Has anyone dealt with the Social Security Office in Charlotte Hall

RPMDAD

Has anyone dealt with the Social Security Office in Charlotte Hall, not having a lot of luck using the online registration for Social Security. Does anyone know, are you allowed to go to any Social Security office
someone told me since i live in Huntingtown, Calvert County, i have to go to the Charlotte Hall SS Office.

black dog

Free America
Has anyone dealt with the Social Security Office in Charlotte Hall, not having a lot of luck using the online registration for Social Security. Does anyone know, are you allowed to go to any Social Security office
someone told me since i live in Huntingtown, Calvert County, i have to go to the Charlotte Hall SS Office.

No I haven't but,
One would think that it would have to be better than going to Clinton.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's been almost 7 years, and at the time it was a blur, but I was somehow able to get a live person on the phone and make an appointment. When I arrived, there was a long line of people waiting outside the door to wait their turn in a line. I got the major stink eye form ALL of them. I was there to get SSD benefits for my minor daughter due to the death of her father. Maybe that is why I was able to get an appointment. I do clearly remember that the employees were all very caring and helpful.

I wish you luck.

I used CH last year, it wasn't bad at all. I was in and out in under a half hour to register for SS at age 62. I can't remember if I had an appt or not, seems to me I just arrived, signed in and took my chances.

On your cell phone, google Charlotte Hall social Security Office. When it comes up, scroll down looking for "Popular Times" and select a day. It will show you when it's busiest.

There are also reviews of the office in the same google search.

beamher

unless it changed within the last year, you do not need an appointment to apply for SSC. Not certain if you called about the online issue but it may be a lot easier. I just preferred handing my info and correct documents to someone and you get confirmation on site that they received all your required documents and when to expect your new card in the mail.

Grumpy

Make an appointment, dropped in there last summer and the line was long. People that had appts came and went while I stood in line with a dozen other folks. I finally gave up and muddled thru the process online.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Are you getting ready to retire?? Congrats if so :huggy:

GregV814

I made the terrible mistake of even walking into that United Nations refugee rathole about 2 years ago. Take my advice, go online OR make an appointment in another town to pursue or ask questions.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I was there today. In and out in about 1 hour the first time. Had to go back a second time because I didn't know I would need our marriage certificate to prove I was married to my husband for 41 years, done in 15 minutes!!!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I've been there a number of times, and it was a hassle most every time. I only go because I am the Rep Payee for Thing1 (my older son) and SSA won't allow online acccounts for individuals with a Rep Payee. :rolleyes:

The first time I went, the line was out the door. As I waiting in the line, you could see the guard "who keeps order in the court" made no bones about letting you know he is armed. I made a mistake of stepping over a line that you are supposed to stand behind and he acted like I was trying to rob a bank. He also wouldn't let me even ask a question until I was called to the first window - only to have to wait again, once I was in the queue. The clerks that I talked to were condescending or downright rude. Thing1's SSI/SSDI issues are never just cut & dry - so I always need to verify or confirm issues. I always get someone who isn't sure of the answers and we have to get another person involved. Ugh. I was there for over 3 hours without an appointment.

The 2nd time I went Mr. Armed Security Guard was just as serious about his job as the first time. He wouldn't even let an elderly lady come in and sit on a bench while her daughter waited in line for her. The 3rd time I went things were MUCH more improved. The guard was not as much of an a**hole, and the lines weren't as long, and while they still seem to take their time, the people did move out faster than the first couple of years I went. Also, the people I got to speak with were much, much nicer to work with. :yay:

officeguy

I've been there a number of times, and it was a hassle most every time. I only go because I am the Rep Payee for Thing1 (my older son) and SSA won't allow online acccounts for individuals with a Rep Payee. :rolleyes:

The first time I went, the line was out the door. As I waiting in the line, you could see the guard "who keeps order in the court" made no bones about letting you know he is armed. I made a mistake of stepping over a line that you are supposed to stand behind and he acted like I was trying to rob a bank. He also wouldn't let me even ask a question until I was called to the first window - only to have to wait again, once I was in the queue. The clerks that I talked to were condescending or downright rude. Thing1's SSI/SSDI issues are never just cut & dry - so I always need to verify or confirm issues. I always get someone who isn't sure of the answers and we have to get another person involved. Ugh. I was there for over 3 hours without an appointment.

The 2nd time I went Mr. Armed Security Guard was just as serious about his job as the first time. He wouldn't even let an elderly lady come in and sit on a bench while her daughter waited in line for her. The 3rd time I went things were MUCH more improved. The guard was not as much of an a**hole, and the lines weren't as long, and while they still seem to take their time, the people did move out faster than the first couple of years I went. Also, the people I got to speak with were much, much nicer to work with. :yay:

If you like the CH SSA office, you would have loved the original designs for obamacare.

But yes, in recent years, once you get through to a person at the counter, they are for the most part helpful.

Grumpy

As I posted earlier, have been there once and that guard is a total azzhat, none of what you posted is exaggerated.

Popster

Yep, the wait can be long. The staff is competent and polite once you get your turn. Just a reminder (and a kick to the hornet' nest) the the Republican congress cut funding of staff by 40% just to prove that government was not efficient. They want to turn turn social security over to a private firm for efficiency.. Go figure

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yep, the wait can be long. The staff is competent and polite once you get your turn. Just a reminder (and a kick to the hornet' nest) the the Republican congress cut funding of staff by 40% just to prove that government was not efficient. They want to turn turn social security over to a private firm for efficiency.. Go figure

The Republican Congress may well have cut the funding (I don't have time to prove or disprove that statement) but the staff at this office have not always been polite NOR efficient. The staff probably changes/turns over, so I'm not sure who all is there NOW and was there back when I first started going there. The last time I went (last year) was the FIRST time I'd ever been there and they weren't ALL rude. But I still had to wait an extremely long time. It was crazy long. If that office was turned over to a private firm, who had to BE ACCOUNTABLE, I'm sure it would run more efficiently.

I personally, have been dealing with SSA since Thing1 (my son) was 18yrs old. That's 9 years now. First time was over here in Calvert County when they had a satellite office at The Pines Senior Center and then at Charlotte Hall when they opened. There were MANY times I would much rather have pulled out my eyelashes one by one than to have dealt with the people at SSA. Especially when they were here in Calvert - those were some of the THE MOST incompetent, and downright mean individuals that I've ever encountered. They treated MOST people like complete idiots, and some were extremely nasty to elderly people. I waited in line and then sat waiting for more than half the day one time. I know that was so, because I had to end up taking the whole day off and my boss was not happy with me about it. I had a lot of time to observe while I was waiting.

Anyone who knows me "in real life" knows that I keep extensive records for my son, in order to keep his benefits and such organized, and I am extremely organized. I go to my appointments completely ready, and YET, each time they seem to require "one more thing" that I might not have. (I usually do, I keep a notebook of all kinds of paperwork to anticipate their requests. I've gotten better at it - I used to carry a briefcase!).

The people in SSA - no matter where they are located (I understand the one up in Suitland or whereever it is located - is 10X worse than what I ever experienced) work for the American Taxpayers. Period. Even the armed guard at the SSA offices. They all work for us and to treat even 1 US Citizen poorly is a disgrace. There is really no reason at all to ever be rude to anyone.

/offsoapbox