them … for there was joy in Israel. (1 Chronicles 12:38-40)

David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty-three years over all Israel and Judah.

David was thirty years old: This is a good measuring point for David's life. Samuel anointed David when he was about 15, and he did not take the throne until 30. David spent at least 15 years in preparation for the throne of Israel.

Heads up.... while I was trying to get this Israeli split straightened out, I realized that Israel is going to split again. But for now... the kingdom of Israel is under King David.

One more tiny little note. There is one surviving heir to Saul's throne. Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth, Saul's grandson, is still in hiding. He's crippled due to fleeing from the men who murdered Ish-Bosheth. David doesn't know that Saul has a surviving heir.

:coffee:

Last edited: